Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old    milo_lite            05-23-2005, 9:06 PM Reply   
Saw it on ebay, maybe someone should take one for the team and see if it really works and put give tips to everyone..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4550871904&catego ry=26455
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-24-2005, 4:38 AM Reply   
I am a dealer and have dealt with people who have these guides. It just takes longer to strike the same deal. Dealers have a walk away price they will sell at or not sell at. If you present yourself as a "high maintenance" customer, then that price is higher because of all the overhead that you will consume. People with the "book" or believe that they have "inside information" are always "high maintenance." Figure it out for yourself.

If you want a good deal, be friendly, courteous, polite and be willing to help the dealer out with marketing by referals. Make sure you can afford the boat you are looking at - have pre-qualified financing in hand. Offer a reasonable price for the boat that you think is fair. If that price is at or above the walk away price, you have a deal.
Old    jzwake            05-24-2005, 6:15 AM Reply   
Karl is pretty dead on.

Dealers hate high maitenance customers. And by High, I mean the people who want the boat for free then, Don't want to read the owners manual, they'd rather just call the dealer with every single question. They loose so mich time and have headaches with these people.

The shop I ride for walked away from a big commision sale (25 BU) because the guy was just being obsurdly silly, calling twice a day and such.

Some dealers suck, some customers just suck. Its just how it is.

Those guides have some prudent info as well as bogus stuff. With a little research on this site you can get better info.

Old    milo_lite            05-25-2005, 9:24 AM Reply   
Yes I really understand your point. But as there is customers that are very high maintenance and just want to get the most juice out of the dealer they are also dealers that just want to bend us over. I guess they make their most money on first time buyers, as I was, i dont think I got bend over on my deal but rather on my customer service, i dont expect to be treated like royalty but just how someone spending alot of money on a boat hsould be treated. This is a whole different subject though, but I just am curious on what are some good inside tips to show up to a dealership, and all the ones your mentioned I cant seem to agree more. On another note, i wasnt trying to bash the dealers like you Karl so hope no hard feelings taken.
Old    zboomer            05-25-2005, 12:59 PM Reply   
I guess I'm unusual. I pound pretty hard for a good price on a boat, but then pretty much disappear off the dealer's radar except for providing good references if they are worth it.

I negotiated a very long time on my current boat, but they haven't seen me back once except for my initial 10-hr service, which was smooth. I've contacted my sales person a few times, but only to ask how it's going, and shoot the breeze.

Not everyone looking for a good price is high maintenance, but I know many are. And I know exactly the type of customer you're talking about. I had a buddy like that, who would freaking take his car in almost weekly for ANY little thing. A speck of glue on the carpet, anything. Damn that was irritating.
Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-25-2005, 1:06 PM Reply   
I guess I am unusual too, and I guess therefore not getting the best deal? I have been royally screwed before so I work work work to get a good price. And on both of my trucks and my boat I have never contacted the dealer other than regular maint and to buy aftermarket parts.