Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old    jasrocks            03-18-2003, 11:58 PM Reply   
Does anyone know how big the wake is behind a sportster? I'm looking at buying a 2003 Sportster with tower and wedge. I wakeboard and have just landed my first backroll. I have friends who slalom and barefoot so am curious as to the wake size under load with some extra ballast and the wedge.
Old    bcw            03-19-2003, 2:31 PM Reply   
Check out the Moomba Mobius. I throws a better wake for about the same price. This is due to a deeper hull design.
Old    beercity            03-19-2003, 4:10 PM Reply   
shape is excellent for the sportster, it just lacks overall size b/c of the limited internal volume of the boat. I would steer clear of the Moomba............look at the resale value of each. You can hold on to the sportster for a couple years as your riding progresses and then still be able to recoup most of you money b/c of the high resale value of a well conditioned sportster if you should want to upgrade to another boat. Even if you keep the boat for a long time I still think you'd be a more satisfied owner with a Sportster. Good luck!
Old    projectmalibu            03-19-2003, 7:20 PM Reply   
Here is a few pics of our 2001 sportster

With wedge, and 6 people, no sacs

No wedge 3 people, no sacs

Not the greatest pictures either, hope it helps a little bit.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-19-2003, 7:54 PM Reply   
I rode behind a response last year; I believe it is the same hull.

Excellent wake, we added a fat sac and the wake was perfect. Perfect ramp, nice firm crest. I hope that helps.

(Message edited by rson on March 19, 2003)
Old     (pyrosmurf)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-19-2003, 8:57 PM Reply   
The Response is a different Hull. The Sportster rides on the SV23 hull, the same as a Wakesetter.
Sportster has a much better wake than a 'setter in my opinion too.
Check this link out:
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=2159
Old    jasrocks            03-20-2003, 12:37 AM Reply   
thanks for all your replies guys!
will keep you posted....
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-24-2003, 9:56 AM Reply   
I have had a lot of experience behind most Malibus. I owned a 98 Sprotster, on 02 VLX, and currently an 03 VLX. The Sportster does use the basic design SV23 hull that the VLX uses, but is is obviously smaller. The Response uses the SV23 Diamond hull, which creates more lift and is better suited for slalom skiing. The Sportster is capable of creating a pretty good wake... I would say a heavily loaded Sportster w/Wedge can create a wake similar to a stock VLX + Wedge 23 + MLS and no additional weight. Now when you really load down a VLX that is when you get into the BIG wakes!!! I learned probably 6-8 inverts behind my Sportster, so it definetaly a boat that you can learn behind. Plus it is a blast to drive!!! Feel free to email me if you have any specific questions, like I said I have spent many hours on the majority of Malibu's lineup.