Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-07-2012, 11:17 PM Reply   
Hey guys,
I'm looking to buy my first boat in the next year and am a novice to the process. Is there a time of year that is better to buy to get better deals (both new and used)? I would think that off season I would be able to find better deals, but maybe that is not the case. Can I expect to have more buying power dealerships in the winter?

Please share your experience.

Thanks!
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-08-2012, 5:26 AM Reply   
I think my family has purchased 10 boats, and all have been bought in the fall. While fall has worked for me, there are some downsides to it. I've water-tested boats with snow falling, so you don't get as in depth of a test drive/ride. You also have to winterize and store it. For me, I enjoy the search, but I'll be honest, after a year of looking on the last one, I was ready to be done.
Old     (V)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-08-2012, 5:40 AM Reply   
whens the best tiem to sell as well?
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-08-2012, 5:46 AM Reply   
Buyers market during the off season, sellers market the first sunny weekend of spring. Off season better deals but less selection.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       05-08-2012, 5:54 AM Reply   
The best time to buy a new boat, if you plan on specing it out, is October/November for a December/January build. This is far better than any boat show deal.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-08-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
Peak selling time is between Memorial Day and 4th of July.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-08-2012, 7:50 AM Reply   
For here in the Northern mid-west (WIsconsin) I think the time to buy used is November - January.... season is over and most people aren't thinking about boats anymore.

For selling its March-May.... once those first few warm days hit and/or ice starts coming off the lake people get antsy and want to buy.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-08-2012, 8:44 AM Reply   
Fall. Specially if you know the seller had the boat on market most of summer.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-08-2012, 9:14 AM Reply   
Fall is a good time whether used or new. Most boat dealers get really slow from September till the boat shows start. The salesmen aren't pulling in much if any commission that time of year so there is a good chance they will deal a little more to get some money coming their way. Also, if the dealer floors the boats and they have closeout boats they should really, really want to get rid of them so they can quit payign interest and free up some flooring space for current models heading into the boat show. One thing you might try is work a lot with a dealer in November and december is get him to drop down to the lowest price he is willing to go but wait. Then go to the boat show when the Manufacturer rep is there and tell them you want the price quoted to you in fall/winter but twist their arm and see if the rep can throw in something to sweeten the pot. I wouldn't go out strickly thrying to waste their time but it is slwo in fall/winter and you should be able to get a little more TLC from the salesmen as they aren't very busy. A good sales person creates a relationship with the potential buyer. This makes it a little harder for the buyer to walk away. The same could be said though for the buyer creating a relationship with the salesperson. If the sales person forms a relationship with you, it is going to be harder for them to walk away from a low(not lowball) but realistic offer. If you need extra gear try and get that thrown in as well. They mark gear/accessories up a lot. The fact is if you get them to throw in 2500 worth of fenders, lines, anchor, cleaners, wakeboards, vests, etc.. it is really only costing them 1200-1500. Might be a good way to get a fully setup boat so a total total on the water price then getting a decent deal on the boat and having to pay full retail for all that gear. Obviously only makes sense if you need that stuff though.
Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-08-2012, 6:44 PM Reply   
Thanks all. About what I figured. Off season is better, but it does come with some challenges. Thanks for pointing those out. The search is on. Hopefully, I will be set by next season.