Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (linder)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-24-2009, 9:39 PM Reply   
I want to know your opinions on the differences between these two boats. I am having an on going competition between a friend of mine.
Old     (malibuboats4)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-24-2009, 9:53 PM Reply   
good lord here comes the war....

try and use teh search function though
Old     (linder)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-24-2009, 10:00 PM Reply   
There's a little war between my friend and I so I thought I would get some incite...
Old     (himain10ance)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-25-2009, 12:25 AM Reply   
Nautique better built boat. I can say that I've worked on both
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-25-2009, 7:45 AM Reply   
Scott it depends on what aspects you are comparing IMO. I prefer the wake of the xstar hands down, and the look. Just chillin in the interior I would choose the 236. Need a little bit more of a specific question
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-25-2009, 1:31 PM Reply   
Haha, you used the word "incite" instead of insight. Which is funny because of how appropriate it is for your question.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-25-2009, 2:40 PM Reply   
Open the engine compartment on both none better than Nautique for accessibly.
5 year warranty on Nautique 3 years MC.
Nautique Titan tower stainless steel rock solid.
MC aluminum shake and rattle tower.
Nautique PCM drive.
MC indmar drive.
Go with the 236!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-25-2009, 2:53 PM Reply   
I would say Michael Loves his Nautique.

I would agree, but I am a little bias when it comes to Correct Craft.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-25-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
me too, longevity, cc

but wake shape ... I’m ardently trying to weight my boat to something like Master Craft.

Master Craft could gobble a lot of CC owners if it built to the same quality
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-25-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
You are right I love my Nautique. If MC got their
act together with customer service,attitude,
price and build quality I would definitely seriously look at them again. Let me know when that happens?
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-25-2009, 3:17 PM Reply   
thats bs. Mastercrafts build quality is top notch.

That said, I liked everything about the 236 better than the xstar, and I owned a 2000 xstar. Fit finish, layout, handling, style, and yes, the wake. by far the wake.

236 has one of the sickest wakes out there, especially if you like steep poppy wakes
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-25-2009, 4:07 PM Reply   
I take that back on anybody’s quality being ‘widely’ accepted as better, or voted best, by a whopping majority (note to self:-- owner’s goggles are blinding).

I’d gladly own any of the top ten brands. Maybe Calabria or Sanger kills. I haven’t seen neither so I have no idea. And - here we go - isn’t Tige is owned by a pair of brothers (I don’t actually know) who hold themselves out as the ‘answer guys’ for their brand, which ingratiates them dearly with their owners?

That’s what I like. Producers standing up for their product not because there’s a smiley face next to the cheapest price for a product made by our world’s most suffering but because such Producers energized an American (/Canadian) workforce with a vision and pride in production:– of a highly engineered and complicated product.

(log off man. hasn’t this has all gotten too serious. do log off.)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-25-2009, 6:31 PM Reply   
I love my Nautique, and if I buy again it will be nautique.

Then again I've had an 09 Xstar to use for a winter and it was great. The wake was awesome, but I would myuch rather have a steep wake, (old 210) .... either way you'll be happen, and either way plan to add weight.

