Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-15-2007, 12:07 PM Reply   
I am copy and pasting from another thread.... Need to order soon, getting this here by Christmas is a MUST.

Why a point and shoot over an entry level dSLR?

It is for my in-laws. I assume they will never use the dSLR outside of the green box catch everything auto mode.

You can get a Canon Xt with the 18-55 for “close” to the same cost as a Canon S3 of Canon S5. The in-laws already have a SLR bag, they had a Pentax SLR as a camera before it bit the dust(used as a P&S), so I would have to worry about getting a bag.

I have no idea what a good point and shoot is.

Have been put in charge of getting a camera for them and am VERY open to suggestions. Need to order soon, shipping time is running out.

Thanks in advance…..

post #2.
Seems that better P&S cameras are not much smaller than a 350D..... Obviously the dSLR is not going in a purse.....and the P&S could. I will find out if this should be a major consideration.....it may very well be.

Big advantage I see is shutter lag, though admittedly I am not sure that has not been addressed sufficiently by the current better P&S cameras. There was NOTHING more frustrating in my old P&S digital days than missing a ton of shots of the kids due to shutter lag.

Is there any advantage to a P&S over a dSLR other than size and relative cost? Again assuming you are using the 18-55 exclusively? I guess having no IS would be one..... I would not bump the budget to IS lens range.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-15-2007, 1:32 PM Reply   
D40x and XTi are both too much, even with the 18-55's.... We will be supplementing the cost(with the 2 other kids) even going to the Xt, which will end up just over $500 with a 2GB card.

Will stick with Canon if we do go dSLR as they can always borrow my glass if they needed.

Assume they will never purchase another lens......the 18-55 may never leave the camera.

So if it was the S5 or the Xt.....think just over $100 difference in cost.

Not saying we would get the S5, just that CNET had the S3 rated very high as a P&S.....so that is where the S5 and S3 came from originally.

Wow....just found a D40 with the 18-55, 55-200 & 1GB card for $560..... That seems like a deal....

Of course no changing glass.......but don't know if that would ever happen....it would be a nice option, but this looks like an option to discuss.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       12-16-2007, 12:30 AM Reply   
Look here:
http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/should-you-buy-a-dslr-or-point-and-shoot-digital-camera/