Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-21-2005, 11:36 AM Reply   
I spoke with one of the lake staff, and was told the lake will be open on Monday, for the holiday weekend. Yea! My day off.

He said that on most holiday weekends, they will be open on that Monday, but it is a good idea to check and make sure.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-21-2005, 6:46 PM Reply   
So, if you're going and need a third or whatever, I'm UP!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-21-2005, 10:06 PM Reply   
Buzz, I went out today and had a great time. Lower back is killing me though
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-22-2005, 3:10 PM Reply   
Dennis,

I will sure keep you in mind, but I think the boat is already pretty full that day. If it does not work out this time, we will make it work soon. Keep in touch with me.

Dan,

Better get your butt in shape (I should talk!). We don't have that long to go. Yeeehhhhaa!! Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-22-2005, 3:36 PM Reply   
Is Mem Day one of those you have to get the boat in line the night before?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-22-2005, 3:57 PM Reply   
Dennis,

Probably Sat Sun and Mon that weekend. Even today they were sold out. When I left the lake at about 11AM, there were probably 15 boats in line waiting for boats to leave so they can get in. I would guess the holiday weekend will be just as busy.

You don't really have to get there the night before. If you get there early, before they open (as soon at it is light, I believe it was about 5:10 this morning,), then you may have a few boats ahead of you, but will get on the lake without a problem. If you wait another hour or two, you may not make it. Pretty popular place with the warm weather we have been getting. We will be doing the night before thing again. Just fun to hang out with others and have a few brews and watch a flick.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-22-2005, 5:01 PM Reply   
Okay cool, I know all about Saturday and Sunday. I've been going for years. Only braved a Monday holiday once. That was July 4 a few years ago. We had the boat in line the night before. It was a killer day though because half the boats that got in were fishermen (fishermen don't create rough water!).

I'm hoping to round something up for a Thursday or Friday run on my boat. If not, I'll be looking for a ride on the Find A Third board. :-)

In fact, maybe I better put out a feeler NOW! (just in case) :-)
Old    akman            05-22-2005, 6:02 PM Reply   
Since it is a 3 day weekend and it will be fairly warm I would say the lake will sell out Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

A few years ago the line to get in was out on Vigilante Road at 8:00am, we counted over 100 boats in line.

Another choice if you just want to get on the water and find a place to park it and hang on the water is El Capitan.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-22-2005, 6:48 PM Reply   
What's the lake that dried up and was closed a few years? Not El Cap, right?
Old    akman            05-22-2005, 6:55 PM Reply   
El Capitan HAD been closed to water contact from 1997 until May 18, 2005.

It was closed to LACK OF WATER but not dried up.

Drove by this afternoon and saw the white rooster tails of boats circling the lake at 4:00pm it was 94* as I drove by on Highway 8.
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-22-2005, 7:47 PM Reply   
Yay! That should take some load off San V!
Old     (doug_rose)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-30-2005, 8:01 PM Reply   
Went to El Capitan today, Memorial Day. The lot(s) were full, although since about 1/2 of the spaces were taken by jetskis, there were probably less boats on the lake than San V.

Good parts were that it was pretty much wide open on the "wakeboard course", although it got a little windy and choppy in the afternoon. There were also people wakeboarding in the "north arm" which is a real long, straight stretch, although there isn't supposed to be boarding there. A ranger did tell me (unofficially) that they may open that arm to wakeboarding this summer!!

Bad parts:

road in is very narrow in the last stretch to the parking lot. There is no way two boats will fit past each other in certain spots.

Water is pretty murky and dirty. Must be all the dead vegetation that hasn't hit the bottom yet following the rains and rise in lake level.

If they do officially open the north arm to wakeboarding later this summer, and the water clears a little, it will be an excellent alternative to San V. in San Diego.

(Message edited by Doug_rose on May 30, 2005)
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-31-2005, 8:41 AM Reply   
Doug,

Good news about El Cap! Is the water high enough to use both ramps or is just the one open?
Old     (doug_rose)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-31-2005, 12:23 PM Reply   
The main ramp was open (two lanes). There was another ramp to the left of that ramp below the dirt parking lot that was being used by jetskis for launching. I didn't check that ramp out that closely....