Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-28-2009, 8:32 AM Reply   
Trying to get together a toolbox to keep on the boat with all the tools I would need to fix most unexpected issues while out on the water. Was just wondering what people have in their toolboxes.
As of know i have a Socket set, a few different sizes of open ended wrenches, vice grips, screw drivers, a rubber mallet, duct tape, electrical tape, wire cutters and strippers, and thats about it for now.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-28-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
I keep a few wrenches, a straight and phillips screw driver, allen wrenches...and I think that's it. It's in my glove box and needs to be cleaned out.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-28-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
I keep a kit like this onboard: http://www.autobarn.net/140piectools.html

It keeps everything organized and fairly dry, and the tools themselves are cheap but good enough for emergency use. The better ones come with crimp terminals and some other consumables. I also keep a spare prop kit, spare impeller, a spare belt, roll of electrical tape, cable ties, and a small roll of 10 ga wire.

Never had a day ruined in over 10 seasons.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-28-2009, 9:24 AM Reply   
Always keep a mask and knife or razorknife to cut the rope off your prop should it get tangled on it.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-28-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
Go to Wal-mart and get a kit for about $20. It should have everything you need.

I second what Billy said. Put a mask onboard. If you get a wal-mart kit, it comes with a nice blade.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-28-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
Billy,

You're right, I keep one in a cupholder at all times, after I had an inexperienced driver run over my spectra line. We tried to get it off the prop for a good 2 hours in the water because we didn't have a knife.
Old    shooter_08            09-28-2009, 9:54 AM Reply   
I have also been planning a tool box. I had one on my last boat, but it was always a battle to keep the tools from rusting. Nothings worse than having a problem and going to your new tool set to find they are all rusted to hell.

I'm going to spend some extra money this time and hopefully prevent this.

I'm going to buy a small waterproof Pelican case. I plan on loading it with a waterproof Pelican led flashlight, a few glow sticks, Wera SS screwdrivers / Allen wrenches, West Marine "SS" wrench set. An H1 Salt Spyderco knife, waterproof matches and some consumables (wire, tape, ties, SS screws & nuts) I will then wrap it all in a marine Tuff Cloth. The kit will cost me about $300, but a 1/3 of the cost is the knife.

I like Trace's list and would eventually like a spare prop and kit.

Trace: I have been thinking about carrying a spare impeller. Are they one size fits all? I read something about different color impellers are better, where should I buy? How hard is it to change on the fly?
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-28-2009, 10:17 AM Reply   
I second a sharp knife. Hose clamps, duct and electrical tape,zip ties, and "form-a-gasket".
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-28-2009, 10:22 AM Reply   
I have everything mentioned so far, basic wrenches & screwdrivers, knife, mask, electrical tape, spare impeller, plus some jumper cables.

Haven't pulled the trigger on a spare prop for this particular boat yet. But I have had them on previous boats..... and had to use them too.

Also have quite a few spare ski parts on board, screws, bindings, seat belts, etc.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-28-2009, 11:11 AM Reply   
I actually don't have much of a rust problem with my kit, and it's at least 7 seasons old. I sprayed it with WD40 when I first got it, and every couple years since.

There are only a few impeller types out there for ski boats, so just grab the right one from skidim.com. I've never used the supposedly run-dry impellers, but I don't run the same one for more than a couple seasons anyway.

Yep, forgot about the mask & knife. I lost my mask recently & need to get another one. Hose clamps are a good one too, for both the engine and ballast stuff.

As far as the spare prop, it's a good excuse to upgrade and keep the old one for your spare.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-28-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
I've made some loyal friends by having jumper cables. :-)
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-28-2009, 11:31 AM Reply   
I needed a jump after Boomsday a couple weekends ago, some passer by became my new best friend. That's a good call to keep a pair of those on board.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-28-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
I keep the same as mentioned above however, I have a jump-starting battery in stead of jumper cables (example: http://shop.oreillyauto.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=MTD&MfrPartNumber=11406 &CategoryCode=3014).
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-28-2009, 11:42 AM Reply   
I keep a kit in the boat and in all of my cars. The kit in the boat has almost everything you would need. I do need to keep a better knife in the boat. I also keep an impeller and jumper cables in the boat, although, I have never changed an impeller on the water, I know people who have, so I usually order an extra whenever I replace mine from season to season.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       09-28-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
I keep pretty everything yall have mentioned, small ratchet set (small Kobalt set about the size of your hand with a little knob ratchet), kobalt screw driver with interchangable heads, utility blade, little browning tactical 210 lumen led flashlight, electrical tape, duct tape, Teflon tape, zip ties, plyers, small adjustable wrench, remote wire and various wire connectors, wire stripper multitool, binding screws, jumper cables, extra bulbs for bow and stern light, repair kit for fat sacs just in case...that's about it. Oh, spare impeller with gasket! Don't keep a spare prop bc if needed (and have before) I live on the water so I can call somebody to come tow me in if it's that bad. And if there's a problem I can come back to the house, lift it and do what I need to do with all my tools and my spare prop that stays in my boat house.

Question...what kind of mask are yall talking about? Like goggles or something to see under water?
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-28-2009, 1:56 PM Reply   
don't forget rags too.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-28-2009, 2:33 PM Reply   
I bought an inexpensive tool kit that has a little of everything in a plastic case. It's been about 8 years and they have not rusted.

