Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-09-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
Ha, just kidding! For me, the wake just doesn't get any better than a old school SAN 210 with about ~2,000 lbs. The straight up pop and rock hard wake make riding effortless. Post some pics of you riding behind your favorite wake.

Here is me with the BS 180 (keep in mind I'm 6'3")
Attached Images

Last edited by hayes; 07-09-2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: sp
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-09-2010, 10:52 AM Reply   
Here is my Malibu VTX with about 1400lbs of ballast, 4 adults, and 3 small kids.
He's 5'11
Attached Images

Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-09-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   
...oh and wedge 3/4 up
Old     (willrice)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-09-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
Hayes - How fast are you going and what rope length is that?
Old    sperbet            07-09-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
I'm in the same boat, literally haha. The OG 210 just does it for me. I've ridden a ton of the newer boats, many with a lot of additional weight and IMO they still don't touch the OG 210. Firm , super poppy and not nearly as much work to get booted.
Old    SamIngram            07-09-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
Yup, same here. I had actually given my SAN 210 to my brother when my wife's dad gave us a new VLX for our wedding present. This year we actually sold the VLX and got my old SAN 210 back. Nothing beats the Golden Calf! It's easy to get a great wake out of and is really cheap to run in comparison to the VLX. The VLX had a bigger gas tank and only lasted a half day, while the SAN goes all day and with a little to spare.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
If your gas only lasted 1/2 day there had to have been something wrong with your boat. How much weight were you running?
Old    SamIngram            07-09-2010, 12:41 PM Reply   
Nope, we checked and checked again... weight was stock plus the wedge...
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
Damn I can go all weekend on a tank running 3800# surfing, this is with a 23lsv and HH 383. I haven't wakeboarded for a while so don't really recall how much fuel I used to consume.
Old    SamIngram            07-09-2010, 1:11 PM Reply   
I think the wedge kills the fuel economy...
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-09-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
Yeah forgot to mention I'm usign wedge on top of those weights as well. Crazy.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-09-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
SAM - thats an AWESOME wedding present!!!!!!!!!
what a welcome to the family...
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-09-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
Yeah something was wrong with that VLX, what engine were you running? I'm running a monsoon 340 at 5300 feet of altitude with the 1235 prop and I only go through about a quarter tank of gas in my VTX on a good day of riding. Half a tank typically lasts me all weekend.
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-09-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
I'm still trying to get over the fact he was given a VLX for a wedding gift. Good freakin' Lord man! You married well....
Old     (l_b)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-09-2010, 2:50 PM Reply   
Holy s#*%, what a wedding present. I will marry any woman whos dad would give me a new VLX regardless of what she looks like. Props

Sam, so you took back the SAN you gave your brother?

Last edited by l_b; 07-09-2010 at 2:58 PM.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-09-2010, 3:24 PM Reply   
Without bashing other awesome boats in their own right or anything like that, yeah, awesome frickin boats. Small for easy slamming, handles great, and that booter of a wake!!

Just a note though, whoever the douchebag engineer who OK'ed putting the fill pumps in my 02 UNDER THE ****ING ENGINE was, well eat a big bag of dicks! One broke and before it was all over I had to saw it off because it was BLOCKED BY THE MOTOR MOUNT and finally ended up moving the pumps toward the rear of the boat next to the engine so YOU CAN ACTUALLY CHANGE THEM OUT WITHOUT PULLING THE ENGINE. Other than that the giant wiring mess under the dash EATS MY ASS!! So next time you are sitting there looking where to put the ballast intakes BEFORE THE MOTOR IS INSTALLED please think of us poor CUSTOMERS who might have to change one out the night before his vacation. The 800 cuts on my right hand and forearm thank you.

PS-> if anyone has a similar problem I can save you 4 hours of laying on your side in the hatch and tell you how to reroute those things before you realize what appears to be a 45 minute job turns into 6 hours.

