Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       10-16-2012, 7:56 AM Reply   
I am getting ready to purchase a new set of tires for my dodge diesel truck and wanted to see if anyone could give recommendations on a nice tire (wearing, price, looks, noise, etc.). I currently have BFG all terrains and they have treated me well considering they are on a heavy truck, but I want to explore all options. My truck is mainly on pavement but does see some off road and I like the all terrain look as compared to a street tire... Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-16-2012, 8:03 AM Reply   
Nitto. Terra Grappler for AT or Trail Grappler for MT. http://www.nittotire.com/TireSelecto...=grapplertruck

I run Trail Grapler MT right now and love them. I am running the 38 on 24's. In the past I have run the Terra as well and they were great. Couple of our Wet Sounds guys run Terra right now. The Sister company to Nitto is Toyo. http://toyotires.com/tires/light-truck-and-suv

The Open Country AT II for AT and Open Country MT for mud. I used to also run the Open Country MT as they too are great.

So take a look, you cant go wrong with any of the above.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-16-2012, 8:12 AM Reply   
x2 for the Trail Grapplers.
Old     (moon)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-16-2012, 8:31 AM Reply   
I've had luck with the Toyo MT's on two diesel pickups. Currently have 40k on a set now and still running strong. For an MT they are relatively quiet on the pavement compared to others. A little pricey, but well worth it.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-16-2012, 8:39 AM Reply   
BFG A/T ' s any day. Had the nitto Terra Grapplers, they are alright, but I think the BFG's are much better.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-16-2012, 8:58 AM Reply   
I have never seen a tire that looks good and actually holds up for 50K+ on a diesel except the Toyo MT. The Nitto Grappler's are good and look good, but don't seem to get near the life of the Toyo MT.
I put 55K on a set of 35x12x18 Toyo MT's on a Dodge 2500 Diesel. My buddy put 60K on his Silverado Diesel. Our buddies that have run Cooper's, Nitto's etc are literally seeing half of that.
I am no tire expert, but I think that speaks volumes.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       10-16-2012, 9:09 AM Reply   
Toyo M/t's best tire on the market.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-16-2012, 9:14 AM Reply   
40k on my Trail Grapplers and they are still in great shape.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-16-2012, 9:22 AM Reply   
Nitto Terra Grapplers AT if cost is a concern.

Michelin LTX AT 2 if you have the $ and like the idea of a 60,000 mile treadlife warranty.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-16-2012, 11:47 AM Reply   
The Michelin LTX AT is going to be the best wear and mileage tire out of all listed above.
Old     (Iceberg)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-16-2012, 3:26 PM Reply   
The BFGs have a lot less road noise than all of the tires listed so far, except for the Michelins. You might consider Kelly Safaris as a better compromise. The harder the tire, the longer the tread-life. The caveat is usually the least amount of road grip, depending on the tread cut. There is no aggressive tire that has low noise levels, but if you have your stereo turned up, you probably will not notice. Besides tread life, one other thing to consider with most aggressive off-road tires will give you less fuel economy compared to an all-season or street tire. However, the A/T tires are pretty useless on slippery surfaces off-road. Sometimes it makes better sense to have a second set to put on for more off-road work.
Old     (skuhleman)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-16-2012, 3:32 PM Reply   
I ran goodyear wrangler authority tires on my 2500 sierra and loved them. I always had great traction snow, mud, rock, or pavement. They had 52k on them when I sold the truck and were getting close to being replaced. Maybe another 5k miles... but I never noticed road noise from them. But I also had a loud ehaust system. They were great for me though.
Old     (ryand121)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-16-2012, 3:53 PM Reply   
I'm currently selling four 35x13.5x20 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's with less than 400 miles on them. This is the second set of Mickey's I've owned and I absolutely love them. The last set I had was on my '02 F-350 and they were 40x15.5x18's. They were the best running large tire I've ever had. The worst one needed a 3oz to balance out, and they didn't hum at all. I'm only selling the 35's because I lifted my truck and plan on going with a 37" Mickey. Let me know if you'd be interested.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-16-2012, 7:31 PM Reply   
I have a 2007 Dodge Mega Cab 2WD 5.9L diesel and I'm on my 3rd set of tires. First were the stock Michelin LTX A/T-2 and I got 85,000 miles out of them. Next set was Nitto Terra Grapplers in 285/50/22 and I got 50k no problems and I'm on my second set. I like that the Nitto TG dont have have that God awful mud tire drone to it on the highways. I see Discount Tire doesn't have the Nitto TG in 22's anymore...I hope they didn't discontinue that size.