but I guess my vote would be the 236
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-25-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
The 5 year warranty on Nautiques really cannot be beat. My SANTE is an 04 and we are still under warranty as if we just got it (duh) but that makes a huge difference. They come dockside from Orlando to Tampa to work on the boat, and will tow it back to orlando if they have to then tow it back all within the warranty. We had an X-Star (01) before it and it was pretty much done in 3 years of pretty heavy use. The nautique is as good as the day we bought it, and possibly better because it the engine is completely broken into the weight. The X-Star pretty much died because of all of the weight. Now unfortunately i get the call from my dad today that he took out my aunt, uncle, and a couple friends and ran aground today and completely owned the prop which was brand new, and might have done a number on the drive shaft. All I can say is I'm glad it was him and not me because I would have gotten the standard lecture "IF YOU DIDN'T PUT ALL OF THAT F*CKING WEIGHT IN THE BOAT, NOTHING WOULD HAVE HAPPENED ETC ETC ETC..." Now he knows how fickle the water depths on the lake are.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-25-2009, 8:47 PM Reply   
sorry to keep being an ass, but an 01 xstar done after 3 years? I just sold my 00 xstar, and I weighed it down like no other. That boat was in better condition and held up better than many of my friends newer boats. I think its just who takes care of them.
Old     (linder)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-25-2009, 9:43 PM Reply   
incite=insight, sorry it was late. There are positives and negatives to both boats. I really do like the interior fit and finish in the nautique though, alot more than the mastercraft.
Old    stillstandin            04-25-2009, 10:16 PM Reply   
I know Im going to get blasted, but here goes. CC would be one of the last boats I would buy. I have a buddy who had his 210 lemoned. And this was only after a threat of lawsuit. It had numerous issues, but the build quality when you starting really looking around this boat was bad. The boat they replaced it with was not much better. He has had to adjust his windshield brackets because the hull tweeked over the past couple of years.

Blast away, but I will never buy a CC.

(Message edited by stillstandin on April 25, 2009)
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-25-2009, 10:30 PM Reply   
^what were the issues with build quality? Not calling you out, just curious.
Old    stillstandin            04-25-2009, 10:37 PM Reply   
Gel coat problems, lots of different screws backing out. Even the screws in the dash area were different colors. All around poor craftsmenship. I would have to call him and get all the details, it was about 6 years ago now. But nobody we know will buy a CC after the experiences with his boats. It was nuts.

Before I get blasted to bad for putting down one of the "big 3". If you have never had a problem, great. Every now and again I will share his experience if somebody asks, and I always got PM's saying how stupid I must be. Just stating the facts.

FWIW, if price were not problem, I would personally would go

Malibu LSV, or VLX.
MC X15, or X30 (still not a fan of the pickefork)
Sanger V237
MB V23
Supra 22, or 24V
Calabria Pro V

and at my bottom would be Centurian, Moomba (if price were a problem, I would happily own a Moomba), and CC.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-26-2009, 2:59 PM Reply   
Craig A
What boat do you own?
I find it hard to believe that your friend got
two bad CC boats in a row?
All the posts I read on all the different forums speak very highly of CC. Just looking at the responses to this thread its overwhelmingly pro CC. 7 JD Powers awards in a row! You don't get them building bad boats.
What I see is one CC owner with consecutive boat
problems [nothing he did] just badly built boats?
What brand does your friend have now?
Is that brand trouble free?
If any of this is true your friend must be the unluckiest person in the world to get the only two bad CCs in a group of thousands of loyal and very satisfied CC owners. Or are you saying all CCs are junk in your opinion?
Old    stillstandin            04-26-2009, 10:10 PM Reply   
Then he must have very bad luck. This is my only experience with CC is the two boats he has had. These were both the old 210's. I have no experience with the new style CC's for two reasons. 1, my buddies experience, and what I saw. Also the way he was treated. Two, I think the interior layout is hideous. He now owns a Malibu VLX. Night and day difference with fit/finish and build quality compared with what I saw.

Now the second boat he had did not have the fit and finish issues he had. I do remember going through a double up and having his speedometer pop out of the dash, that kind of stuff. But the second boat, the boat hull tweaked over a couple year period. That is unacceptable. JD Power means absolutely nothing to me.

