Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old    pol03771            12-18-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a new boat and I am torn between these two. They are both around the same price and have similar options. The Malibu has the 8.1l engine and the Enzo is the Boardstock Edition. Can you all chime in and let me know your thoughts? I primarily wakesurf but I also wakeboard and wakeskate. Any advice is appreciated.
Old    r3612            12-18-2006, 12:38 PM Reply   
"Primarily wakesurf"

Well why not get the boat that pulls the wakesurf championships? The Enzo is designed with the wakesurfer in mind....Centurion is the leader in wakesurf wakes. Their wakeboard wake is still very good as well. The enzo is a great all around boat but it def excels in wakesurfing.

Either boat is going to be a great choice...gonna be a huge difference in wakeboard wake shape though. The Centurion's is gonna be a bit steeper and have a little more kick, but Malibu is going to have a great ramp. You will hit the bu wake and then just soar...very very smmoth and easy on the knees. The Centurion wake will give you a bit more bucking type feeling. I prefer that shape. IT's all personal preference. I have no experience on the wakesurf wake behind the LSV so can't comment...but the wakesurf wake is enormous behind the Boardstock Enzo it is the best for sure. The quality of both of these boats is very good. Can't go wrong with either.

Here's some pics of the huge wake behind the EnzoUpload
Upload
Upload
Old    pol03771            12-18-2006, 2:30 PM Reply   
What about resale value? I just had another guy tell me the Malibu was way ahead of the Centurion for resale. The price is the same but the Enzo is a 2007 and the Malibu a 2006. Thanks for your input as I am leaning towards the Enzo due to the Sideswipe exhaust.

Happy Holidays!
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-18-2006, 3:23 PM Reply   
both are great boats.... which do you prefer the styling of? Which do you find more "comfortable"

It's all personal taste..
Old    walt            12-18-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
The search button is your friend.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-18-2006, 7:53 PM Reply   
Tough question Centurion styling and colors are better(if not the best) than the bu. However, if I had a boat fully weighted down for wakesurfing that 8.1L will outperform the 6.2 merc. all day long. Resale of the centurion can be an issue depending on where you live. I like both boats but the test drive, my perception of quality, and of course dealer service would be the determining factors.
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-18-2006, 9:41 PM Reply   
Lets try not to turn this thread into a bash the other boat thread. That is a sick surf wake!
Old    lakeman            12-19-2006, 12:37 AM Reply   
Yea that 8.1L will pull all day long
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-19-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
"Lets try not to turn this thread into a bash the other boat thread."

Totally.

I can't recommend, I'm a bias'ed Malibu owner.
Old     (c4avalanchen)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-19-2006, 12:52 PM Reply   
Does the Enzo come with the Switchblade? If yes, and you primarily surf, i'd do the Enzo. I'd test the Sideswipe though, IMO it gets a bit annoying after awhile. Kinda loud. I surf my Avalanche all day without it. This is a tough choice though. Both boats are exceptional. Good luck.
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-19-2006, 2:29 PM Reply   
the Malibu with the power wedge set about 1/2 makes a biblical surf wake

I believe these guys are on a 23LSV

http://www.waterskiamerica.com/SURFS_UP.html
Old     (brody)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-19-2006, 5:35 PM Reply   
It seems like a couple of those pics are over 3 foot surf wakes.
3.5-4ft?

