Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-07-2008, 4:58 PM Reply   
I'm planning on powdercoating my boat trailer this winter and was wondering how and if anyone else has taken their boat off the trailer for maintenance.

I know the first thing people are gonna say is to just moor it at a marina or something but that's just not feasible for me. I've seen some pics and write ups online but wanted to see if anyone on WW had some tips.
Old     (chevychris)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-07-2008, 5:04 PM Reply   
why not just take it to a storage place that stores boats off of trailers the can pick it up and keep it safe
Old     (tdiggity)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-07-2008, 5:15 PM Reply   
jackstands, a hoist, or a big forklift are the only ways if ya dont wanna float it
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-07-2008, 5:25 PM Reply   
Or borrow someone else's trailer to keep the boat on for a few days.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-07-2008, 5:30 PM Reply   
ask you local dealer. they deffiantely have the capabilities to lift it up and keep it off the trailer on another trailer or stand. with sales being slow they probably have room
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       10-07-2008, 7:11 PM Reply   
possibly you could call some marinas that have hundreds of trailers just sitting? maybe they could help you get in touch with the owner of the trailer so you could work out a deal...
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-08-2008, 4:48 AM Reply   
Hang it from a big tree in the backyard just like you do an engine.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-08-2008, 6:19 AM Reply   
I let a guy in my neighborhood borrow my trailer ( my boat sits on a lift) to do the exact same thing you are doing.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-08-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
It's alot of work but I have used a floor jack to lift a boat starting in the rear using blocks and a timber to support the boat. Then move to the front and lift the boat high enough to roll the trailer out.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-08-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
I originally had thought about using jacks and blocks. It seems easy but possibly dangerous. I'm going to look into if the local dealership will do something. The only place anywhere around here that actually stores boats off of trailers is disco bay, I may explore that also. Thanks for the tips.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-08-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
Dave - Not sure about your schedule, but if the timing works out you can use my trailer. I keep my boat in a slip, but it's out right now for some maintenance. I plan to get it back in before the end of October so the trailer will be empty for quite a while after that.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-08-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
You can get a hold of me when you decide to do it... As long as my hoist isn't being used, you're more then welcome to use it.. I'm in Disco
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-08-2008, 4:32 PM Reply   
haha myke... you chimed in right before me. i was gonna say i know a guy that might have an open hoist as long as keys are left.... hahahaha
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-08-2008, 4:38 PM Reply   
Thanks Nate & Myke, I'll keep you guys in mind for sure when this comes to happen. I don't plan on doing this till prolly after this month.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-08-2008, 8:09 PM Reply   
I can't find the thread at the moment, but on another forum site (From NZ) there were pictures posted of a guy using tyres and blocks to prop up his boat as he pulled the trailer out from underneath it. Seemed like a pretty easy way to go about it as long as you went slow and steady. Finding tyres might be a problem... I'll keep looking for the pics.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-09-2008, 3:49 AM Reply   
I got my boat off the trailer with a couple of jacks and some concrete blocks. Did it on my own in about an hour and was pretty easy.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-09-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
You can put it down on a couple foam blocks like they do at the boat shows. You can use a floor jack and the trailer tongue jack to do it. You will also need some wood blocking.

The easiest way is to borrow a trailer. Somebody around Disco should have a trailer you can borrow. Post on team M/C.
Old     (kolibri)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-05-2008, 7:18 AM Reply   
I put three ringbolts on the ceiling of my garage. three small handwinches, that's all i need. lift the boat one inch and take the trailer out. even when i wax the hull i use this way. ok my garage is made with concrete...
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-05-2008, 7:53 AM Reply   
Andy, Tell me you put more thought into your hanging your boat from the ceiling other than, "it's concrete". Just because its concrete doesn't mean its designed for three point loads and the weight of a boat.
Old     (kolibri)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-05-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
It's a two story garage. I made the testing hanging the front of my truck on each bolt... after asking the engineer who knows the statics of our building. is that ok this way?
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-05-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
That's the way to do it. Didn't mean to pre-judge your common sense but your original post sounded like you casually just hung your boat from the ceiling.
Old     (kolibri)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-05-2008, 10:21 AM Reply   
sure no problem, thanks for preventing me from imitators running into troubles... go on wakeboarding!