Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (ricabernathy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-20-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
I am sure there has been several posts about this topic but I am thinking ahead and looking at wet suits, what should I get? If there is a thread on it could someone post a link please?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-20-2009, 11:24 AM Reply   
whatever someone may recommend, someone else will come and say the first person was wrong, and a different one is better. I suggest a fullsuit that you are able to try on. If you are ever in Orlando, or at a shop with a huge selection of wetsuits, try a variety on and get the one that fits best.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-20-2009, 2:14 PM Reply   
i used to ride with a full wet suit, but then i switched to a dry suit and i love it. its almost like summer ridings. thier is plenty of knee room, you were your vest under it and the whole time i am dry and warm.. i love it.. oneal makes a sweet one.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-20-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
I ride all winter long....on a dirtbike.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-20-2009, 2:26 PM Reply   
go with a drysuit.
Old     (lakelife)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-20-2009, 3:02 PM Reply   
I switch over to my mountain sled...
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-20-2009, 3:05 PM Reply   
definitely dont buy a wetsuit online. go to a surf shop and try them on and ask about the different features.

after a lot of research i went with the Oniell Psycho 1 4/3. it has all the features i need, and nothing i dont need. i stay plenty warm for winter delta riding. also the oneill shop is only an hour and a half away so i was able to find the perfect fit so that helped me go with Oneill.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-20-2009, 3:10 PM Reply   
I would look into a Drysuit, we ride the lakes here in UT till the ice forms. Nothing better than wearing sweats and riding the chilly water when nobody else even thinks of going out.

Upload
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-20-2009, 3:30 PM Reply   
In my book if it's cold enough for a wetsuit wear a drysuit. Why even both getting wet. It's awesome. If I didn't look like a kook I'd wear my drysuit all season You have to the Oniell Boost though. Best suit around.
Old     (havasu4life)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-20-2009, 4:07 PM Reply   
that is such a crazy picture! little to cold for me though.... i switch from liquid force to burton come january..
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-20-2009, 7:39 PM Reply   
I also say drysuit... I usually go straight from drysuit to trunks as soon as the air temp is decent enough to brave the cold water temp. Progress from sweats and hoodie underneath to board shorts and a vest, the fact that you don't get wet keeps you super warm.

This year I changed to closed toe bindings and got a couple lined wetsuit hoods for the super cold days, and wear a pair of gloves.
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-20-2009, 8:38 PM Reply   
whats a dry suit cost?
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-20-2009, 8:58 PM Reply   
I am right there with you, I am starting to look at drysuits to get ready for winter when it hits. I am looking at the oneill hybrid. I have heard good reviews and they say it works really well. I have seen the oneill hybrid from 349-389....just gotta look around...anybody here runnin an oneill hybrid?
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-21-2009, 4:57 AM Reply   
I've never ridden the hybrid but way back I had a ski warm Sahara which is a neo drysuit and it was fine for about a season then started leaking in the seams. I would stay away from the Hybrid or any that have neoprene. I've put 5-6 hard seasons on my boost and it's still water tight. Some of the seals are starting to dry rot but that was mainly from lack of maintenance on my part in the beginning.

Make sure you treat your rubber seals with Silicone before you put the suit away for long periods of time like more than a month. This will keep the seals from dry rotting. You can get the silicone at most dive shops.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-21-2009, 11:08 AM Reply   
Greg ~~ I had a buddie that rode a Hybrid and his problem was in the water the suit would smash his goods to the point he didn't want to ride after his first set. I have been using the boost for 4 yrs now and it's ready for the 5th season. I do oil my seals after every time out and keep the zipper waxed quite often.

At least take a look at the boost, although it's a little expensive when Dec roles around it's well worth it. Here is Dec 7th 2008
Upload
Old     (sxjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-24-2009, 8:34 AM Reply   
"If" your gonna go with a wetsuit try out the oneill psycho 2. best wetsuit in my opinion.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-24-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
Really depends on how serious you are about winter riding. A lot of people like the idea of riding in the winter, but you have to ask yourself if you want to go through the winterization steps and drain your block every time you ride and have other people that are serious about sitting on the boat with you on that typical 53 degree day here in AR Dec through Feb. A drysuit will be pretty much a must Dec-Feb but a full or even a shorty can keep you riding in late fall and early spring.

Personally for me, if it is too cold in a shorty, it is too cold to wakeboard.
Old     (tcmercil)      Join Date: May 2006       08-24-2009, 12:42 PM Reply   
Well - depends on how serious you are, and what the climate is.... I've been out quite a bit in the Winter time here in MN - photo is of us out in February in the Twin Cities.... normally riding with a full dry suit with long underwear underneath, full dry gloves, a hoodie... and I normally ditched the booties as they don't really fit in the bindings....

It's fun, but honestly - not fun enough to go through all the work of getting dressed for it....

Quick tip - We would normally drain the hot water from our water heaters at home and bring it with us in a cooler, so once you were done riding... you could warm up your frozen toes/fingers in the hot hot water....

I think people do it now, just to say they have done it - honestly - I would rather be on the slopes as well...

Upload
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-24-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
nor cal is where its at. 2 mm spring suit and your good to go the entire winter. its cold a 2 mm but definatly doable.
Old     (n00b)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-24-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
I have an O'Neills PsychoII and it's fantastic!