Rant over. Love that boat.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-09-2010, 4:38 PM Reply   
Agreed, though the landings aren't so effortless, the pop makes up for it. Flux, please send me the 45 minute short cut as I've glanced at those pumps before and prayed they never break....would be nice to know the fix in case they ever do. Thanks.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       07-09-2010, 4:46 PM Reply   
in my 08 vlx i can easily burn a tank of gas in4-5 hours of riding, normally there are 5-6 of us in the boat factory 3 tanks plus 1100lb sack up front and wedge all the way down... i have the monsoon with factory prop
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-09-2010, 7:19 PM Reply   
Will, I think I was riding at 70', 21.5 mph that day. We do that often when learning new tricks (for me the BS 180). I usually ride at 80', 23 mph.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-09-2010, 7:29 PM Reply   
I thought I would chime in here. I've got an '87 Sanger TX. Talk about old school. It throws a pretty rampy wake too. It's an I/O so all the weight is at the back. If I have a couple of my big friends on board it's not that bad and I like it better than some of the much larger boats.

I believe my hull is the same or very close to the same as the old 210. The TX pretty much started it all for Sanger in the water sports business. Darn thing is over 20 years old and still as solid as a rock.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-09-2010, 8:17 PM Reply   
I really liked the old 210 hull but wanted something a little smaller for those quick small after work trips to the lake so I did a v-drive conversion on a 2001.My next boat will be a 210 but the 2001 I will keep forever.Hell,we can get to our spot and ride sacked out all evening on ten bucks.It cost more getting the boat to the lake than that.
Pound for pound it is the most cost affective wakehull ever made period.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       07-10-2010, 6:39 AM Reply   
I love the old 2001s. It's the perfect workhorse towboat and your v-drive mod is the shiz
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-10-2010, 5:03 PM Reply   
Love reading the posts on the 210. Original owner of an '02 210, still love the boat!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-10-2010, 6:08 PM Reply   
Have never second guessed the purchase of my '03......

Like Tommy.... "Still love the boat!"
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-11-2010, 7:43 PM Reply   
I have a 210 as well and about the only boat wake that I enjoy as much is a 230 sacked out. Nothing gives u that straight up pop like a 210.
Old    mojo            07-11-2010, 10:38 PM Reply   
05' 210 here. left 05 mc for her. 3 other friends in the area have 210's as well.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-12-2010, 8:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhanley View Post
Agreed, though the landings aren't so effortless, the pop makes up for it. Flux, please send me the 45 minute short cut as I've glanced at those pumps before and prayed they never break....would be nice to know the fix in case they ever do. Thanks.
I'll put it here in case there are any other owners with that setup.

First you will see that those aerators are tucked into the worst spot possible. Before even starting you will need a 1-1/8" Deep socket and a small hacksaw that can cut though plastic. Also find some 3/4NPT to 1" hose barbs. I found em at Home Depot, the Nylon ones should be fine but I would have sprung for brass had they had them. And some extra hose clamps.

Basically you are gonna move those pumps from their current location to the rear on one side of the engine. I can't guarantee that you setup is exacty like mine, but chances are it is.

I started by simply trying to swap a pump out at the seacock. What I found was that the motor mount prevented the upper left pump from coming out, so I had to saw it off at the threaded hub. This also means you can't get another pump in, so I decided to re-route everything right there. I left the nut part of it at the seacock and removed it with a socket. Don't even pretend that you will be able to wrench it off, there is no room. You'll see why I had to cut it. I then removed the other pump which should be easier due to it now having room. You will have to rewire them obviously, but you might be able to just move the wiring.

I then installed the nylon 3/4NPT to 1" barbs onto the seacocks and attached the hoses directly to them. You will most likely need to clip all the zip ties that hold the hoses and wiring and the engine cooling line on that side of the engine. I then found a suitable spot toward the rear of the engine back by the raw water pump and blower. I laid the pumps in here and simply spliced into the hoses. I staggered them to they were not so bulky and made sure to give clearance around the raw water pump and belt. What I found was that they used a 1-1/8" ID hose and heated and stretched it to fit more tightly on the ballast pump 1" fittings. I built up the pump fittings with either teflon tape and/or duct tape so the hoses were snug.

