Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-09-2006, 1:02 PM Reply   
I am trying to hook 2 Tsunami 1200 pumps up using a 3 way switch for a semi auto ballast system. My question is where do most of you tie in power for the pumps. It looks like my fuse panel is completely full so should I try to find some sort of in-line fuse or do I even need to worry about a fuse? I could tie into the + an - terminals on the fuse panel if I dont need a fuse.

I know very little about electrical stuff so please pardon my ignorance.
Old     (rob_pitchford)      Join Date: Nov 2004       06-09-2006, 4:06 PM Reply   
I have a custom board with fuses and relays for two semi automatic pumps. The board is installed near my batteries at the back of the boat. I run each pump off a rocker switch. I will post some picks soon. I would not recommend installing the pump without at least a fuse.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-10-2006, 7:01 PM Reply   
The Tsunami 1200's are aerators so they don't use much power. Depending on how nice you want it to look there are lots of options. If it were mine I would use one of my 20A Parts Express closeout amp wiring harnesses that I have in a drawer. A single 20A fuse should be plenty of power for the pumps, run #12 Thhn wire from the hardware store and you are good to go. If you want to get fancy you can also buy paired black/red jacketed wire here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-2-AWG-Marine-Tinned-Boat-Cable-Wire-Blk-Red-50-FT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50437QQitemZ46467367 53QQrdZ1
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-10-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
#12 is probably overkill to each pump, #14 would be fine, that 20A was for both running together, 10A each should be adequate, #16 might even be big enough each but it might get warm?
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-11-2006, 2:38 PM Reply   
Thanks fo the replies. I want to keep it as simple as possible so I think I will just run a single 10 amp fuse since I wont ever run both pumps at the same tome.