Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    mstar            06-05-2004, 6:15 PM Reply   
what makes a beginner board for beginners and advanced boards so advanced. sounds stupid but i mean differevt edges, fins, or what?
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-05-2004, 6:35 PM Reply   
nope your right its stupid and not really the general outlook for most boarders...some boards are a little more advanced as far as rocker sizes,speed,shapes and various other elelments but that doesnt mean anybody who are starting out shouldnt or couldnt ride it..

the reason there are cheaper boards stamped beginner is that most new riders dont have a style and know what board to choose as of yet so their first choice may not be the one they stick with very long..so buying something a little easier to ride and cheaper is just what some choose until they learn what there needs are..

all that said theres no reason beginners couldnt jump on a high end pro model and do well on it and maybe it will help shape their style and they can grow with the board..

anyway hope that helps and thats just my oppinion..
Old     (bradb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-06-2004, 3:02 PM Reply   
Bill & Justin,
The high end boards of today tend to be more forgiving and easier to ride by beginners than the pro models from a few years ago. However, I think that there is some merit in buying a beginner board for beginner riders. The properties that advanced riders might look for in a board (sharp edges for a stronger edge into the wake for example) may be a hinderance for a beginner working on surface spins and basic wake jumps. A board with rounder edges will tend to be more forgiving and less likely to "catch an edge" when a beginner executes a move with less than perfect technique.
While newer boards are certainly designed to be easier (more forgiving) to ride than older boards (ever try to ride a skurfer!?), buying a parks board does not mean that you will ride like parks!
I guess it is just my experience that beginner riders progress faster and with less frustration on a board more suited to their skill level. (and its easier on their wallets!)
B