I then redid all the zip ties and rewired the pumps. I had already taken out the tanks and replaced the with bags and rewired the entire ballast system for individual control. My 02 just had one master fill and empty. You definitely want to make sure everything is nicely strapped down. If a pump broke, I could now swap it out in 20 minutes on the water. Otherwise it's a few hours and you end up doing what I did.

My only concern is that the extra hose between the seacock and the pump might not let it prime, but all you have to do is drive the boat forward for a sec and it will prime. I also don't run the boat with those rear ballast valves open. I fill and then shut em. PITA but the wake is worth the hassle.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-12-2010, 4:04 PM Reply   
Thanks, Flux, put your response into my boat pile o' stuff for future reference. Old ballast designs = pretty frickin' stupid. The only thing mine does well is fill/empty extremely fast. Totally weaksauce on the user friendliness, including pump placement it appears...
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-13-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
BCH. I ended up adding a power bus under the dash and rewiring the rear ballast leads to separate switches. I am sure you know how touchy the SAN is about balancing side to side. I can at least empty on the fly to balance the wake. We put those big pro-x series back there in place of the tanks. Aerators aren't bad as they can be fast and have a small amp draw. We just noticed that the rule ones tend to snap at the outlet elbow for some stupid reason. At the end of the day I have to remember that in 02 they were just starting to get this whole ballast/wake thing going. Great boat, just needed a few tweaks.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-13-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
Just bought an 02 210 Team 3 months ago (coming from an 86 2001), and put in 2200 pounds of ballast this past weekend. and upgraded the prop (I might do a write up on the install, because its different than the normal piggy back system and it works flawlessly unlike some of the issues with the way most piggy back their 210 system.) I loved the stock system with an extra 150 in the bow, but 2200 pounds total is a blast to ride! I warned my buddy before he took a set that it would really kick him. He went hard for it anyways and came down straight on his head! The hang time was awesome though!

As for the way nautique did their ballast back in the day, its not completely terrible. My aerator system is really fast compaired to friends that have reversible pumps in their newer boats. The manual valves are a pain in the butt, however my winter project will be putting in heavy duty solenoid valves. They are $$$ but in the end makes for a fast fill and empty system that can be controlled from the drivers seat. My pumps are accessible, not the easiest, but not impossible either. However, the belly ballast through hull scoop on mine was installed backwards at the factory, so it wont fill when its on a plane. Easy fix, I just need to turn it around and fill in the old screw holes, but still hard to believe Nautique did it that way.

Over all its an amazing boat. I was lucky enough to find an 02 that was optioned out like an 03 (which was ARGUABLY the best year). Flux put it well, great boat just needs a few tweaks. Ill add to that by saying, with the right tweaks its one of the best wake boats all around and easily hangs with brand new boats. I think steep wakes are making a bit of a comeback too, after watching the forums and what the riders are doing with their x stars and their 230s. It seemed for a while steep wakes really got a bad rap, but with the right weighting in the old 210 you can help get rid of some of the trough, and still go huge into the flats.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-13-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
Here is a pic of mine, no pics of the wake unfortunately
Attached Images

Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-13-2010, 12:47 PM Reply   
Nevermind, found some bad cell phone pics, both are just stock ballast. One is a bs 180 off the double up the other shows the trough everyone complains about. We had a couple people in the boat that day sitting in the back, if we would have added a little more weight up front (probable only 250 pounds or so) that trough would reduce considerably.
Attached Images

Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-29-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux View Post
BCH. I ended up adding a power bus under the dash and rewiring the rear ballast leads to separate switches. I am sure you know how touchy the SAN is about balancing side to side. I can at least empty on the fly to balance the wake. We put those big pro-x series back there in place of the tanks. Aerators aren't bad as they can be fast and have a small amp draw. We just noticed that the rule ones tend to snap at the outlet elbow for some stupid reason. At the end of the day I have to remember that in 02 they were just starting to get this whole ballast/wake thing going. Great boat, just needed a few tweaks.
Flux, do you have any more info on how you wired in the bus? I'm assuming it's separate from the main circuit breaker under the dash? When I upgrade my electrical system, I want to have a single bank of two batteries to run my stereo and ballast system from (especially so I can have the pumps independent), but I'm not sure how to wire all that up.