Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (surfer_ryan223)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-17-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
Has anybody ever had any trouble getting your boat back on your trailer with a supra. I have a 04 supra ssv G.G and there is only one ramp that will allow my boat back onto the trailer out of like 5 in my area. For some reason the boat always goes right below the boat buddy is there anybody out there that has ever had that problem, if so what did you do to fix it?

thanks in advance
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-17-2006, 5:15 PM Reply   
you may be backing in to deep, try backing in a little less. Your boat should incline slightly and be somewhat stiff when on fully.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-17-2006, 5:26 PM Reply   
Yup, It sounds like you might be backing the trailer in too far. I used to make the same mistake constantly until someone pointed it out to me. After that the nose always came in at the perfect heigth.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-17-2006, 5:44 PM Reply   
Try with both fenders barely under the water or like 1 inch out of the water...
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-17-2006, 5:55 PM Reply   
I never liked the boat buddy system. I actually rarely hook the bow hook on my boat but I live dangerously.

Just put it on the trailer behind the boat buddy and pull it out of the water. Once you are on land tap the brakes a few times and it should slide right up into the catch.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-17-2006, 6:53 PM Reply   
Ryan, I have an 04 SSV , I have the same issue. the supra bow just "sits" lower. I've tried a hundred differnt ways of tryign to load the boat....some ramps are "more friendly" to loading these boats than others. As far as I know there is no fix. my neighborhood ramp is liek that and I dred having to put my boat on the trailer. The best way I've foudn to do it is back the trailer down as far as you can ( my guides somtimes float off. attach your wich line and slowly crank while yoru driver pulls forward...you haev a few second window to slide the boat up onthe bow stop. click the boat buddy and have the driver pull out very slowly.
Old     (surfer_ryan223)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-17-2006, 8:18 PM Reply   
thanks for the help, is it better to have a steeper or more flat ramp for the supra trailers to load the boat.
Old    ausbill32            04-17-2006, 8:19 PM Reply   
When you load the boat try having one or two people stand on the swim platform or at the back of the boat. That should raise the nose up
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-17-2006, 8:36 PM Reply   
It's usually more of a problem when the ramp is too steep. The boat and trailer need to be on a closer plane than a steep ramp will allow. I have an 04 SSV and I've been having the problem because our lake is really low. I usually back the trailer normally (so about 2/3's of the bunks are submerged) - then bring the boat in slow, connect the strap and wind it till the nose is right next to the boat buddy, then pull the truck up a little bit and crank the strap in the rest of the way. Hope this helps.
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-17-2006, 9:04 PM Reply   
I have the same issue with my Moomba on steep ramps. I have to wind up the boat so the nose is right at the boat buddy, then I have to pull my vehicle up a foot or so to get the bow higher and crank it till it's on top ( which stresses the hell out of the crank). Then I have to back it down again to finish the job. As far as I'm concerned it is a horrible trailer design by Boat Mate trailers.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-18-2006, 7:13 AM Reply   
I too have a 2004 SSV and have the same problem with one ramp in particular. The other ramps I typically use I have no problems with.

What I have found to work the best for steep ramps is to back the trailer in as you normally would. The key is to keep your rear ballast sacs somewhat full while having the front sac empty. This will cause the bow to lift a little and you should have no trouble with the bow going under the boat buddy.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-18-2006, 7:45 AM Reply   
Don't be scared to drive up your bunks. You should be completely on your bunks when you drive up to the pin. If you are on your bunks it is impossible not to hit it properly each time.
-On a steeper launch don't back your trailer in as deep as you would on a gentle launch. Once you get used to your launch's and how to use the boat buddy it will be the best thing since sliced bread. If you use it improperly it can be a huge headache. Just remember that if your boat is on the bunks (meaning touching all the bunks including front, back and sides) then it will hit right on every time. If it is a steep launch then the transom of your boat is still floating and you will always go under the pin. Make sense??
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-18-2006, 7:53 AM Reply   
Diggs has it right. People back too far in on steeper ramps and only the nose of the boat rests on the bunks causing everything to be off. I watch most poeple at the ramps bury their fenders a good 4+ inches. I too have an 04 GG SSV and had the same problems the first few weeks of ownership. Went so far as to have the trailer altered a bit. Now I just have driver back the trailer almost all the way in to fully wet all the bunks and pull out to where the fenders are about 2 inches out of the water. Just drive the boat up the trailer and you're good to go.

I must admit though, it was tricky at first.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-18-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
Good point Stanfield. Wetting the bunks first will be much easier on them when you power up to the pin.

Plain and simple if you're nose is under your hitch buddy, your trailer is in the water too far.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-18-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
I'm having issue with my boat buddy pin closeing when putting my boat on the trailer...mine sticks. It's in the "set" position but won't release when cliked by the boat bow ring(?)
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-18-2006, 8:26 AM Reply   
Adam,
That happened on my last one. Take a close look and I bet you bent the pin. You might need to tweak it or go get a new boat buddy. Not too expensive. I never replaced mine, I just would throttle it up to the pin and leave it in gear and then crawl up and manually close the pin and then let off the throttle and turn it off and have it pulled up.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-18-2006, 8:27 AM Reply   
Bent? If not, try some lubricant on the pin.
Old     (surfer_ryan223)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-18-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
Ok so how does this sound, tell me if i am missing anything yall said, when i am going to load the boat back my trailer in to the water to where my bunks all get in the water, then pull out to where my fenders show only about 1 or 2 inch. when driving to the trailer leave some weight in the back sacks to make the nose a bit higher, and just drive right up to the trailer. Also if my boat is on all the bunks it should be impossible to not hit right on each time. Is that all right?????
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-18-2006, 9:45 PM Reply   
THere is really no need to put weight in the back of the boat. If you are going under the the boat buddy it is just plain and simply pulling the trailer out of the water more. Just remember if you are on the bunks at the front and back it will always shoot right in. Just pay attention to your fender depths when it works right and remember that for the next time you launch on that ramp. It does not hurt to drive on your bunks. Just don't hammer it through your boat buddy. You will get used to it. It is good you are asking the questions though. THe people that don't ask the questions never get them right and end up hating them. Use it right and you will love it!!! Good luck