Last edited by you_da_man; 10-16-2012 at 7:35 PM.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-16-2012, 7:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy_smith View Post
The Michelin LTX AT is going to be the best wear and mileage tire out of all listed above.
totally agree. Even though they are 60,000 mile tires, they can easily go into 75,000+ and I got 85,000 out of mine
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-16-2012, 9:40 PM Reply   
Goodyear Wrangler silent armor tires load range E. These suckers are quiet have an off road look with good off road traction. Kevlar side walls for added protection and silence. And about a 40k warranty. Bought a set of 4 for about $1250 here in AZ after taxes. What ever you go with, do your homework and go with what best suits your needs
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-17-2012, 2:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
The Nitto Grappler's are good and look good, but don't seem to get near the life of the Toyo MT.
My experience has also been the Nitto Terra Grapplers do not have a long life.
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       10-17-2012, 4:43 AM Reply   
Ive been running the NITTO trail grappler for 37K miles so far and its seems to me that i could get 60k out of them. I rotate my tires every 4k miles and that seems to help the wear on them. Im also running 37 x 13.5 on 22's and i think the tires are awesome. They will probably be my next set but at 4 wheel parts they sell for about $650 ea.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-17-2012, 12:37 PM Reply   
cooper at3s
Old    kx250frider617            10-17-2012, 3:35 PM Reply   
What size wheels and tire height do you want? I run 305/70/17 nit to terra grapplers and that size is a E load rating while most others are D. I've had mine for 30,000 miles and they have about half tread left. They run about $300 a tire. They are great on slippery boat ramps and they don't make the truck feel mushy with heavy loads. The height are 34" and 12.5" wide
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       10-18-2012, 9:32 AM Reply   
I've gone thru a chit load of tires and here's my top 3 or 4 for a diesel, all terrain or mud terrain.
You'll always do better with a highway tire, but looks and off road traction will suck.
BFG AT's. Always wore well for me and very good traction for a AT on dirt and good in snow on the road. Downside, they cost more than they're worth. I only buy them if I find a set of takeoffs for cheap and sometimes they take alot of weight to balance.
TOYO MT's. Never used them yet but have a set going on my truck this weekend. Have friends who use them and they wear as good or better then most hiway tires. Still loud like mudders once they wear down some no matter what anyone says. Again, expensive for what they are IMO. Bought these as takeoffs, so economical.
Pro Comp AT, MT and Extreme MT. I've been very pleased with all 3. MT's are typical MT road noise, but they all wore well and performed great for their intended use. Good looking tires. The AT's wore the best of any tire I've had on my DMax, mountian driving to boot. They are a great option if you can catch the buy 3 get 1 free deal. Otherwise they cost the same as the other big name tires pretty much.

If $ is a concern, look for takeoffs. That's what I do, even if I buy a set 6-12 mo before I need them. If you can get more than the cost of 1 tire off the retail price that will pay if you ever shred one and don't have road hazard warranty. I rotate my own, quicker than going to the tire shop so no value there for me.

Worst tires I've ever had were Mickey Thompsons.
Old     (davenk)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-18-2012, 10:53 AM Reply   
I had a set of Nitto TG on my old f-150 - rotated every 6,000 miles (Discount Tire free rotation) and after I had 60,000 miles on them and sold the truck-they looked like they could go 5k-10k more. I have been told that when these tires don't last long, it is because the wrong load range was used for the truck. I had Load Range "D" on my truck which probbaly helped them last longer because the weight load was overkill for the truck. Great on the highway and the sand, not so good in the snow. As soon as my Goodyears run out on my new f-150 I will be getting the same thing - Nitto TG