Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (heath)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-10-2009, 9:24 PM Reply   
I am at a loss with regard to a shattered windshield on my boat. Two weeks ago I put my 2008 Supra 22 away in my storage facility. This weekend I opened my storage facility to find the passengers side window totally shattered. The damaged did not appear to be caused by any physical impact or vandalizm.

My question is could this window shatter due to stress put on either the frame or window itself. I have heard that this is a very rare occurance but can happen and when it does the window will shatter.

Can anyone comment on this and give me advise. This is going to be a very costly repair and trying to figure out if the window manufacturer has any liability.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-10-2009, 9:29 PM Reply   
Wow, stress cracks can and do happen, but usually they are cracks. The window doesn't shatter. That's not to say it doesn't happen I guess.

Have you talked to your insurance?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-10-2009, 10:59 PM Reply   
If it shattered into pieces the size of peas or popcorn it's tempered glass like the side or rear window of a car. Tempered glass is extremely strong because it's prestressed. However that also means it shatters when it gets a tiny chip.
If a sharp edge of metal is in contact with the glass it could cause it to break at a weird time. It's unlikely to be stress from the frame but might be from some edge that is unprotected.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-11-2009, 5:34 AM Reply   
Doesn't you insurance cover this?
Old     (moombadaze)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-11-2009, 6:22 AM Reply   
Heath, I shatterd the drivers glass on my boat onetime-I was able to contact the manufacturer of the glass and have them ship it directly to me and I installed it--happened about 7yrs ago and I think the glass shipped was around $175.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-11-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
Contact Drew Huff at 510-651-8400 he will be able to point you in the right direction to get a replacement as well as answer your questions regarding stress cracks.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-11-2009, 10:58 AM Reply   
We've broken two windshields over the years. One was hit by the ski handle as it was being tossed out to the skier (duh). But the other was while the boat was sitting on the trailer, driving thru a grocery store parking lot. That tempered glass shatters into a billion pieces if it gets bound up in any way.

Any chance your mirror is on that portion of the windshield? Sometimes the bracket can put some stress on the frame.

We had a patio table shatter this winter too. Sitting in our storage unit with the boat & a bunch of chairs. Temps got below 0 a few times. But otherwise nothing touching the table. Who knows why.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-11-2009, 3:25 PM Reply   
I second the insurance question.
Old     (heath)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-11-2009, 5:11 PM Reply   
Insurance does appear to be covering this but really would have preferred to go after the manufacturer if I could find anyone who has experience spontanious shattering combustion which is the only way to describe what has happened other than stress.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-11-2009, 5:55 PM Reply   
a friend parked his 2002 Supra SSV under a carport last fall came out the next morning and windshield was shattered. No explanation.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-11-2009, 8:09 PM Reply   
had my drivers side shatter driving down the road last year.. something hit it.. 06 LSV Moomba..
Had trouble getting windshield. Dealer ordered from Moomba and they did not stock it, but had one sitting on the lot that had been out there since 06 production.. $750..