Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old    malibu73            12-01-2006, 4:20 PM Reply   
What is the advantage to a carbon fier handle? I have a little ski hande and rope now and was thinking of buying a new handle and was wondering is it worth it to go carbon fiber? Does it float?Whats the difference?
Old     (97sunsetter)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-01-2006, 5:21 PM Reply   
I am also wondering what the advantages of a carbon fiber handle are. I am currently using a Proline wakeboard rope/handle I bought for like $40 at Dicks ant it seems to be doing great. Is there something special about a carbon fiber handle/ expensive mainline?
Old    malibu73            12-01-2006, 5:27 PM Reply   
I know that an expensive (no strech) mainline helps to load the line, but am still wondering about the handle.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       12-01-2006, 5:32 PM Reply   
A good mainline makes a big difference, I have never used a carbon fiber handle.
Old     (doubleup_dan)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-01-2006, 5:34 PM Reply   
i know it is great for breaking you fingers and feels great when takin a back egde and hit your head on it (i concussed my self and hd a lump size of a grapefruit) but after a year using one i switched back and there is no difference at all
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       12-01-2006, 5:41 PM Reply   
You know I bought the 2006 accurate handle and I love it... Don't mix your handle and your board though... It has a new grip and also a handle design and I love it... I guess it can really help with Ralley's and other off axis tricks with the no flex in the handle but I do basic inverts and grabs and there in no difference for me... The grip in the best part of the whole handle and I found it on ebay (New) for $50...
Old    malibu73            12-01-2006, 6:28 PM Reply   
does a carbon fiber handle float?
Old     (magnusm)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-01-2006, 6:47 PM Reply   
Mine seems to float, but I think it might be some other part of the set-up (rope, grip etc), but anyway, it will not just sink like a rock to the bottom of the lake, but I haven't tried it not attached to the rope.
The main thing for me that I like is it unbelievably light, the down side is it is so hard it will take a chip out of your board, your boat or your head before it will give.
Old     (wakebadass)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-01-2006, 7:23 PM Reply   
Carbon handles are nothing special. Just get a good regular handle and it will be just as nice. Yes they do float, they are built with an air core so that they float.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-01-2006, 7:25 PM Reply   
They look really cool, dont they? But if it hits you, they hurt. If it hits the boat, it can crack, maybe scratch the boat. If it hits your board, it will take a ding out of it.

I think the manufacturers knew they look cool and would be great, but in reality, it wont make you land that trick any other handle cant. BTW, did I say they look really cool....lol.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       12-01-2006, 8:45 PM Reply   
I think everybody has the right word on this subject, and yes it will not help you land your hardest trick nor go out and bust up your gear... They are very light handles with some of the best grips on the market I think... I say if you get a chance to try one do it, but don't pay full price thinking it will make you a better rider... I picked one up for a great price and really like it!!!

P.S.
I would like to hear something about somebody getting hit by one... Unless you are playing cowboy when you throw the rope out, I really have never came close being hit or the boat by the handle... Now you can start a whole new thread about the rope beating up your boat... Good Times on the water...

Upload

(Message edited by downfortheride on December 01, 2006)
Old    walt            12-01-2006, 9:23 PM Reply   
I've never cared for the carbon fiber or hard handles. I don't like the way they feel and I've smacked my hands on them a few times.

I've also witnessed people banging them off the side of the boat when retrieving the line.

The Premier handle is my personal favorite.
Old     (firedawg)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-02-2006, 12:04 AM Reply   
IMO - Carbon fiber handles look cool but offer no extra advantage to the sport. It does offer more ways to injure yourself and damage your board. When the handle comes i contact with your board (and it will eventually) either the board gets damaged or the handle gets damaged. again imo not worth the extra cash. Do get yourself a good line, that is worth every penny. I have found the dyneema (sp)line to be outstanding in every way.
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-27-2006, 10:23 PM Reply   
For all of you that say they do nothing extra and that they are pointless, you are wrong..

The main thing with carbon fiber handles is that they keep their shape.... meaning, that the 2 sides of the traingle that don't have the grip never fold in.... when traditional handles do fold in, that limits the amount of grabable handle for you to get a hold of....

Now that that is said, a lot of non-carbon handles are being made to act like this without using carbon... for example, the Murray handle from accurate uses "torrsion bars" which makes the handle keep it shape... but on that note, theres no way little plastic "torrsion bars" are strong er than carbon so they might break....

My opinion: Carbon handles do help with passing the handle because the handle is always the same shape and never contorted at all.... Is it nessecary, no, but they do help.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-28-2006, 2:54 AM Reply   
I have a carbon handle and love it. Does it help? Not sure, but I'd rather ride with one. I seem to ride better. Probably just a mental thing and not a handle thing. Same as anything. Technique is everything. Does it chip and mark the boat? Yup. Not like my son and his buddies boards never hit the transom and leave marks. It's all good. I'm with Josh, I love the grip. Is there something better? Don't know, haven't tried everything. Buy and ride what you like. My .02.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-28-2006, 8:53 AM Reply   
If you are grabbing the front V of a handle on handle passes you might want to worry more about your sloppy ass handle passes and less about the material of your handle. When does a traditional handle really fold in? Soeaking of sloppy handle passes, watch a tour event, at least once a day a rider gets lazy/late and tosses their arm through the handle and rides away like that, that might sting a little more on a jagged carbon death stick.

Personally I don't like 'em. I've used many and never felt they were some sort of improvement. Eventually the thing will crack from smacking something and you will be left with a handle with a jagged edge. My experience was at a demo I rode someones handle and sliced the crap out of my hand because it had fractured and left a jagged edge of carbon. Whoopee!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       12-28-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
for me its all about grip... I rode with the oldschool premier handle for years, loved it, it wore out, it took chunks out of my board too... The rubber ends on the aluminum handle wore through and took digs out of my topsheet. Then when I rode other times I'd ride behind my friends boat and he had the straightline carbon handle. I happened upon one for half off... dealer cost, bought it and love it. I can ride any handle, when gerry nunn came to town he had the oldschool flat smooth rubber grip, I learned 5s on that handle, then did them with my friends accurate carbon handle, a cheap straightline oldschool handle and my carbon handle, its just the amount of comfort I get from day to day riding with my carbon handle that I love. I've never had a handle pass go awry either and had to grab the side... I have grabbed with 3 fingers before... that was interesting. So your answer... they're nice if you find em for the right price, but its mostly mental and doesnt really matter... to me anyways...
Oh yea, and the SL carbon handle you can wrap the rope around like a spool, I think thats pretty sweet haha, that way I can never yell at my dad for taking care of the rope wrong...
Old    innov8actionsports.com            12-28-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
Its all personal preference, but I am diggin my new Proline Faction Handle, it is sick, holds it shape and the grip is the best IMO.
Heres a link
http://www.cwbwakeboards.com/2007/index.php?mod=ropes_detail&id_prd=47&id_hed=5
Old     (wakeboarder843)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-01-2007, 7:13 PM Reply   
I just bought an 06 parks carbon handle and it is a lot lighter which helps me do my handle passes a lot easier especially if you dont have a t grip or v grip to weigh the handle down
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-01-2007, 7:30 PM Reply   
that Faction looks alot like my 05 Murray which has been working out great.