Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-11-2005, 12:04 PM Reply   
i've been wakeboarding for a while, but just started taking it seriously a couple of months ago. i'm pretty comfortable edging, but i can't get any pop to save my life. i have "the book" and try to use all the things i learned from it (hold the rope in low and close, use a progressive edge, etc.), but i can never "stand tall" at the wake. even when it's the only thing i'm focused on, my knees still buckle when i hit the wake. any suggestions? i know you guys will tell me to search the 25,000 other threads asking an identical question, but the ones i've already read make it sound so easy just to stand tall, but yet i still can't do it. thanks for your help guys.
also, if anyone can tell me how to compress a video from a video camera i'll post a video of what i'm talking about.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-11-2005, 12:28 PM Reply   
Try hitting the wake with just your front leg stiff, and don't worry about the back leg. Just focus on the front one for now.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-11-2005, 12:36 PM Reply   
watch yourself on video to see it first hand... ride with people better then you. Don't get mad at it! The more fun your having the better you'll progress!!
Old    rdizzle            10-11-2005, 12:39 PM Reply   
here I think you need some of these **hands balls to jcv**

no really, make sure you edge all the way thru the wake and at the top of the wake, stand up like you are getting out of a chair. its all timing and practice

your knees only buckle because you are letting them buckle, which is preventing you from "popping" off the top of the wake. its a mental thing, trust me. I had a similar problem. I can now get W2W no problem because someone came along and handed me my very own pair of wrecking balls and advice.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-11-2005, 12:53 PM Reply   
Jeff, try slowing everything down. Shorten up the line, run the boat a little slower, and start your cut towards the wake closer in (10-15'). That should make it easier to do a progressive cut. Stand tall at the wake and use your arms to pull yourself to the downside of the second wake.

I'm guessing that you are trying to charge the wake to get distance and you are sacrificing timing and control. Once you get the hang of getting pop at the slower speed, you can lengthen the rope and speed up the boat.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-11-2005, 1:03 PM Reply   
You need to post some video.
Old     (lumpy9138)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-11-2005, 2:36 PM Reply   
As someone who has just started going w2w, and still have some issues, I sympathize. It drove me crazy for quite some time.

My friends kept telling me to stand tall at the wake, along with holding your edge, proper handle position, etc...

For me it was to much to think about all at once. I started just making sure I had one step down before I moved on to the next step. I made sure my cut out was nice and smooth, then made sure to get in the ready position, then concentrate on edging all the way into the wake.

Once I had this down, I could concentrate on the pop. Don't worry so much about standing tall at the wake, as opposed to keeping the same stance all the way in. You will find that, even without standing tall you will still go w2w, albeit low and fast.

Once you are at this point, then working on the stand up becomes less of an issue. You will have all the components of the w2w that you know, and can concentrate on standing tall at the wake.

It can be frustrating, but the reward is well worth it.

Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-11-2005, 5:07 PM Reply   
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=17379

not sure if the video will work, but if it does, that's me riding. critique all you want, there's a lot there that can be improved upon.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-11-2005, 5:32 PM Reply   
I couldnt see the video but I would suggest starting out only about 10 feet and practicing edging thru the wake and slowly bringing it out as you start getting more and more pop. It worked for me to start slow, I was afraid of hurting my knee again so I just progressed from about 10 feet out. Heck I dont know what Im talking about I still have trouble going w2w
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-11-2005, 5:49 PM Reply   
my girlfriend has this same identical problem...does this look like you? i'm going to tell her to read this post..

Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-11-2005, 7:46 PM Reply   
It sort of looked like you started your progressive edge but then flattened out at the white wash outside of the wake. When you come to the white wash, you really want to be on edge and have the line loaded up. Then just stand tall at the wake. Your legs won't buckle. It's harder on your legs absorbing the wake like shocks. I'm no expert, so I hope that helps.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-12-2005, 7:57 AM Reply   
yeah, that picture looks pretty familiar. i can clear the wake sometimes heelside but am still only a foot or two in the air.

thanks for all your help guys, i'll get out there and try these things as soon as my boat gets out of the shop (i hit a submerged tree in 37 feet of water).