I have a Sanger V215. Everytime I tell people this story, they react the same way Michael does. I will call and see if I can get some pic's for you guys. This entire incident was very well documented. None of the guys I ride with spend much time on wakeworld. But there is a entire group of us that always tell people to stay clear of CC.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-27-2009, 5:57 AM Reply   
I'm sorry your friend had a bad experience with CC
It sounds like the dealer had a lot to do with it. A poor dealer can ruin your opinion of any brand. They layout of the newer CCs are quite different than the older boats. JD Powers surveys
past owners for service and quality issues.
Bu and MC build fine boats as you know mt bias is
CC. I don't know anything about Stanger there are no dealers near me.
Old     (xmarksthespot)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-27-2009, 5:05 PM Reply   
whole family has owned MC's since before i was born...Put on about a total of probably 2500 hours on two or three buddies MC's boats since i was able to drive them...Love them...great customer sevice...and IMO...the old X-star hull (X-1 now), Cannot be beat with the wake..Never Met a SAN2001 owner that has said other wise ...but in the same sentene..i love the nautiques and Malibus and would never dog em! they all got their Pros...And Con's...Let the BSing Continue!!!
Old     (linder)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-27-2009, 7:07 PM Reply   
I couldn't agree more with you Kris
Old     (wakelatx)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-27-2009, 7:50 PM Reply   
They're both nice boats, I just love the set up and the stock wake of the 230 of course it gets nicer with weight but sometimes I don't have time to fill extra sacks so having a good stock wake is a plus.
If you ever plan on wakesurfing the 230 also has a much nicer wake than the xstar for surfing.
I also enjoy all the detail in the interior, the rear facing seats the walk through that can be a sun pad the swim platfrom cooler, etc...

Either way you'll have an awesome boat, just thought I'd share the things I enjoy.
Old     (wakecourage)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-28-2009, 6:35 AM Reply   
Both are great boats! But the Xstar wins hands down on wake and style in my opinion
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-28-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
The 236 porpoises and the dash is velcroed on. CC uses felt in compartments instead of carpet. The windshield supports are aluminum with plastic ends vs. solid SS on the MC. The new S shaped tower is built in China. Plastic dash and throttle knob vs Billet aluminum in MC. The list can go on and on. Older CCs (Meloon built) were much better quality than the newer ones.
To say CC is way superior in quality over MC is just not true.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-28-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
The war is on WOOT WOOT!

BTW, I bet my dad is bigger than your dad.
Old     (bhog)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-28-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
Both Boats are top notch. I own an old super air. My buddy has a Master Craft. I love both boats. The 236 is a much bigger boat than the X star so not apples to apples. I have to say there is nothing like a Xstar LOADED. The Nauty you wont have to dump as much. I really could careless about interior or how boats look. Boats to me are wake TRACTORS. Omly build for work.
Old     (wakelatx)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-28-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
Well Billy if you want to go that direction,
X-star bow submarines
The bow seats don't fit
The mastercraft trailers are cheap (saw the axle fall off a 2008 PWT xstar)
The tower rattles so much you have to get upgraded braces (but hey it's not made in china, plus it just allows us to make more things in america, extra braces have to create jobs for a few more people)
I'm really concerned about my throttle knob being plastic and to think that for an just an extra $20k I could have upgraded to a billet knob on an x-star, and gotten the 2 in 1 submarine and boat option thrown in for free.
If theres more than 15mph winds boards have a tendency to fly out the clamps.
Should we even try to compare stock wakeboard wakes or would that embarass you?
I'll give you that with an added 3k lbs the xstar has a nice wake but so does the nautique.
As for a surf wake, it's non-existent no matter what kind of weight you put in it.

Hope your satisfied Billy
Old     (ncsumalibu)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-28-2009, 2:05 PM Reply   
Yeah well malibu is better than them both! (stirs pot)
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-28-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
6yr winner Riders Choice Award. I only could vote once, so I guess I'm not alone in thinking the XStar is better.
Bungee cords on the racks? nice.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-28-2009, 2:44 PM Reply   
Wow surprise, surprise, Billy bashing Correct Craft, it just took a little longer then normal.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-28-2009, 3:09 PM Reply   
This is awesome!!! I think who can ever come up with the best dirt on each company wins!!

I have an X-Star and I love it, but I think the CC's are very nice as well. I've had the privilege to ride behind both. They are both good, IMO
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-28-2009, 4:00 PM Reply   

quote:

By Craig A. (stillstandin) on Saturday, April 25, 2009 - 10:16 pm:

I know Im going to get blasted, but here goes. CC would be one of the last boats I would buy. I have a buddy who had his 210 lemoned. And this was only after a threat of lawsuit. It had numerous issues, but the build quality when you starting really looking around this boat was bad. The boat they replaced it with was not much better. He has had to adjust his windshield brackets because the hull tweeked over the past couple of years.

