Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bkey79)      Join Date: May 2010       07-01-2010, 9:10 AM Reply   
So I sold my Bu and found a 1996 Super Sport Nauti for a good deal... After a meet and a successful test drive we agreed on a price and I towed it home May 27th. Spent $1500 to rewire, replace fried speakers, custom make a box, add another battery and perko switch at Custom Sounds and had the windows tinted.. The boat was in bad need of some love and the trailer was pretty rough, both axles on a single axle dorsey were bent after further inspection. Found a new trailer and headed North to Austin for Memorial Weekend. Here's where things go bad...

Saturday, May 29th :

We hit the lake kinda late and the water was pretty rough, finally found a smooth area to throw in at. Start filling up the ballast and noticed the boat start listing bad to one side, **** port side ballast not filling. No prob, unhooked the ballast puppy and plugged in the fly high pump and we got under way.. Set the perfect pass and off we went. Well first double up the boat hit, the perfect pass screen turns into what looks like the matrix movie. Still works, but the screen is black and unreadable. Nothing I could do fixed it... Later I found out the impeller was fried on the ballast puppy, no prob, I had spares and now ready for the party on lake travis on sunday..

Sunday May 30th :

I've never seen water this rough, ocean size swells! So obviously no wakeboarding today, but I'll enjoy the party.

Tied up to another SAN, in a line of at least 50 boats. As I was on another boat, someone stepping onto my rear seat fell and broke the base of the rear seats... And while I was out a pontoon boat tied up and didnt use bumpers, scratching my hull to ****.. As soon as I saw that I rushed over and untied them, with a big WTF face on! In the process of untying them a girl makes a dash to jump on my boat. Well she slipped and tried to catch her, dislocating by shoulder... Im well beyond happy and now in pain. Got the shoulder back in, had a smoke to relieve the pain and had to chill while my friends continued to party and have a good time.

Finally time to leave with a boat full of drunks and me not in the best of moods. Well on the way home the master caution light turns on. The warning light says "for loss of oil pressure or over heating." Oil pressure at 50psi, water temp at 160 and no where to tie up while I'm waiting on the trailer to back in, so I leave it running.. Get the boat tied up and wiped down, inspecting the damage of the day, clearly I'm not happy...

As I'm leaving out of the marina, there's cops everywhere! One jumps on my ass and sure enough lights me up. Great, I'm hauling a truck full of drunks with 5-0 walking up. Pulled me over for no license plate!! Turns out someone jacked my plate! I have all the paperwork from the recent buy and he lets me off with a warning.

Tuesday, June 1st.
Boat finally makes it to the Sail and Ski (Nautique shop...) Says it will be 2 weeks before they can look at it.

Tuesday, June 29th.
Apparently the boats from flood in San Marcos are more important than my boat. And because of the impending hurricane, they are trying to find places to put the boats from the coast. Finally they started to look at it.. Cant figure out why the master caution light is on. Says they have grounded out, replaced and inspected all the sensors. All are working condition and apparently the older computer doesn't send codes..

Thursday, July 1st :

Its been a month, and Sail and Ski is waiting on call from PCM to help them diagnose the problem. And apprently they want their lead tech to look at it, which wont be till tomorrow. $%#&!!! I WANT MY BOAT BACK!!! I've only used it twice, in rough water and haven't had a good day on it yet!! I SHOULD HAVE NEVER SOLD THE BU!!!!

A couple pics from before the new trailer and the trip to Austin.. Its getting a full detail, new rub rails and a lot of get coat work while its at the shop.. After and if they figure out whats wrong with it.

Last edited by bkey79; 07-01-2010 at 9:19 AM.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-01-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
That sucks bro! Hopefully you get it back in working order and salvage the rest of summer.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-01-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
wow that is one sh&tty day. Can only get better for sure..
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-01-2010, 9:36 AM Reply   
It sucks you jumped from something you knew to what you thought was a good deal, but is turning into someones problem they were trying to get rid of.
Old     (l_b)      Join Date: Aug 2009       07-01-2010, 9:40 AM Reply   
thats one good run of bad luck. Look on the bright side, things can only get better.

