Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (midlifecrisis)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-22-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
When I first started surfing, I rode behind a guy that drove in circles (nothing too tight). Is this better to produce a higher wake or does it really matter. If turning is the key rather than going straight, what direction if surfing on the portside?
Old     (wakelover04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-22-2008, 9:43 AM Reply   
when surfing alot of people say going in circles really helps the wake.it make it larger. I dont drive in circles, also if u look at comps and videos they dont drive in circles either.also it rounds out the wave when you drive in circles.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-22-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
Rick, some people drive in a circle to compensate for a poor wake. The boat you show in your profile, should not have any problem at all throwing a great wake going straight down the lake. When weighting your boat, remember to put some weight in the bow. This will lengthen your wake.
Old     (midlifecrisis)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-22-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
Roy - thanks for the tip on the bow weight. One more question - if we surf solely on the port side, is there any need to put ballast on the starboard side? One more - can you stack ballast bags in the v-drive locker (port side) or am I asking for trouble?
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       04-22-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
stack away. no need for starboard weight, or center. Getting the boat to list or lean is an important factor when weighting deep v hull boats like centurions. Center ballast seems to decrease list a little bit. Ed set up an avy for a comp and had pictures of an good looking wave. In my centurion a 3, 2, 1 back to front weight distribution works the best 3 - 600lbs in the back (vdrive locker), 2 - 300 on the passenger side bench, and 1 - 200 in the nose. Or 900lb 450lb 300lb.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-22-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
Rick,

Save yourself a lot of time and get a 750 fat sac for the port locker. Then plumb your ballast pump to this bag. Doing this allows you to fill and drain with the flip of a switch. If you have room under the Port side bench seat, you can but a fat sac under the seat and then plumb the starboard pump to this sac. I set my X2 up this way it it works great. A nice thing about your boat is you can get a very good wake without having to add a lot of weight.
Old     (wakelover04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-26-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
you should ask Drew Danielo how to weight that boat that is the same boat he uses.that boat does not need much more then stock ballast to kick up a good wave.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-26-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
I have never driven in circles, just weighted things to get the boat to list. I am going to use more bow weight this year though to get a longer pocket. We board/surf on a river and there aren't alot of areas where it is wide enough to go in a slow turn, so we have always just driven straight.