Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-19-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
Any one have their ACL repair done this way? I'm currently doing my phys. therapy and they're gonna let me go back to work in about three weeks. Today will be my third session of P.T. Had my surgery on the 1st of Oct. I work on uneven terrain, in the mud ,and climb ladders with tool bags on. Does this time line seem premature? I feel like I'll be in pretty good shape by this time but I don't feel like I'll be 100%. The doc says I can return to light duty in three weeks but there's really no such thing with what I do. Any comments?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-19-2007, 8:30 AM Reply   
so you gotta "dead leg" lol.

Sorry, but i had to.. I don't know anything about busted knees. basically, your 6 weeks out of surgery. Sounds a bit early to me...
Old     (chrzanowski5)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-19-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
My first ACL reconstruction was done using my petellar tendon, the second time we used a allograft. The reovery the second time was much easier, faster and with much less pain. I recall running on the treadmill @ 3 weeks post and was cleared for normal (non-competitive) activity @ 8 weeks post. I would agree that "light duty" would be fine - you just want to avoid situations where you could have a tendency to over-stress the knee (slips, falls, etc.).

I go in this coming Thursday for my second allograft and plan to be on the snow by February (12 weeks post).

Good Luck
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-19-2007, 12:25 PM Reply   
Thanks Joe. Now is the allograft the proper term for what I had done or is it a different procedure? Day by day my progress seems to be very good but it's like if I sit for prolonged periods I get stiff in the joint. How often do you do P.T. at home?
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-19-2007, 5:27 PM Reply   
Your knee will feel strong early, but will digress as the body rejects/accepts the graft. Give it time to attach firmly to the bone, or you will be doing it all over again. I wouldn't do any serious activity that could result in hyperextension for at least 5 to 6 months. PS I've had 3 ACLs...one with patella tendon and other two with cadaver. You feel pretty normal quickly with the cadaver ligament, but the body is still healing. Don't rush it!
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-19-2007, 7:09 PM Reply   
I had mine done a little over 2.5 yrs ago. I went back to work after 10days. I stand all day too.
With your job description, I wouldn't recommend you going back to work that soon, even with post op leg brace.
If you had a limited duty job that would allow you to stay on even surfaces w/out climbing, heavy lifting, stooping, bending or just sitting and doing data entry , that would be much more idea.
It took me about the 2 yr point where I stopped having that stiffness or swelling sensation in my knee after standing all day.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-19-2007, 8:51 PM Reply   
Thanks for the comments Kat/Phantom. I plan to take it all slow but because of what I do unfortunately I have to be in the mud and uneven terrain. I don't plan on working any overtime in the beginning. I will have to be on site for at least 8 hours. Hopefully by the time I go back to the job I'm supposed to go to they will have the lower slabs poured so I don't have to be in the mud as much.
Old     (jammerwakestl)      Join Date: May 2007       10-22-2007, 5:00 AM Reply   
I have had a patella tendon graft and blew it out real quick. Then I had a hamstring graft done, its 200% stronger than a patella and like 300% more flexible than your "stock" ACL. My second recovery was real quick. i had my surgery in march and was up and riding easily by june or so.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-22-2007, 6:49 AM Reply   
Allografts are Cadaver grafts. They are very safe and less traumatic than taking a patella tendon out. These grafts are completely de-cellularized and have been irradiated so there's no chance for infection. Good luck with the knee - any ACL repairs sucks- but you don't need to worry about the graft.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-22-2007, 8:34 AM Reply   
My Son, had the same surgery 2 yrs ago after 4 mos of physical therapy he was cleared for light activity, blew it out the next day jogging on track at school, foot slipped and he heard a pop. Take your time...