Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (darkstar)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-11-2006, 6:20 AM Reply   
Hey,
So I started riding with a 06 absolute. Prob not the best board to start with. When I finally started hitting the wake right, I could not handle the pop. So I went to a 06 Premier and felt that I was not getting enough pop. Anyone know something with pop in between these boards. I was thinking of trying a LF fish. I can not DEMO boards where I live.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-11-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
I have an 05 Fish that I bought (new), road once and meant to sell. It's sitting in my basement, I sort of forgot about it.

It rides through Chop awesome. Good pop. At the time, last last summer, I didn't want to take the time to learn a new board, so I stuck with my Hyperlite.

If you want it, I could swing you a good deal. It's been ridden by me once, my friend once and that's it.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-11-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
The fish is a different board. Not everyone likes it. I on the other hand love it. I would disagree with what Craig said about riding in chop. That's the worst part about the board to me. Due to it being a wide board it wants to pop of any little chop. I'm not really sure why you can't get good pop of the premier. That board should do just fine. Maybe you need to work on your fundamentals a little more before you keep changing boards.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-11-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
Like ant said:
"Maybe you need to work on your fundamentals a little more before you keep changing boards."
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-11-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
The 06 Absolute is one of the best boards on the market, you should have stuck with it and put some time on it before just switching boards.
I agree with Ant, sounds like you need to work on your fundamentals and quit changing boards, changing boards all the time is just going to hurt your progression.
There is no such thing as to much POP.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-11-2006, 8:25 AM Reply   
I'm going to agree with the fundamentals too. I can more easily get big air on certain boards but I can get big air on just about any board, including my old 98 Double Up.

Also you talk about how you "felt" like you weren't getting enough pop. Have a friend videotape you and then watch yourself and watch an instructional video. I made the most progression after having a friend videotape me and seeing how much I was doing wrong.

I'd say stay with your Premiere. My friend rides a Fish and loves it but he said that it is the worst board he's ever been on for handling chop.
Old    lebeau            08-11-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
I agree with ant as well. I tried many boards (including the Fish, Substance, and Premier)before ultimately purchasing the 06' Absolute. I though it was the boards that were affecting my riding (POP, Cut, etc.)until I spend 1 day at a local wakeboard school. For me, my technique was not right and on wide board like a fish it was amplified!
Old     (darkstar)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-11-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
Cool thanks a lot. Do you guys think that the buck I get from the absolute will make me develop bad habits. Or will I adapt to it and get used to it. It just seems very violent.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-11-2006, 9:16 AM Reply   
You will adapt to it, all the problems you are having are more of basic fundamental problems then board problems. The Absolute is a beginner friendly board IMO. I have alot of beginner/ intermediate riders on the Absolute that take lessons from one of my riders that do really well on the board and its not to agressive or it dosent pop to hard for them.
Old     (darkstar)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-11-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
Cool thanks for all the input...I appreciate all the help...
Old    lebeau            08-11-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
The Absolute simply rocks...stay on this board you will not regret it. It's considered a mild 3 stage board...Some say its similar (in rocker line)to the Premier. Is the buck pulling you out of whack in the air? Are you keeping your arms straight as you cut in towards the wake? Hips up and shoulder back?
Old     (darkstar)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-11-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
The buck is pulling me out of whack a little bit. My feet come up behind me like superman, but I am not going for that effect, it just seems to shoot me up and my feet come behind my head.
Old    lebeau            08-11-2006, 11:58 AM Reply   
Are your arms bent as you approach the wake? I was keeping my arms bent and when I hit the wake I would straighten them out. This caused me to get out of whack in the air and killed the pop. I was told to keep my arms straight as I cut into the wake and this helped me out a ton. Granted my instructor said I had the rest of the cut correct so this little switch helped me out. Once I perfect this W2W then I will be able to let my arms bend in as I work on other tricks. Get your hands on a copy of "The Book"...this is a great resource.
Old     (darkstar)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-11-2006, 12:04 PM Reply   
Cool man, I really appreciate all of the help.. I have access to the book, need to watch it a few more times. Thanks for everyones input.