The extras should include a razor knife, spare impeller and a spare belt. Never had a spare prop, but if you do, don't forget the tools to pull it with.

I have changed my impeller at least 3 times at the lake.

Never thought about a mask, but that is a great idea. I've had to cut a rope out twice and those spectra lines are extremely difficult to get out!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-28-2009, 3:29 PM Reply   
Multimeter.
Did anyone mention a spare drain plug yet?
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-28-2009, 3:46 PM Reply   
Spare impeller, fuel filter, thermostat, heavy duty wire cutters, sharp knife, small and large sized phillips/flat head, hose clamps, prop puller, vice grips, needle nose vice grips, needle nose pliers, regular pliers, huge size pliers, several common wrenches, 5/8's socket for spark plugs, zip ties, small flash light, extra 10 guage wire, extra bolts for wakeboard bindings, multi tester. That's about all I can fit in one of the medium sized orange west marine tool boxes
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-28-2009, 3:52 PM Reply   
No spare drain plug...... But I do have a spare gas cap.
I read somewhere that a 1.5" PVC drain plug is the same size & thread as a gas cap on a Malibu. So I picked up one at Home Depot for like a buck & threw it in the glovebox.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-28-2009, 5:11 PM Reply   
In addition to most of the above, I have the large-size wrenches that allow me to adjust the stuffing box while on the water.
Old     (noquams)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-28-2009, 5:15 PM Reply   
Home Depot carries Workforce a two bag pack. One is black and one is grey.The black on is a bit larger. I put a full set of wrenches a coulpe screw drivers and allen wrneches. I also have a socket set. I keep a new impeller and the prior one I took off from the prior year. I also keep a spare serp belt. I have replaced my impeller in the water. it was not fun but saved the day. I cant imagine going out on the water without tools. Its saved the day many a time for me and others out on the water.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-28-2009, 5:19 PM Reply   
I keep extra fly high fittings along with this kit which has just about every bit or socket. The one that really comes in handy is the one that fits on the hose clamps for the ballast system and also exhaust it's from home depot called husky 45 bit mini stubby kit about $17.99
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-28-2009, 5:25 PM Reply   
I use an amo box. I painted it silver. It contains needle nose plyers,regular plyers,cresent wrench,zip ties,channel lock plyers,flat and phillips screw driver,electrical tape,wire,hammer,some wrenches,knife,fuses,sockets and wrachet,spare ignition key,binding parts,impeller and a sprinkler valve
Old     (michale)      Join Date: May 2004       09-28-2009, 6:24 PM Reply   
Duct tape and bailing wire. I have a mastercraft.If you cant fix it with this then its not broke.
Old     (hunterw)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-28-2009, 7:36 PM Reply   
It never hurts to throw a first aid kit and gloves in there somewhere. Its just as crucial as tools.I hope to never use it but if you never have one someone will end up needing it. Had a guy cut his hand open really bad cutting a rope off his prop and the cut ended up being deep enough for some stitches.
Old     (gotair)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-28-2009, 8:24 PM Reply   
I carry about a 6 foot of hose to breathe through, so if a rope does get in the prop, you don't have to swim up a get a fresh breathe. Fat sac hose would work in a pinch...I probably carry to much, but I could pretty much tear the boat apart and put it back together. Screwdrivers, volt meter, wrenchs, sockets, screw driver, filter wrench. I get something called water weld, it's like an epoxy type glue/adhesive. I have used it to plug a hole in a friends hose, ran all day. (lots of uses for it on the boat).
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-29-2009, 7:18 AM Reply   
Duct tape is nice but plastic zip ties are even better in many cases.

I also keep an extra key for the boat and the TOW VEHICLE in my toolbox.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-29-2009, 8:14 AM Reply   
I keep one of those portable jump starters. Everyone with a big stereo should have one. Even with three batteries and a perko switch, I have needed it.

Paul, good advice on the extra key for the tow vehicle. I could have used that a few months ago when the key to the tow vehicle ended up on the bottom of the lake. I ended up putting a floaty on my tow vehicle key chain, but I think your advice is even more helpful.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-30-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
Now that we have a lake house the only tools on my boat consist of a 9/16" racheting box/open Snap-on wrench (to take tower speakers off for going into the boathouse) and a Rainbow fin small mulibit racheting screwdriver for tighening bindings etc.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-30-2009, 8:08 AM Reply   
I know that it is not tools, but I keep a 1st aid kit I picked up at local drug store
Old    shooter_08            09-30-2009, 9:37 AM Reply   
I personally dont like those personal jump starters. I had one in my truck and found you need to plug them in every so often or they go bad. They are more hassle and more expensive than a simple set of cables. They also take up a lot more space.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-30-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
not too many people packin' a multimeter. I think that's a big one. Last time out it saved my day(s), by tracing an intermitent connection problem at the battery. I had a spare battery cable terminal, quick change, back on the water.

I also keep a separate lug wrench in the boat for the trailer wheels. It would suck to find out that the lug wrench in the tow vehicle is one size bigger than the lugs on the trailer tire....while on the side of the road, with trucks whippin' by, at 105 degrees, with the family in the truck asking "are we almost there yet?"
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-30-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
nearly all of the above

plus a roll of velcro and a pair of scissors
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-30-2009, 11:59 AM Reply   
A flask of Jack Daniels and a power bar.