Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       04-12-2009, 6:00 PM Reply   
I have an 2003 Mastercraft X2. The clarion head unit that we have in the boat currently is broken and it is time for an upgrade. I was looking into the Alpine head units and am stuck between the CDA-9886M and the iDA-X100M. Do any of you guys have experience with these head units and should I buy the marine version of them (opposed to the normal version)? A side question is can I buy a subscription to sirius radio for only 3 months? I use the boat from June through August and wouldn't want to pay for sirius when I'm not in the boat. Thank you in advance for the responses.

Chqwakeboarder

Upload
Upload
Old     (cbennett224)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-12-2009, 6:29 PM Reply   
I have the iDA-x100 in my truck. The only real problem with the unit is that the display doesn't show the whole song. The screen is really too small to do so sufficiently, so you end up only seeing the first or second word of the title. The head unit is a very nice one but that is really the only problem with it.

I have also had experience with the alpine CDA-9886. I think it is a better unit since it has the cd player and the unit scrolls the song title so you are able to see what song your are looking at easier.

They really are basically the same when it comes to the ipod control. They are both great units, but preferably I would choose the CDA-9886.

And to answer your second question no you don't have to get marine grade as long as you have a cover over the unit. It all depends basically if you usually run with the cover open or shut, or if it is in the path of water a lot. If not you would be fine without marine grade.
Personally, I don't run a marine grade head unit in my boat and it works just fine.

Hope this helps some, if you have any more questions you can contact me.
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       04-12-2009, 7:05 PM Reply   
Thank you. My current head unit is in the glove box so I believe that I will go normal head unit. Also, what is the difference between the cda-9886 and the cda-9884?
Old     (cbennett224)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-12-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
Basically the real difference is the CDA-9886 replaced the 9884 essentially. It is basically alpines newer version. It basically has a little faster output relay to your ipod, and it provides a better screen with more visual effects. The CDA- 9884 just has a basic display. I believe they don't really sell the 9884 anymore at least thats what I found recently.

The 9886 is a little more money than the older 9884 but overall it is really easier to operate as far as opening playlists and finding certain tracks, and it is a little quicker also. But really unless you do a test where the units are next to each other you can't tell the difference between the two.

Really though, the iDA-X100M has really the best ipod functionality out of all three. But like I said before I don't think it is really worth the extra money since it doesn't have a cd player and is basically is the same unit as far as functionality unless you want a cooler looking display, but most people don't even look at the head unit in a boat so really I don't believe its necessary (just my $.02)

Hope that answers your question.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-12-2009, 8:18 PM Reply   
The title will scroll,you have to turn it on.Go to the display menu then choose "text scrolling".
Old     (cbennett224)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-12-2009, 8:27 PM Reply   
Hmm Jay... I have searched the menu on mine left and right and I have never found that. Did they have that in the menu the first year the ida-x100 came out?
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-12-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
I have the very 1st one the IDA-X001 and I can do it on mine and I just looked online at the X100 manual and it is in there also.
Old     (cbennett224)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-12-2009, 8:32 PM Reply   
Okay, I will check it out tomorrow i must be looking in the wrong menu...thanx
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-12-2009, 8:39 PM Reply   
Enter set up menu,select display,enter,select text scroll,enter,select type 1,type 2 or off,enter.I think it only will scroll the song title,not album title or artist.

(Message edited by wakebrdjay on April 12, 2009)
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-12-2009, 8:49 PM Reply   
I have a Kenwood marine H.U. with cd player and ipod interface and I haven't used the cd 1 time.I have the 1st version of the car IDA in my van and am very happy with it.
Old     (cbennett224)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-12-2009, 9:10 PM Reply   
So really it all depends if you just plain use your ipod or use ipod and cd's...... it seems Chqwakeboarder you can pick which ever you like best they really do about the same anyway.

Good luck!
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-12-2009, 9:52 PM Reply   
If you plan to mainly just use an iPod why not just use the iPod and skip the head unit? Some of the head units have nice iPod controls, but I just use my iPod. Just a thought.
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-13-2009, 1:30 AM Reply   
I would go with the 9886m simply becuase of the output voltage, which is 4v compared to 2v on the other deck. from what I understand, you'll get cleaner sound. I just installed the 9886m and am real happy with it. I went with marine grade because my boat is not stored inside and did not want to have any issues with moisture and what not. I'd go marine grade, just one less thing to worry about. Hope this helps.
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       04-13-2009, 6:36 AM Reply   
We also store our boat outside. The only thing that i'm worried about is the moisture ruining the unit. My next question is what is the difference between the marine grade and he non marine grade? As I mentioned earlier, the unit is in the glove box, so it will never be exposed to a lot pf water at one time. However, I'm worried about the moisture for the compartment underneath the passenger seat getting into the head unit and gradually ruining it over time.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-13-2009, 7:26 AM Reply   
Yes, you can buy just a 3 month subscription of Sirius.
Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       04-13-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
The idax100m has a 24 bit Burr Brown DAC converter. This is the newest cleanest form of audio re-production. I called Alpine and they told me that as well as a local stereo shop.
The problem is that the unit only has the 2 volt pre-outs but if you have an equalizer then you dont have to worry about it because the eq will boost the signal anyways.
Old     (bradcraig78)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-13-2009, 8:13 AM Reply   
Does either unit allow the use of a good lcd display transom remote? One that will let you do more then just skip to the next song. We do a lot of floating
Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       04-13-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
yes, they both will allow you to plug in the wireless remote made by Alpine. It has been a long wait for them to release it but I hear they are shipping now.
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-13-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
From what I understand, marine grade simply means they coat the electronics inside to prevent corrosion, the face has some sort UV coating, and they are supposed to hold up better to the elements overall.