Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-26-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
Of all of the Malibu boats, which would you say is the best? My dad wants a 24 foot boat, so I've been looking around for 247's for him, as well as boats from other companies that are 24 foot, but he likes the wakesetter the most. Other than the fact that it takes more weight to make the wake big behind a 247, what would make a VTX/VLX or any of the smaller boats better than it.

Are there any real reasons that it would be better to get a small boat over a big boat? Just curious.

Please don't recommend other brands, if I get a boat I've already decided that it will be either Malibu or a Centurion, for reasons that I do not feel like detailing.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-26-2007, 9:32 PM Reply   
247 is an awesome boat. It will easily seat 14 (rated for 16). It also has more ballast this year. If you consider that with the power wedge, the wake can and will be great.

That being said, it all depends on how many people you want in the boat. For me, a VLX is all I ever need. A 23 LSV is great. All of these boats handle great. You cannot imagine how well a Wake 247 handles. It drives as good as many 21 ft boats in MY opinion. I have driven many of these boats and used to sell them. All of my customers who bought a 247 absolutely love their boats.

Keep in mind, the bigger the boat, the more weight you should need to produce a bigger wake. But given that you have a bigger boat, you can add substantially more weight and produce the desired effect which you cannot achieve with a smaller boat.

Either way, if you get a Malibu, you will be stoked. Also, depending on where you live, you may find several Malibu boats (or others) on closeout right now.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-26-2007, 9:35 PM Reply   
2008 boats also have rider presets for ballast, speed and power wedge settings. With the push of a couple buttons, you can have your boat set up for multiple skill levels.

The 2008 boats also have the new Illusion XS tower which collapses lower than in previous years.

The 247 has two ice chests. The 400HP motor is standard and you can upgrade to the 425HP (or 450HP... I forget) 8100 Vortec Motor for a few grand.

I can go on for days.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-27-2007, 2:56 AM Reply   
Awesome. Does anyone know anything about Power Sports Center located in Cornelius N.C. There are only a few dealers remotely near me, most of which are 3-4 hours away. We'd go with an 08, but that's kind of out of our price range. Next week my dad and I are going down to the dealership to take a look at a used 07 247 with about 100 hours on it.

Here's the actual ad. How much would you guys say this thing is valued at? it doesn't have boardracks or tower speakers/lights...

2007 247 LSV Wakesetter Ebony & Platinum

This 247 Wakesetter is loaded!! It comes with the optional 8100 Vortex 450hp engine. Some options are: 3-outlet heater, driver’s heated seat, underwater transom swim lights, docking lights, Bow ballast system, fiberglass swim platform, chrome glove box door, Sport seating dual buckets, Sony CD 1GB memory removable w/ 4 Rockford Fosgate Speakers, and power Wedge. This is a previous owned boat with approximately 100 hours. Give us a call for price and to schedule a ride on this very nice ride.
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-27-2007, 11:27 AM Reply   
Since it is previously owned I imagine the owner traded in for a new 08. You can probably get it for a great price. Some dealerships want to get rid of 07 and make room for 08 boats. I would offer 55k and see where your at. I imagine they are wanting over 60k for it but ya never know. This is the time to get a great deal. I assume it comes with a trailer and pretty much everything?
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-27-2007, 11:39 AM Reply   
It's only got the 4 speaker system in the boat, no tower speakers, no board racks, no tower lights, but it does have transom swim lights, heated driver seat, the power wedge, 450hp engine, and the 1 gig memory unit. But yes, as far as I know, it does come with a trailer. Thanks for the advice, I'll do that.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-27-2007, 11:46 AM Reply   
Call WSA here in Dallas....Ask for Tim Cvar and Franks demo 247.

It was barely used (thanks to BS Texas weather) and I am sure it will go for a good price. i know it has 8.1, tower, swivel racks, modest stereo etc.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-27-2007, 1:26 PM Reply   
Nick why 24'? It seems to me most get a bigger boat do to having alot of people with but many do just fine with either a VLX or even a 23. Also, do you keep your boat on a lift or is it a trailered boat? Smaller boats will be easier to handle and drive plus a VLX or 23 will put out a pretty good sized wake if need be.

I know some guys a little more local if you happen to be looking for a used boat.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-27-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
After driving everything that BU has to offer, I would say the 247 is almost my favorite, behind the VLX. I regularly ride the 247 for surfing and boarding and it does not handle like a 24' boat. If I had a larger crew, I would roll with a 247. I second Rich's suggestion, after the holiday's, call WSA 972.620.2377, ask for Frank.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       12-27-2007, 7:53 PM Reply   
Nick

I bought my boat from Powersports...bunch of good guys out there in my opinion. Good luck!
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-02-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
Okay, so I went down and looked at the boat. This is the webpage for it.

http://thepowersportscenter.com/gallery.php?pageNum_Recordset2=16&totalRows_Record set2=25

I have more pictures if you need anything else to give me a better opinion on the pricing....

No problems with it besides some minor scuffs and scratches on the tower.

Asking 61K w/ trailer.
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-02-2008, 5:02 PM Reply   
Decent price but I am almost positive you can get that for less...it is an 07 so they want to get rid of it..offer 50k and I think you will get a great deal
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-02-2008, 5:05 PM Reply   
Hay Nick,

The Charlotte NC Boat show is only 5 short weeks away. Might be worth waiting to see.

(Message edited by chpthril on January 02, 2008)
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-02-2008, 5:17 PM Reply   
Oh, did not know that. Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

Also, apparently this dealership is doing real well at selling boats. They only have 3 07's left if I remember correctly. Yeah, I'll check that boat show out. I was completely oblivious to that.
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-16-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
just to let you know I test drove that exact boat the other day it is a beast but as it turns the boat is the shop owners and he got the new 23 so he is selling the 247
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-16-2008, 7:09 PM Reply   
Yeah, they told us about that. Said that he was selling it because he got a new boat... So did it drive well? I won't be back home any time soon to get my dad to take me down there so we can test drive it. Any specifics? Rattling (other than typical stuff)? Overall did it seem fine?
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-16-2008, 8:18 PM Reply   
The boat handled real well the 8100 was really powerful compared to the 340 in the 23 we drove as well I will say though the 23 handled a little better
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-16-2008, 8:44 PM Reply   
Awesome, thanks for the info.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-18-2008, 12:44 PM Reply   
Here is a used 247....Sharp boat and very well maintained!

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12578
Old     (wakedv)      Join Date: May 2007       01-18-2008, 12:56 PM Reply   
How about fuel consumption, bigger motor, heavier boat, more water displaced, i'm guessing the 247 would be a thirsty beast.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-18-2008, 3:24 PM Reply   
Best Deal On WakeWorld:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/510115.html?1197919427