Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    simba            01-27-2004, 1:48 PM Reply   
I got a hold of the Florida marine patrol today to find out what the law is for distance to stay away from another boat while passing or if a skier is down.

Heres what I found out. Even though florida has more boats than any other state, we have no law for that. NONE.

I asked who would be at fault and she said, they just passed a law where an officer will not even come out to the boating accident unless over 2000.00 of damage was done, it was 500.00 but it just changed to 2000.00.

So whats that tell me, since the guy had a old piece of crap john boat I could have rammed it till it sank and since 2000.00 of damage wasnt done (his boat wasnt worth 500.00) no officers would be involved!

They really need to set some laws in this state because theres not even a law of how far you have to stay away from a swimmer or fallen skier. I was sarcastic after I found out this and Said so I can do 50mph 10 feet away from a fallen skier and she replyed, you can but it wouldnt be very nice. Go Florida!

(Message edited by simba on January 27, 2004)
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-27-2004, 2:47 PM Reply   
unreal. I can't believe that response.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-27-2004, 2:57 PM Reply   
that is basically what i said in the last thread. sorry about your luck.

at least i won't worry too much now when i see tiny jon boats on the lake. if we swamp them we don't have to worry about officers coming out. haha just kidding.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-27-2004, 5:04 PM Reply   
haha i gues its easier to get even now,swamp the piss out of the next boat that does that :-)
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-02-2004, 3:38 PM Reply   
Mean while on the West Coast we have not enough water and to many laws. My Uncle got fined over $100.00 and is on boating probation for two years cause his wife was sitting on the V-Drive at idle speed. Gotta love California.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-02-2004, 4:19 PM Reply   
Shawn,
Do you mean she was sitting on the sun deck (like on a Nautique v-drive) in the back???
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       02-02-2004, 4:26 PM Reply   
Florida also repealed the motorcycle helmet law. You used to have to wear a helmet, I guess they thought that was a bad idea, and decided you don't need one anymore! Incredible. Also no cell phone law in FL. Theoretically, you ride your motorcycle down the street without a helmet while talking on your cell phone and it is perfectly legal.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-02-2004, 4:30 PM Reply   
Yeah Wake_Fun She was just sitting on the sun deck at an idle....bunch of B.S.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-02-2004, 4:35 PM Reply   
We got a similar ticket on the Delta. We were idling and a friend sat up on the gunrail to take a picture. Sheriff fined the driver over $400.00. No warning, nothing. It was our first year on the water. We had no idea it was illegal.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-03-2004, 5:01 AM Reply   
ILLEGAL!? To sit on the sundeck at idle? That's insane. I had no idea. Is that just in California?
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-03-2004, 5:19 AM Reply   
Well, you know Flordia has a lot of retirees, perhaps they are trying to thin the herd...
Old    murrayair            02-03-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
I simpathize with you, Ron, but I would rather have an inadaquate amount of laws on the water than too many, like here in CA. Cops will fine you for anything and everything, like what happpened to J-Rod. It SUCKS!!! Especially since I know more about water saftey and how much my equiptment can take than any officer. Maybe they are just jelous that my JP side entry 3D molded vest is the $#!% and they are stuck with those dorky nylon ones.
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-04-2004, 1:39 PM Reply   
Not to sound like I'm preaching but... There are reason's these things are against the law. Usually people died, the legislature passed laws, and these guys are mandated by law to enforce them. If you dont agree with the laws, contact your elected officials and VOTE.
Old    ag4ever            02-04-2004, 2:19 PM Reply   
Not to sound like I am preaching, but MOST laws are due to the fact that we can not take responsibilty for our own actions, and therefore we must outlaw anything that has any risk because if we decide to take the risk and get hurt we feel as though we are entitled to sue somebody for not stopping us from taking the risk or telling us about the risk.

if I want to stand on my head on my sun deck while somebody if driving my boat at 50 mph, and I am not endangering the lives of anybody else, that should be my right to do so. For the goverment to prohibit me from doing that is unconstitutional. Wars have been started for less!

BTW, most laws are not voted on by the regular person, and voted on by the elected oficials. We don't know 90% of what they do while up on the hill. Do you personally know the last law your congressman voted for?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-04-2004, 2:22 PM Reply   
Who has that 'beating the dead horse' graphic????
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-04-2004, 2:27 PM Reply   
I do know the last law my congressman voted for, It was the one that my team called a meeting with him for and gave him the information to draft it. Then my partner gave a presentation in front of the legislature on why it should be passed.
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       02-06-2004, 9:24 AM Reply   
Ron
While it appears (from a little research at the FL website) that what that officer said was technically accurate (about distance),there are a few paragraphs from the Florida law that would apply. It boils down to the same thing that the FAA can do to pilots, when all else doesn't cover your transgression, they go for "careless and reckless operation" which in FLorida boating law is a 1st degree misdemeanor ($100 and 60 days max I believe). Now the problem comes (apparently) in trying to get them out to you. BUT i'm thinking if you have witnesses, that maybe even a local cop could cite them. In any case, there is a law, it just isn't well-defined.

http://www.boatsafe.com/Florida/index.htm

Here it is:Speed Limits and Reckless Operation:

Any vessel operating in a speed zone posted as "Idle Speed - No Wake" must operate at the minimum speed that will maintain steerageway.

Any vessel operating in a speed zone posted as "Slow Down - Minimum Wake" must operate fully off plane and completely settled in water. The vessel's wake must not be excessive nor create a hazard to other vessels.

Anyone who operates a vessel with a willful disregard for the safety of persons or property will be cited for reckless operation (a first-degree misdemeanor).

All operators are responsible for operating their vessel in a reasonable and prudent manner with regard for other vessel traffic, posted restrictions, in the presence of a diver-down flag, and other circumstances so as not to endanger other people or property. Failure to do so is considered careless operation.

A violation of the Federal Navigation Rules is also a violation of Florida law. Except in the event of an emergency, it is unlawful to moor or fasten to any lawfully placed navigation aid or regulatory marker.

Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-06-2004, 10:35 AM Reply   
Robert -
I'm one for not having the government try and regulate everything...that's for sure. But I also like to add that if you die falling off your sun deck mid 50 mph headstand and die...I don't want to pay w/ my tax money for the police/search and rescue to find your body and also the increased premiums for my insurance.

I know it is a difficult proposition to balance the rights of individuals w/ the rights of all.... but I definitely lean more towards your side of lessor regulation than more.

Another good example is the Perrine bridge in Twin Falls, Idaho where I grew up. It is one of the last places in the country where it's not illegal to b.a.s.e jump off a bridge and I think that's great. I just don't want someone's family suing the city if they die. And it'd be nice if they all had to put a deposit down for there recovery if they're a little late on the shoot opening.

There is a couple really cool places to board up river a couple miles from the bridge. You just don't want to go over the huge waterfalls! :-)
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-06-2004, 11:02 AM Reply   
If I had a dollar for every time a PWC or boat operated their vessel with "willful disregard for the safety of persons or property" in my presence...
Say I got video of someone doing this and their registration numbers - I wonder if they could get cited via mail or some other way. Hmmmm.