Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old    wakeboardmarktwain            08-11-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
I'm wanting to know if anybody else out there is having crappy weather this year. Here in Missouri it never seemed to warm up decent until mid June, but then of course it was flooding something crazy. It's been raining pretty much non-stop. Now it's August, and normally we're talking high 80's into the 90's, but it's just getting into the low 80's (80,81,82). And it's getting into the low 60', or high 50's at night. Between that all the rain the water temp is dropping fast, not to mention it never got warm to begin with. Anyone else around the area agree with that?
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-11-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
Similar here in VA. Must be due to Global Warming
Old     (nickbot)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-11-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
michigan is same also...
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-11-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
Same in OH, and if weather is nice, there'll be high winds
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-11-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
Sorry, its been sunny in Cali for 5 months straight. I don't think we have had rain since early April. We have lots of fires and smoky air though if it makes you feel any better
Old     (rmaloney)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-11-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
Same here in IL but a little colder than you mention.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-11-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
I welcome it (the colder weather), keeps people away, and sends them in for the season earlier.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-11-2008, 9:58 AM Reply   
Minnesota was crappy til mid June. but from the second half a June through now has been pretty nice. it's been really sunny, mid to upper 80's, and really no rain at all (here in the cities at least). we actually need the rain really bad!
Old     (charman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-11-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
perfect weather here in AL
Old     (silverwake)      Join Date: May 2007       08-11-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
I agree with everything you've said Justin. I've only been on Mark Twain once this season and there was a ton of debris. Let's just hope the warm weather will stick around longer than normal.
How often do you go to Mark Twain? Have you been on it since they've re-opened it?
Old     (jmann)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-11-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
Michigan was horrible this weekend. I don't think it even reached 70 and there was a 15mph wind all weekend too, which makes for some horrible water!
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-11-2008, 12:10 PM Reply   
Water Temp at Bull Shoals is in the low 90s. My lake is mid 70s right now. I'm on board with A-Dub, let it cool off.

(Message edited by jmuthafnp on August 11, 2008)
Old     (andyrage1)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-11-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
I don't mind if it's cold but it doesn't stop raining in New York. :-(
Old    wakeboardmarktwain            08-11-2008, 2:17 PM Reply   
Don, we normally try and hit Mark Twain at least once a week, mainly during the week. Last year we would probably go twice a week. This year, I think we've been 6 or 7 times total. Went last Friday night and had awesome water. There was still a few big limbs floating, but all the small stuff was gone. Then we went last night, and most all of the debris was gone but the wind was rolling through choppin up the water. Do you head down to Mark Twain very often? We're always looking for other boarders.

Everybody else -

We're all seriously considering wetsuits to try and drag the season out a little longer. Anybody have an suggestions on a good one?
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       08-11-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
Justin, IMO avoid a wetsuit and buy a drysuit, especially in this climate. I think a wetsuit is a waste of money. I go until it's too cold and put the drysuit on, the opposite in the spring.

On the original topic, we went out to Kinkaid yesterday in S. Illinois, and it was 84, but not much wind so it was a perfect day.
Old     (silverwake)      Join Date: May 2007       08-12-2008, 6:41 AM Reply   
Justin, I don't get to Mark Twain as much as I'd like especially this year. I'm going to try to get up there at least once more in August. Send me an e-mail sometime and I'll try to let you know the next time I'm headed up (don@classicmarinellc.com)
Do you ride with a lot of other folks? I only know a couple people that board on Mark Twain, but if there are enough riders in that area, I was thinking about bringing one of Centurion's pro riders in to do a clinic next year (most likely a wakeboarder but maybe a wakesurfer depending on interest/availability/etc.)
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-12-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
Justin, if you can go to a shop and try as many wetsuits on as possible, and choose the one that fits you best. I did this (luckily at Performance so there was a huge selection), and my full suit fits so perfect that I sometimes come out dry. I don't understand it, but it happens. if you can't, whiskey militia has had 4/3 fulls on, and those will keep you plenty warm. We went until end Nov-beg Dec last year in Central Indiana, just with fulls.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-12-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
texas has been 100+ for almost 2 months. unfortunatly, we have had a constant 20mph wind the entire time :-(
Old     (cbass)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-12-2008, 8:45 AM Reply   
Ya Justin I feel ya. I was out the first part of the summer to some stitches so I just started riding and then the weather turns crappy. We were down at Table Rock this past weekend and it was cold and rainy. Hopefully we will get a little better weather.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-12-2008, 3:31 PM Reply   
North East Tennessee is the same way....we had a good week about 2-3 weeks ago in the 90's and it snapped and went to low 80's and nights are 58-60's. This summer really hasnt been too impressive and not really hot...rain all the time and every storm wraps around us again because of how the lake is situated in the valley...I'm hoping we will get another month of riding before they drop the lake again...took till June to come up...sigh..
Old     (kyle_neumann)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-12-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
Dan- i have no clue wat ur talking about.. the weather in VA has been great for riding. especially the water temp.. but im at Lake Anna.. so idk where ur at..
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-12-2008, 5:44 PM Reply   
We've had good weather here in NJ, most everyday is 80 or better with a few heat waves above 90. It just got cooler within the last few days, upper 70's with nights in the 60's. Here's the water temps where we ride.