I would recommend the wakesetter, great performance and great looks. Amazing boat.
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       12-19-2006, 6:11 PM Reply   
both are solid boats.. the enzo has the better surf wake, no doubt about it.. the malibu will have better resale value. So which one fits your style and wants more.. you cant go wrong with either
Old     (john_prine)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-19-2006, 6:49 PM Reply   
What do you think about getting the 8.1L in the malibu
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-19-2006, 6:57 PM Reply   
Not at all neccessary unless you have the 23 or larger and plan to run full ballast and a big crew every time. The 383 Hammerhead is more than enough reproped on the 23lsv, but the 247 needs the 8.1 without a doubt.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-19-2006, 7:07 PM Reply   
Get the 8.1 you can never have too much I would put one in my v-ride if I could. That would be like buying an H2 or F350 and not modifying the motors.
Old     (john_prine)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-19-2006, 7:22 PM Reply   
Thats right Why buy a truck if you are going to put a 6 cylinder in it. Yes the truck can pull with the 6 cylinder but how long is the motor going to last for??? how much stress will be put on the 6 cylinder my guess would be alot
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-19-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
But the boat doesn't have a 6 Cylinder it has either a 340, a 383, or an 8.1, all will pull, but the 383 will pull just as good as the 8.1 and you'd be saving $$$ on the gas bill.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-19-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
Loaded to wakesurf the 8.1L should do much better than the 383. Powercurve is flatter and more power lower in the rpm curve. I was told the 383 wasn't much better than the 340 but the 8.1 was the shadizzle, but that was what a malibu dealer told me. Anyhow, had two friends that had dually gas pickups one had the small 6.0L and the the 8.1L both towed racecars and trailers up and down the east coast. The two trucks got the same fuel mileage but going up hills that 8.1L ran away from the 6.0L(uncanny as the 6.0 was 300hp and 8.1 was 330hp.) The guy who had the 6.0 didn't mind losing when towing uphills but it used to burn him up to spend the same at the gas pump. Plus, another added benefit is the 8.1L is heavier isn't that a good thing for wakesurfing/wakeboarding?
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-19-2006, 9:55 PM Reply   
Actually tyler the 8.1 uses about the same amount of fuel as the other motors at wakeboarding speeds. The most noticable difference in fuel usage is at higher rpm range. The 8.1 uses more fuel at the upper band of the rpm range as compared to the Monsoon and HH. This comes from comparing a 23LSV with the HH and a 23LSV with the 8.1.
Old    lakeman            12-19-2006, 11:06 PM Reply   
THE HH is a stroked out motor. WHy do you want a motor that is going to be stressing pulling the weight. THe 8.1L will have less stress on the motor compaired to the HH. Not to mention the 8.1L will last longer because the engine is bullet proof. The 8.1L is a BIg TQ Beast, what more could you ask for.
Old     (cawakeboarder12)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-20-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
Malibu is the boat to get
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-20-2006, 4:56 PM Reply   
Nick, i went with the enzo in the end. my decision would have went either way, but there are about 15 bu's on our lake and 1 avalanche, so basically with that in mind and I feel the enzo wake is one of the best out there for surfing(I do not think it's superior, just that little extra bit that swayed me) I sat in a bu minutes before signing the papers for the enzo just to make sure it's what i wanted, and the fit and finish is 2nd to no one in the industry for the enzo. i went with almost everything being the switch blade and bling bling package, but the stereo. I've seen pics of both wakes on these forums, and they both put out and absolutely incredible wake, and for anybody to tell you that the wake is far superior of one or the other is full of it. I dont' care what anybody on here says, resale is a bunch of bunk. dealers will tell you anything you want to hear to get you in their product. you look on these forums and other boat sale places and both depreciate just the same. it just depends on the seller and how motivated they are.

by the way, my dad has an 01 wakesetter which we've loved. so this ain't a biased opinion. I think either boat would be incredible. you might walk into either shop and see a color combo that just blows your socks off and that right there will make your decision. let us know.
Old     (enzostyle)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-21-2006, 6:00 PM Reply   
I just spent my first season with my 06 Enzo and I could not be happier. The thing has so much room and storage.

I have the switchblade on mine as well. With the blade I only fill the stock tanks and the wake is just seems perfect to me. I had the blade off and added extra ballast and the wake is big and more rampy kind of like the malibu wake. But when using the blade just adds this nice lip that just boots. I have not gotton to ride behind a bu with a wedge yet.

The boat throws a very wide table so if you ride longer lengths you can charge it and go big and still have a landing ramp.

The surf wake is just plain sick on this boat. The wake is really long so you can get WAY back and still keep up. I have the 330hp and have never felt underpowered but I do run a lower pitch prop because of all the surfing at slow speeds that we do.
Old    pol03771            12-24-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
I bought the 2007 Enzo Boardstock Edition. Fit and finish, looks, etc... led me in this direction. I bought almost every option known to man so I hope I will be happy. It is a sweet looking boat for sure and I can't wait to put it to the test. Thanks to everyone for your input. Happy Holidays!
Old     (c4avalanchen)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-24-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
Congrats Nick. Good choice.
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-24-2006, 10:18 PM Reply   
Nick, where's the pics??? or did you have to custom order it? You would have been happy with the bu as well, but i think you made a great choice. let us know how she goes!!