Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-19-2006, 12:50 PM Reply   
Ok I know this is been beaten to death and I’ve already done my searches but I want some opinions on my proposed setup. This is all going into a ’07 X-Star. Coming from my ’04 I can honestly say I’m impressed with the JL Components in the boat. As for the sub well you know…. Anyhow the whole point is that I just want to upgrade to a different sub setup, and look into my tower options. On the subs I was thinking 2 12w6v2’s both in sealed boxes. One in the stock location and one under the dash (not mounted to the fiberglass of course). Powering these with a JL 1000/1 or possibly even 2 500/1’s to be more flexible. I’ve also looked at RE and Alpine, but for every recommendation I read for either I see 2 for JL. I would love to save some money but if it’s a matter of $100 I would rather go with JL reputation for quality.

The tower is fine as is (2 pairs of factory MC/JL Cans) but if I’m freeing up a couple of channels taking the sub off the factory setup I wouldn’t mind adding another set of something tasteful up there. I am reluctant to go the HLCD route just out of consideration for the demographics in the area we ride (young families) and occasional racier music choices of mine.

I’d say 70% of my listening is Classic Rock/Country, 20% Modern Rock/Alt., and 10% Rap. This being said would I be almost as good going with 2 10w6v2’s in sealed boxes? I plan on changing the 2 stock batteries to at least Optima’s, and I don’t usually sit for extended periods of time. This being said with JLs’ regulated power supply, will this setup be sufficient? I’ve installed on my previous boats, and built my own boxes before so besides figuring the power supply for that 1000/1 I should be golden for the install.

I really hope this is not to general for you guys, and I’m looking forward to your opinions! Matt
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-19-2006, 10:45 PM Reply   
Man slow day here..........
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-20-2006, 5:38 AM Reply   
If you didnt say you listend to 70% country I thhink more people would be willing to help you. All that nice equipment and your gonna play akey breaky heart?
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-20-2006, 6:02 AM Reply   
Tequilla makes her clothes fall off is my new favorite...if I absolutely must listen to country...I like Tequilla and well the after effects! :-)
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-20-2006, 6:05 AM Reply   
"Preacher Man Says It's The End of Time..." - Hank Jr
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-20-2006, 7:23 AM Reply   
My fav country hook line: "BBQ chicken and aluminum foil as long as I have enough for gas and oil!"
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-20-2006, 8:00 AM Reply   
If you go with the 12's,you might want bigger amps.I have the 1000/1 and 2-10W6v2 and it is just right and plenty bass for anybody that rode on my boat.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-20-2006, 11:08 AM Reply   
Damn wireless, I lost my first response today. Most of the Country is "Texas Country" that tends to be a lot more rockish than one would expect. I also include my man Jimmy Buffett in there.

Ed, so your happy with your setup? Would you have done anything different? Finally how well does the 1000/1 intergrate with your charging system, and how hard was it getting the nessary power to it? Thanks, Matt

P.S. Maby i'll even use the system to rock Polka Classics 100% of the time.
Old     (scwellman)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-20-2006, 11:19 AM Reply   
Matt long Live "Texas" music artist like Kevin Fowler, Pat Green, Roger Cregar and Willie Nelson!!

I'm looking forward to hearing your ride on Conroe this season!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-20-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
Nothing wrong with Jimmy Buffett loud and clean...
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-20-2006, 12:01 PM Reply   
I agree Steve your welcome on my boat anytime! Hope to see you out when it warms up. The again I was up North boarding on BUTTER last weekend. Gotta love Texas, one week before Christmas and i'm boarding. It's 80 degrees out!
Old     (sea_ray_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-20-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
I'm in Spring, TX and go to Conroe a lot. I'll keep an eye (ear) out.

I am using 2 12's wired to a 1200 watt rms mono block class d amp. I can honestly say I can't use what I have to it's maximum and still stay inside the boat for long, thank god for transom remotes.

No country music is allowed on my boat, that breaks, I believe, rule #4.

Grant, correct me if I am wrong on the rule number and give a recap of the rules--
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-20-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
"No country music is allowed on my boat"
-Man Law
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-20-2006, 4:06 PM Reply   
Ok enough of me joking at you Matt. What you play on you system is your business and your profile says your in Texas so it shouldnt hurt my ear's so Ill try to help ya out.
The 7inch JL componets rock you will be happy with them. Ill post more in a bit
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-20-2006, 4:43 PM Reply   
Ha thanks David i'll be out there man.
Grant I look forward to your advice bro!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-20-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
Ok Back at a computer.
Ok the W6 V2's will work real nice with a 1000/1 in a seald box.
The W-6's dont need that much power so a 1000/1 will do just fine. Im guessing that 1 1000/1 will use less power than 2 500/1's. 2 12's should do fine for the type of music your playing. The Re sub's look real nice as well I havent got a chance to play with one but that XXX looks bad but you need a 2000 watt amp to power that bad boy check out the MX sub's in the RE line. As far as your tower why not use the same 7inc JL speakers used in your interior
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-20-2006, 8:56 PM Reply   
Yea real happy...
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-21-2006, 10:12 AM Reply   
Any comments about the power situation? What about running one of the subs sealed and one of them in the slot ported box JL reccomends?
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-21-2006, 11:31 AM Reply   
This is a picture of two 12's installed on my buddies 07 x-45. not sure on which amp he went with

Upload
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-21-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
definately keep both subs in either a ported or sealed