Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-20-2003, 4:56 PM Reply   
Scarecrow help, still cant get it quite right.

I can throw a crow whenever (90% or better)now in the classical sense of the up and over (like in higher education)but when i throw it more behind me which i think looks alot better i cant seem to work out why when i throw it as the link shows i get slack on landing and have to pull the handle across my body on landing, in other word i dont have a rope to lean against(only 60%). i throw them, one handed i know but evryones got their own way? it is easier to grab anyhow. i have posted similar before but didnt realy get any great response apart from throwing the up and over type of crow but i really want to be consistant on both. hoping the vid will be of use.

thanks

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=9324
Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-20-2003, 5:14 PM Reply   
to put it in perspective this is what keeps happening to me.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=9325
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-20-2003, 6:55 PM Reply   
hehe you knew i'd jump on this andrew.

but im a bit confused. are these supposed to be different types of crows? because the rotation on both of them is exactly the same...

andrew's crows

the only difference between the two (the bottom version you rode away), is that on your landing on the crash you land with your weight behind you slightly (not over your board), so when the slack goes away you're already falling back. you land with slack momentarily on both tricks, but your weight is over your board in the bottom version and you're able to stand up. in the top one you end up sliding out and losing a tug-of-war with the rope.
Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-21-2003, 12:24 AM Reply   
Hello Chris hope youre well?

These are both the same chris i was showing one landed and one crashed. even on the one i have landed i get alot of slack on landing. if you ease up on the wake alot more you get a tighter line through the trick even on landing and the board goes alot more up and over your head more and not so much behind you, it looks alot different. if you watch riders like greg necrasson he throws alot more s bend type crows edging all the way through the wake rather than flattening off on the way up the wake.
Eh thanks for chopping up the mpeg what software are you doing that on? look at the last frame, the line has a great big bow in it and i am having to put it right across my body to keep a bit of tension. The link below from another site has the more up and over crow and also in higher education. flattening off more i guess would help with the crow mobe but i do want to get it more consistant. the other difference between the two is you hold the rope above your head more too.

http://www.wakeboarder.com/tricks/scarecrow.phtml
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-21-2003, 3:41 PM Reply   
hi andrew, im doing well.

i used quicktime pro to export the stills, but i also have premiere and could have done it with that. then used photoshop to put it all together. please forgive my photoshop hacking!

just to one up it i just did this - should have done it instead, incredibly easier (using premiere):

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=9331

my only observation so far is that it seems you're pulling the rope in to your body in pics 4 and 5, thus advancing your body towards the boat, which will of course result in a slack rope right after that. compare your arm angle in pic 1 with pic 5.

are you pulling on the rope to make the rotation?

i have a friend that throws very consistent scarecrows and i just videoed him recently. you can see his crow here:

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=9016

i'll ask him to take a look also.
Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-21-2003, 4:58 PM Reply   
Hi chris i am going to have a look at getting premiere. i used to mess around with the early versions.

Yer just looked at it. its up and over. really comes off his edge at the wake. i can land 9 out of ten if not 10 out of ten no problem but prefer the harder edge crow. i think the easing off looks ugly. i will upload an mpeg of the type i am talking about.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=9332

if you ask me it looks totally different and the NUTS! the rider is stewart mackie ex european gold medalist. i like the way you stiched the two together. maybe you can do this with this link. another from wakepics, i just had a look and cant find a decent one on there. i think you will see the difference.

Frames four and five i see what you mean but i am not realy trying to advance as such, just pulling in a little as not to land on a straight arm. The rotation is only dependant on how you leave the wake and where you look. boat does the rest really.

ps. your friend spins SICK!!! awesome.

Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-21-2003, 6:38 PM Reply   
here ya go:

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=9335

he definitely takes a bigger cut at it. and he initiates a front roll first. he gets more laid out sooner, and he keeps both hands on the handle. a lot of difference!
Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-22-2003, 2:16 AM Reply   
Chris i think his crow looks absolutely wicked, think you have no chance of grabbing it with that edge!
Looking at it he straightens his arms when he gets inverted alot more. just pulled out one if the vids with necrassen and he does the same. as for the rotation leaving the wake is the main thing although there is a difference between an x2 and a ski nautique!I am going to have to try two hands on. i may go out today but it is 8 degrees c and raining at the moment, guess it will be the drysuit (yuk). letting go with one hand helped me with the rotation and landing my first ones, grabbing is easier also, i say grabbing i have had a few goes and get the tips of my fingers on the board. think that is because of the small wake.
looking at the mpeg back, i think that throwing the trick with one hand maybe screwing up my landing and causing me to overrotate slightly which sends me onto the back edge.

How is your riding coming off this season? stuck anything new?

This is all good stuff chris. the message board has been quiet as of late, has it turned cold there? i will put a new post out to keep it going tonight with my pathetic air roll attempts!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-22-2003, 11:27 AM Reply   
it's actually warmer than usual here right now. just got back from the lake - didn't ride, just being a third and videoing. yesterday it was 105 out there, not as hot today. water temp 71.

my riding has come along well this season. new tricks this season: hs fs 3, ts fs 3, switch tantrum, switch hs fs 3. and in general getting more comfortable with riding, going bigger and riding switch. we ride thru the year here so there's no stopping for us. we may not even stop trunking it until december if this weather holds up. last year we trunked it to mid-nov.

boards have been quieter lately. don't know why. definitely show us your air rolls. haven't tried any air tricks in quite awhile. tried a bell-air a few times. here's low-quality vid of one attempt - didn't really know what i was doing at the time - gotta try it again once i get back..

video/x-ms-wmvairroll
christoperairroll.WMV (77.2 k)
Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-22-2003, 12:40 PM Reply   
Chris it was freezing cold today with rain, about 8 degrees. i dont usually winge about the temperature because i do sometimes break the ice to ski. i jumped off the dock, got half way up the lake and the boat packed up! ten minutes or more i was in the water for waiting for them to repair it. the gas converter had frozen solid! end of my run. something allways happens when i am focused on doing something new or working a trick. oh well will go out saturday.

air tantrum eh i tried a few of those too. worked on rolls for a while. they happen so fast i dont even get a chance to hold my head from the g force! i end up throwing more of a mexican i guess. hopefully it comes up otherwise i will put it on wakepics. i was on a trip then so might be more progressive now wityh my absolute.
would not upload so here is a link.

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=9341