Nice looking Nautique btw.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2010, 9:46 AM Reply   
Hang in there, at least you know it can't get any worse .
Old     (bkey79)      Join Date: May 2010       07-01-2010, 10:00 AM Reply   
Well I haven't seen the bill yet!!
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-01-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
If they keep putting you off in SA, let me know and I can probably get you into the one here in Austin. Sorry about the bad luck man....
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-01-2010, 2:14 PM Reply   
Man...looks like I sold that old nautique just in the nick of time.....j/k, Show it some TLC and it will be fine
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-01-2010, 2:16 PM Reply   
I feel for ya....I've made the same mistake...

9/10 times with the conditon the boat was in the owner neglected it and you just bought a turd. When I buy now if it's not in acceptable condition when I buy...forget about it. If the owner can't find the tie to fix littel things ( blown speakers, clean up some wiring) they are in no way properly maintianing the baot IMO. Unfortuanelty I can almsot guaranteee your problems won't' end untill you sell.

Chaulk up as lesson learned IMO.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-01-2010, 6:30 PM Reply   
Wow... that sucks. I hate to say it, but... Adam's right. That second photo you posted hints at the amount of neglect and mistreatment that boat has probably seen. You can see the axle is bent just looking at the pic -- the wheel's not even straight with the wheel well!

Good luck with it all.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-02-2010, 12:04 AM Reply   
I swear to God -- if someone started a dealership that could fix boats in less than a week, they'd be billionaires. This is a common problem... seems like all dealerships / boat mechanics are slow and not understanding...

Never the less, aside from the trailer -- boat looks hot and I'm sure you'll get some use out of it. I have a perfectly good (and running) malibu that I havent taken out because i've taken on more responsibilities at work -- I totally regret that right now... I have to blame myself, not some douche with a wrench....

Best of luck though...
Old     (bkey79)      Join Date: May 2010       07-16-2010, 4:48 PM Reply   
Friday July 16th, 2010.

Finally!!! Boat looks brand new and the trailer looks awesome! New 750 fat sacs for the rear, man tomorrow can't come soon enough!

Turns out a previous owner did a little custom wiring into the factory wiring harness. That wire shorted, burning a couple of the factory wires.

Total maintenance bill was a lil over $4400, trailer I got for a (to me) steal at $3000. But they didn't leave a bolt, nut, oil untouched! Finally ready for the summer!

Old    mojo            07-16-2010, 5:02 PM Reply   
looks sick. enjoy
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-16-2010, 5:10 PM Reply   
Let the good times roll!!! Looks incredible!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-16-2010, 5:17 PM Reply   
Lookin good !!!!!!
Old     (rebelman10)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-18-2010, 7:32 PM Reply   
Cherry!
Old     (bkey79)      Join Date: May 2010       07-19-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
Thanks! A few minor tweaks now... Perfect pass gauge still turns off when ya hit a good sized roller, impeller on the front ballast puppy is fried and the starboard ballast puppy isnt getting any power.. Minor things in respect to what has happened so far...
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-19-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
get those yellow impellars for your ballast puppies. they should last you a couple of seasons.
Old     (bkey79)      Join Date: May 2010       07-19-2010, 12:31 PM Reply   
I bought some that are neon green
Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       07-19-2010, 1:36 PM Reply   
Looks sharp!
Glad things are slowly starting to turn around...new (used) toys always take time to work out the kinks.
Also, X2 for the yellow impellars, they are the best.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-19-2010, 2:30 PM Reply   
Yeah - the neon greens are supposed to be the new yellow ones I guess. SO im sure theyll work as good if not better than the yellows.
Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       07-19-2010, 5:10 PM Reply   
Miguel -Did the salesman tell you that? ;-D
That's good info to have, I didn't know that -thanks for the heads up.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-20-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
Looks great! You have the Nautique doppleganger of my Malibu...............