Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ridetillurdead26)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-31-2011, 6:56 PM Reply   
My journey to find a new wakesurf began when my Calibrated Telum finally delaminated after 4 seasons of hard use. I was actually quite surprised at how well the Telum held up, especially considering it was a team board and not a production model.

The day that my Telum died, I posted a simple comment on Calibrated's Facebook page asking if they had any old demo or blem boards laying around so that I didn't have to pay top dollar. Within 24 hours I received a call from Mike, the owner of Calibrated letting me know that he found a "blem" board that he was willing to sell me. We agreed on a price and the next day I drove down the street to his house to pick it up.

When I arrived, I was pleasantly surprised to find Mike finishing up a BRAND NEW Piscus when I walked in. I assumed it was for another customer, but he said that he didn't feel comfortable putting me on something that wasn't PERFECT, so he pressed me a new board for the same price we had already agreed on! What a guy!!

Now for the fun part. I would consider myself an intermediate surfer. I'm capable of doing 3's, shuvs, 3 shuvs, and a few other little things. On my FIRST run with the Piscus, I was comfortable enough to land all of my tricks, and even some that I had been struggling with! The shape is incredibly fun to ride with plenty of speed to keep you in the pocket after spinning. It also has plenty of pop for air tricks, and it is easy to land in control. Bottom line is I absolutely love this board, and I love Calibrated's customer service even more. I will never surf another skim-style board as long as Mike and Calibrated are around.

Old    ScottRobinson            08-01-2011, 8:23 AM Reply   
Where can I find one?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-01-2011, 9:20 AM Reply   
They are seriously the best skim style wakesurf board, but no one knows about them. That should change
Old     (ridetillurdead26)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-01-2011, 9:23 AM Reply   
Well they are currently rebuilding their website, so the best place to get a hold of Calibrated is on Facebook. Just type in "Calibrated Wakesurfing" in the search bar and you can't miss em!

Also, depending on your location, I know a few shop are starting to carry Calibrated's product. Let me know if you have trouble contacting them, and I'll make sure you get what you need.
Old     (bri)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-01-2011, 1:28 PM Reply   
I love the Piscus!!!
Old     (ridetillurdead26)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-04-2011, 12:33 PM Reply   
Yeah Bri, Piscus for life!

I was actually really surprised how well it rides backwards considering it's a swallow tail. I guess that's just good shaping at work.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-04-2011, 2:00 PM Reply   
It is crazy, but the piscus rides better backwards than some other high end skims ride normal. So fast
Old     (surfinsoon)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-26-2011, 12:24 PM Reply   
We have a Piscus and love it. It needs to be replaced and we will probably go with another, perhaps a single fin model. Can anyone compare the Piscus with the IS Flyboy Flegel model skim style board?

Does anyone know if there are more of the IS Flegel models coming? It says they are sold out on the IS website.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-26-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
The Keenan Pro Model is sold out for 2011.

The Keenan is not as fast as the Piscus, but has a cool feel to it.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-31-2011, 11:39 AM Reply   
Where can I find calibrated boards forsale? I have a 3 fin piscus demo and love it, not quite good enough to run it single fin yet . If anyone has a larger piscus or any used ones hit me up!! Also, what other board would u compare to the piscus? I've only rode a hyperlite broadcast 4'9, grindwater slayash, piscus, and a ronix goal 4'3, yet to ride a I surfer or shred stixxx

Last edited by WakeDirt; 08-31-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-31-2011, 12:58 PM Reply   
When we did the polar bear demo event, the calibrated boards were heavy favorites in the skim style. When people ride them, they love them.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-31-2011, 9:42 PM Reply   
WakeDirt, I'm not sure if you can get them anymore. Maybe Mike Armstrong can chime in.
I have ridden a lot of skim style boards and the Piscus is in a league of its own. I haven't ridden anything as fast and loose. And the feel of it is unique. You would probably have to get a custom Victoria or Rousch to get close.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       09-01-2011, 12:43 PM Reply   
Ya I would def like to look into another one or a pro model, I like cody benjamin's! I have a green and purple boat and would love a purple piscus! Does mike Armstrong log into ww?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-01-2011, 12:51 PM Reply   
Mike does.

The tri fin piscus you have is the same as a single fin/pro. It just has the extra fin boxes.
Old     (wakesurfermike)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-01-2011, 2:36 PM Reply   
Hey Guys, thank you for all of the positive feedback. It truly is things like seeing the stoke from guys like Cody, Mitch and wakedirt that keep me motivated and trying to move forward. Thank You for all of the support.

2011 has been a banner year for Calibrated. I ended up doing way more boards than originally projected and I am literally down to scraps. I have a few missed matched skins, one purple, one old Lagace, and some blank glossy white. I won't be doing any new stuff until the product release for 2012.

However, if any of you would like a board, contact me and I can probably put something together for you. We could even call it a "Custom Piscus". Glassed for your weight (flex pattern), rail tuned for your stance (reg/goof), and the rocker-line adjusted for your personal wake size/shape. I have been tuning Ryan Fair's to his personal set up and he loves it.

Thanks again for all the love,

Mike Armstrong
mike@calibratedwakesurfing.com
Old    surfdad            09-01-2011, 5:01 PM Reply   
rail tuned for your stance (reg/goof) Asymm rails! That's a cool idea, Mike! They'd be swapped for when the board was revert?. If, so, LOVING that tech.
Old     (wakesurfermike)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-02-2011, 7:53 AM Reply   
Yes Jeff, that's exactly it. Ryan likes his heel-side rail to be a bit harder through the nose so when the board is reverse after a shuv he still has drive and edge hold. Also, it provides a little more bite when riding backside.
Old     (ridetillurdead26)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-08-2011, 5:02 PM Reply   
Mike,
I let my buddy Jay borrow my board the other day and he loved it. He is a Disco local, so I gave him your info. Hope it works out!