Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-06-2012, 8:47 AM Reply   
We just tried out the new Surf Pockets the wife made on Fry. They work perfect no more stepping over the surf boards on the back sun deck. I dont know who it was on this forum that turned me on to surf pockets it was on the deleted thread. This is why I still read the posts on WW. In between all the fighting, b*tching and moaning there is still a lot of USEFULL information here.
Thanks for the information and Thanks to Tige for the Idea.

Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-06-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
I would like to see a full picture of your boat and van. My MB has the same colors and I have been thinking about trading in my truck for a van.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-06-2012, 9:17 AM Reply   
White and orange,one of my favorite color combosSurf pockets an awesome idea!!!

Last edited by slowwwflowww; 05-06-2012 at 9:21 AM.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-06-2012, 9:40 AM Reply   
Here you go.

Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-06-2012, 4:28 PM Reply   
Very cool surf pockets, indeed. Love the idea. How did you get them made? I assume they started with your factory bimini. Did you just take it to a custom canvas shop?

Seriously loving this idea.

One question, I see the straps in the back. But what keeps the boards from sliding out the front?
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-06-2012, 8:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
Very cool surf pockets, indeed. Love the idea. How did you get them made? I assume they started with your factory bimini. Did you just take it to a custom canvas shop?

Seriously loving this idea.

One question, I see the straps in the back. But what keeps the boards from sliding out the front?
The idea came from the Tige forum we used the same pic as posted by jkw above . My wife works for Cover Girl marine upholstery in Buford Ga so with the picture as a model we started by applying a HD vinyl base to the top of the bimini then made the pockets out of sunbrella. There is a HD bungee cord simalar to the board racks sewn in on both front and back of the pocket then all the pieces are sewn to the bimini. The fins and bungees hold the boards down and stop forward movement the buckles at the back prevent the wind from pushing them back. They are rock solid at 37 mph.
Old     (Giddyup)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-07-2012, 7:49 AM Reply   
JKL
Great looking boat, not trying to high jack but. Could you tell me about your lights. I'm looking for something just like that, I like the small lights on your tower.

Thanks
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-07-2012, 8:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giddyup View Post
JKL
Great looking boat, not trying to high jack but. Could you tell me about your lights. I'm looking for something just like that, I like the small lights on your tower.

Thanks
The lights are made by Skylon for the Gladiator tower (see link below). However, I ordered my directly from Centurion because Centurion builds a speaker mount that holds both the WS and light (and you cant buy the speaker mount anywhere else).

http://www.skylonsports.com/wakeboar...s-led-cgl.html
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-06-2012, 5:48 PM Reply   
mhunter: looks great!

ixfe: here is a thread on Tige Owners that goes through a few different ways of making the surf socks

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14468

I thought about adding those to my bimini, but went with custom surf racks under the tower. I wanted my custom boards to stay in the shade under the bimini and since my tower is 7ft, I had plenty of room.
Attached Images

Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-06-2012, 5:59 PM Reply   
^^^^^^that looks really cool and an amazing idea!
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-06-2012, 6:41 PM Reply   
I just found my old large cargo net from my jeep days. My wake racks are not in yet so I am going to put the net over the Bimini and put the boards under the net. Then just pull the fins through the netting to secure them. I like the socks idea
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-07-2012, 8:02 AM Reply   
Cool. It is definitely nice getting boards up and out of the way.

IXFE
Since you are local there is a shop in Hillsboro that sewed straps on another Malibu's bimini and allows boards to be stored up there. Not rugged like a Z5, but it will give you the ability to get surf boards up there or even just rest wake boards when the boat is not in motion.