Blast away, but I will never buy a CC.

(Message edited by stillstandin on April 25, 2009)

I just thought I would point out that at least part of this story is untrue. Boats can not be "lemoned" since the lemon law only applies to automobiles.

This story is a testament to CC though. In their warranty they never state that they will replace your boat, just that it will be repaired. Based on this story CC eventually stepped up and went beyond their legal liability. Almost all manufacturers warranties are easily defeated by the manufacturer by the abuse and negligence clauses that they all have.

I wonder what MC would do in a case where a guys hull had a couple hundred cracks in it... hmmmm...

I would hate to have to adjust my windshield brackets...
Old     (ryan11)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-28-2009, 6:31 PM Reply   
i love cc but lets all come back to earth x star the best boat out there everybody knows it some are just afraid to admit it .
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-28-2009, 6:54 PM Reply   
wes umland
Say What? What planet are you from? You must be talking about some star x in another galaxy.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-28-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
Wah, the problem is that most of your stuff is just one case or opinion were as everything Billy said is fact except maybe the porpoising part and for all I know that may be true as well.

Also The Xstar might look like it is going to take water over the bow but in most cases I have seen it does not take it over as easy as a tradition v bow because the wave pushes the whole bow up whereas a vbow just cuts through the wake. Also Every xstar I have seen the seats fit just like they should. I also wouldn't say the MC trailers are cheap at all. A defect in the build process that could happen to any trailer manufacturer. I will give you the tower rattling thing but the star doesn't do it as much as it has thicker tubing than the other models. Not sure what you are talking about with the board racks. We carry 4 boards all the time in my buddies X45 and cruise up the lake at 40 mph and have never had one fly out.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-28-2009, 8:17 PM Reply   
we sunk a brand new xstar at waketoberfest by taking water over the bow.
Old     (highrock)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-28-2009, 8:28 PM Reply   
I would go with the 236. Better stock wake, and most riders dont need that extra 3000 lbs. Seating the nautiques cant be beat and quality is top notch. Nothing bad to say about the x star. your in a good situation having to make this decision.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-28-2009, 9:04 PM Reply   
I Change my mind. xstar hands down. its the only hard core boat out there.
Old     (wakeitnofakeit)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-28-2009, 11:15 PM Reply   
Wow this is great Mastercraft and CC fighting over second place. The winner takes on wakecraft for the title. Good Luck you two.

p.s. Lol
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-29-2009, 5:39 AM Reply   
I changed my mind too I want a boat I can sink?
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-29-2009, 6:20 AM Reply   
Jeff not bashing, I'm defending. What did I say that was not true vs. what the people on here are saying about MC?
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-29-2009, 8:02 AM Reply   
I am a CC guy but I will back Billy on the bungee straps on the racks. I'd love to have clamping racks on my 210. The bungees are a pain in the ass. It was nice they modified the top fork on the 09s so it can hold a skate or surfer now.

If they could keep the size and look of the CC spinner but make it presurre clamp like the MC rack, we'd have a real winner.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-29-2009, 3:28 PM Reply   
I cant believe it took this long for wakecraft to come up.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-29-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
Tige 24Ve with ballast. Seriously from a MC owner all these boats are built extremely well. There are and will be occasional boats that get out that are CRAP same things with cars. I will say after crawling all over a lot of boats the boat industry is not even close to quality build that you see in cars of these boats caliber. I would say for all the bragging these manufacturers do they all half ass some stuff that seems ridiculous.
Old     (saltare_inverts)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-29-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
Well lets see, Mastercraft is shut down for 9 weeks right now. No production at all. CC and Supra still going strong. I had a CC. Awesome strong boat. I know own a Supra. Will never have MC. I understand fork bow is roomy. But it is ugly and will be a sore looking boat in 10 years.