Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-15-2008, 9:21 PM Reply   
This week end was supposed to be a great time with my kids,and friends at lake Tulloch for some Fathers day relaxation, and some good water time. For the most part, thats how it was, untill it was time to go home. I had everything hooked up, and we were rolling down Hwy 4 at around 50 mph. The road is a rolling hill type of area that is normally a breeze for my 06 F250 Deisel. For some reason, things just didn't feel right, when suddenly...BAM.. I lost all power, but the motor was still running. My Turbo gauge was on 0. There wasn't any metal grinding sounds, just the whine of a free wheeling turbo. I'm hoping that maybe just a booster line blew, and the rest is O.K. I had to call AAA for a piggy back tow. My rig on the roll back, and the Tige in tow. It cost me $405.00 for a 48 mile tow. Not really bad considering thats just the cost of some board racks that we wouldnt think twice about buying. Just sucks, because I know this is probably going to cost me some BIG COIN.
Anyone know anything about turbos?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-15-2008, 9:41 PM Reply   
if the noise you made is sounding right it seems similar to what my friends car did (hmong car turbo'ed and not deisel so maybe different) and it ended up something with an oil line came off and the turbo was fried
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-15-2008, 9:49 PM Reply   
It sounds like you just blew off an intercooler hose somewhere between your turbo and the intercooler itself. If its an '06, then you have a 6.0L. Its an easy fix, just loosen the clamp and slide the hose back on, then retighten. Not to uncommon during high boost situations. If this is the case, then don't worry, you didn't cause any damage at all. Hope this helps
Old     (turbonine)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-15-2008, 11:42 PM Reply   
Sounds like an IC boot blew off.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-16-2008, 7:05 AM Reply   
I hope its somthing simple like what Nick and Jason are talking about. Good luck Greg. Let us know what the mechanic's say.
Old    mendo247            06-16-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
Defintely sounds like a hose or boot blew. Should be a simple fix. Ill keep my fingers crossed for you.
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-16-2008, 7:17 AM Reply   
Im with Nick. Sounds like you blew a hose off the turbo. My dads Ford did this shortly after having an injector replaced. We pulled over and were able to reconnect the hose to the turbo. All was ok. It did just what you said. All the sudden there was a big blast of air with a loud POP! Motor kept running but no boost. We pulled right over just like you did im sure when we heard the noise. It sounded like something way worse happened.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-16-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
My 6.0 liter blew the hose off quite a few times...it is an easy roadside fix. Went to an aftermarket hose clamp after the 3rd or 4th time.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-16-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
Turbo hose blew off. Sounds like a gun shot and will scare the poop out of you. Where you pulling hard at the time?
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-16-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
It will be covered if your under 3/36 if your over the 36k then it will go to the 5/100k on the motor and cost you 100 bones.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-16-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
If you're still under warranty you should be able to get some trip reimmbursment and towing help too.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-16-2008, 2:02 PM Reply   
face planter: Unfortunatly, I pretty much live in my truck. I have 106,000 miles on it. Yes it's an 06. So much for the warranty thing. I had my boat in tow, pushing what seemed like harder than it should have been.

Good news!!! Hose blew off !!! Easy fix !! I'll let you know the $ damages as soon as I hear back from them.

Question: Why would the hoses blow off? Too much pressure? If so, can something else be wrong to be making that much pressure on an easy hill climb?
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-16-2008, 2:06 PM Reply   
I'm not trying to slam you or anything, but did anyone even look under the hood? The hose fix is a complete no brainer, 3 minutes tops, and that includes the time to round up the screwdriver you need to re-install the clamp.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-16-2008, 2:09 PM Reply   
The hose is attached to the filter/airbox, which is fixed, and to the turbo inlet, which tends to move around as the motor rocks on it's mounts. it's not unusual for them to work loose. I got into the habit of checking mine whenever I checked my oil, and a couple of times I could see where it had begun to walk off the inlet tube.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-16-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
Meathead, No slams taken. I did open the hood, but it was probably 100 degrees outside, and a very HOT engine compartment. I have, what "G" discribes as a "Jacked up whistle tipped" truck, and I was in no mood to try to climb up to see what was going on. If it happened in my drive way, it would have been a differant situation. When I get the truck back, I will check it all out, so I know whats up for the next time.
Thanks for the info guys!
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-16-2008, 2:38 PM Reply   
Just got the call.
New hose(s): $176.00
Labor : $290.00
Turbo O.K. : PRICELESS
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       06-16-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
$290 to replace a hose?!? Wow.

-Steve
Old     (pennery)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-16-2008, 2:56 PM Reply   
Yeah I feel your pain, Ford just ripped me off as well.. Last FORD product I purchase and I am exactly 3 weeks over my warranty time and under 5,000 kms from the limit.. I just had to replace1 injector.. Cost me about $900 and I drove it to the dealership...
I feel like I was just kicked in the nuts...
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-16-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
They're really proud of the parts for the 6.0. I oredered a air filter last week to the tune of $76. That was wholesale. Dang...

Thanks for the heads up on the boost hose. I'll be towing to tahoe in a couple weeks. I'll check that boost hose before I head up.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-16-2008, 3:10 PM Reply   
Bump: Evan,
When we gonna ride?
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-16-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
My buddy did his on his 04 last year while we where on the way to Shasta while towing a boat on I5. Nothing like trying to put a hose back on in 100 degrees and the motor nice and hot.

I would say you got ripped on the labor though. It only takes about 15 minutes to install. Once it blows off you have to replace it. You can re install it and limp it to the dealer but it has to be replaced.

Yes to much boost will blow it off.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-16-2008, 8:13 PM Reply   
Greg- don't feel to bad I am on my 3rd turbo already and 2nd intercooler.

Evan - you could have ordered an ARE lifetime filter for that price off the internet and not worried about it again.
Old     (ksilva)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-16-2008, 9:38 PM Reply   
Hey.... I was on the way to Don Pedro on hwy 120 and the same crap happen to me, well some what, I live near by, so I just kept on driving home...... Trucks in the shop now... Still under warranty though... THANK GOD!!

Still had a great day out on the lake with the new BU...
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       06-17-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
Same thing happened to our '04 Excursion with the 6.ohh. Started chugging and puffing out smoke signals and then "BAM". Dealer said IC hose blew off but also turbo was toast.
Ford covered under warranty and also credited me $500 for the TN dealership to bring the vehicle to OH.