http://www.delawareriver.net/temp.php

Kyle N, I hope to hit Anna once in september if I can to do some foiling.
Old     (jinxton)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-12-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
100 plus here in Vegas, all you guy's with cooler weather can have this stuff, along with humidity we've had recently makes it miserable to go out to the lake.

I can't wait until fall!!!
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-12-2008, 7:54 PM Reply   
We've had a 80 year old rain record for june, july and august break here in Toronto...

almost 40cm or about a foot and a half of rain!!!

Plus we are well below seasonal levels... water temps are about 10 degrees cooler than normal for this time of year!
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-12-2008, 8:17 PM Reply   
About 2 weeks ago we had a massive storm follow a few smaller ones through and combined with huge tides that hit most of the country with floods (and one state of emergency). There's been lot of snow falling though, so the mountains are having their best seasons in like 10 years. The water is really cold too, but it is the end of Winter here so I guess that's to be expected. At least it isn't frozen.
Old     (bvanhemmen)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-12-2008, 8:41 PM Reply   
Like said above, 30 something of the last 70 days it has rained. And not just a quick mist, we are talking full rain. We have already beaten our record precipitation for the year.
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-13-2008, 3:45 AM Reply   
Winter here in NZ...cold and wet!! A pic of our lake taken today, crowded as usual
Upload
Old    wakeboardmarktwain            08-13-2008, 7:39 AM Reply   
Don - There are five of us that go on a pretty regular basis. However there's always others out boarding as well, mainly on the weekends though. I do know of a few guys around here that go down on the Mississippi as well.
Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-13-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
I ride with Justin. Sup all you other midwest boarders! We have been jilted this year when it comes to # of lake visits. On the bright side if you head to Mark twain on a weekday the place is a desert and you can count the number of other boaters on one hand. Toward the evening the lake flatens out and the ride is perfect. Don, I saw a black and orange/yellow centurion out here earlier this year may have been you. We rarely see actual wakeboard boats so its easy to remember the ones we see. But there are more people bustin out boards every year, def better than more people bustin out tubes.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-13-2008, 11:57 AM Reply   
if by bad you mean 100 and no wind and hundreds of miles of butta....

yea our weather sux
Old     (silverwake)      Join Date: May 2007       08-13-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
Hey Joe, Good to finally see some Mark Twain riders on here. I think I know the boat you're thinking of but that wasn't me. My Enzo was mostly black with the metallic green tribal (I say was because I sold it earlier this week). There's actually a picture of it on a billboard in Moscow Mills. I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to get up to Mark Twain again (it's about an hour and a half away from my dealership and about two hours from my home). If you and Justin would e-mail me though when you guys are planning on going out, I'd love to meet up with some other Mark Twain riders (I still have an Avalanche at the shop that I think I should take out on a test run ;) Me e-mail's higher up in the thread.
Old     (mattjj23)      Join Date: May 2008       08-13-2008, 6:03 PM Reply   
Yeah, its going to get to 104 this weekend here with no wind:-) and Im going to be at Lake Billy chinook. Its a rough life.....
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-13-2008, 6:13 PM Reply   
Bevan, how'd you get a shot of the lake so still with those Southerlies ripping through? Maybe they've been dodging your place?
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-14-2008, 4:38 AM Reply   
Jos..Been past the lake a couple times this week and each time it's been butter! Still too cold to ride tho....roll on spring ay!