Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-31-2003, 4:11 PM Reply   
Just wondering how many of you have used the foils that are available, did it help with the planing??
Old     (sid7)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-31-2003, 5:20 PM Reply   
if you are talking about the stabilizers, they work wonders!
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-01-2003, 5:37 AM Reply   
well i used one on another boat, an ob and it actually made the wake smaller (what they are designed to do) by forcing the stern out of the water and ride higher instead of sinking in and throwing a wake. Unless your able to trim the outdrive up far enough that the wing is actually digging in and pulling the stern down im pretty sure it will make the wake flatter. Now that being said if all you have is a 4 cyl engine and the boat doesnt want to get on plane as it is then it will help on your time to plane problem.
Old    jmccallum            08-01-2003, 5:52 AM Reply   
I have a V6 - 190 hp on an 18' Four Winns. No problem planning so I never considered one.

I'd have to agree with Bob. I think they would lift your stern which reduces wake size.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-01-2003, 8:22 AM Reply   
It depends on what you get. The SE-Sport SE300 or whatever it's called mostly just helps on planing. The wider, more wing-like ones help both ways.

I have a V-8 in my I/O so it's not like a can't get on plane but the planing time is cut in half with a stabilizer thingy on there.

The reason I mention the SE300 is that I got one and it didn't help the wake like I had seen the Doel-Fin do on another boat. So I made my own with the holes of the SE300.

I noticed that you don't need a real hydrofoil to help with planing because the outdrive is angled downward with the trim all the way down. So my new stabilizer plate thingy is just flat.

Here's a link to a picture: http://www.bayareamotorsport.com/~jon/pics/boat/plate1.jpg
Old    musner            08-01-2003, 3:32 PM Reply   
Funny, I was reading these posts and I started thinking, "how much can those things really help with the forces involved when they're usually made of plastic, cover a very small area, and are mounted with 4 small bolts?"
I had one on my old Sea Ray outboard and I could have jumped on the edge and broken it. How could it possibly be strong enough to 'force the stern out of the water'?
I do remember my boat planing really quickly, but I'm suspicious that it was more due to the outboard than the fin.
Anybody have any ideas?
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-02-2003, 9:20 AM Reply   
Mike,

I don't think the fin actually "forces" the stern out of the water. It probably just helps to adjust the attitude of the boat just enough so that it doesn't get "bogged down" when trying to come up on plane.

The prop is pushing from the bottom of the hull just like a RWD car's tires. So upon acceleration, the boat will want to pitch backward. The stabilizer fin/plate/thingy is like a wheelie bar on a dragster. On a car, it keeps the car's front tires from coming off the ground. On a boat, it keeps hull from pitching back too much and ploughing through the water while trying to get on plane.

...that's my theory anyway.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-02-2003, 1:51 PM Reply   
It also keeps the water more compressed around the prop giving less caviation or more traction
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-03-2003, 1:58 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info, I think I am going to give it a try and I will let you know if it made any difference!!