Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-18-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
What do you guys do when you put the trailer into reverse and the surge brakes lock up.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-18-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
There is usually a manual lock out on the toungue of the trailer. Some trailers have an automatic lockout that is activated with a 6 pin harness with you back up lights.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-18-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
if it's not set up already to disable when in reverse.

Remove the harness and plug the 1st post into the female connection that controls your headlights. They just turn on your headlights and it will disable the surge brakes.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-18-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
Yeah, my trailer has what matthew said. When I put my truck in reverse, it releases the brakes.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-18-2006, 11:16 AM Reply   
There should be a manual over ride that you stick in which is a metal piece normally. I had the same problem and I had to have 2 relays replaced to get my back up senor to work on my electrical harness. Once that was fixed everything work the way it should. What type of trailer do you have?
Old     (kscales)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-18-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
On our DHM, when we reverse on a flat, it is fine ( lock out) but going up a slight incline ( driveway) it locks up... is this normal? I was just unplugging the harness/ and brakes until I can find a solution.

We have the 6 pin connector as well.
Old    deltahoosier            12-18-2006, 12:39 PM Reply   
It should not lock up, that is why you have an electrical bypass of surge brake.
Old    r3612            12-18-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
Yup the six pin should release the blakes when the reverse lights come on.

Pulling the plug def won't help at all. Will still allow them to lock. Like others said take that last male pin on the trailer and plug it into the female closest to the male on the truck harness and turn on the lights....should disengage.
Old    redneckonaboard06            12-19-2006, 11:16 AM Reply   
If its a newer chevy or ford, I think Dodge also, should take a 7 way connector for it to disable the brakes?
Old    r3612            12-19-2006, 1:09 PM Reply   
Sorry for the miss info........MNY 02 Yukon XL only has five pin harness/adapter from the trailer which releases the brakes when I put the truck in reverse. My trailer has surge and discs. 2004 Boatmate Tandem.

Maybe I"m confusing the connections.....The part coming out of the truck is actually a 7pin.....then there is an adapter that chjanges the round 7 pin into a flat 5 pin that connectsthe trailer to the truck.

Your guys that are havin g the problem in reverse....when your trailer is connected to the truck is there 1 extra connection that is not being used on the trailer adapter? If so just head to pep boys or a local auto parts store and yo can pick up a new plug that will fit the back of your truck that will give you that extra connection. the part is like 20$
Old    redneckonaboard06            12-19-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
The Hidden Hitch part number is 30703. That is a 7 way round connector that a 5 way flat plugs into.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-19-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
Put the trailer tongue on the back of the boat.
Old     (mim3)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-19-2006, 2:30 PM Reply   
I carry a thin long bolt just in case of emergency. Pull forward to release, stop slowly, and insert bolt.
Old     (ncsumoomba)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-19-2006, 3:00 PM Reply   
KJ is right, it is a 5 pin harness not 6 pins. If you use a 5 pin harness you should have no trouble at all. Those little metal lockout pieces always fall out anyway. Flipping the harness and turning the lights on will work, but you should only do that temporarily until you get the right wiring harness.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-19-2006, 6:29 PM Reply   
FLOOR IT !!!