Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-08-2008, 6:12 AM Reply   
Hey guys I am getting ready to add some weight to my 07 LSV. Not a huge amount probably around 600 lbs or maybe up to 800 eventually. I know that Malibu says not to put over 75 lbs on top of the rear tanks that under the floor. I am getting some 18" pieces of the railroad track and coating it with spray on bedliner. Each piece of track should weigh 150 - 200lbs. I was hoping to put one piece in each rear compartment but do not want to hurt my boat in anyway. Will it be a problem putting this in the rear compartment? If not, where would be the safest place in the compartment to position the track? I am also going to have some lead bags that I plan on positioning under some of the seats around midship and maybe a couple more pieces of track (depending on the weight of the track). Where are safe places to put this weight?

Any insight or help you guys can give on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-08-2008, 6:16 AM Reply   
I wouldn't put that railraod iron in your boat. First of all the load it would is to concentrated in a small area. That iron wouldn't be very stable either. You need something that is lighter that you can spread around more. Lead bags is a better option if you're set on it. I wouldn't tow my boat around on the streets with that extra weight in it for several reasons.

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on February 08, 2008)
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-08-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
We have rethought the railroad iron and are now cutting it in smaller pieces to make it easier to stow and move. Also it does not weigh as much as we originally thought. A one foot piece probably weighs about 45 lbs. I live on a lake so I only tow my boat about a block to the boat ramp. If I was to ever have to take it somewhere, I would remove the weight.

(Message edited by whitlecj on February 08, 2008)
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-08-2008, 11:37 AM Reply   
On my 04 that I had I put 100lbs on each side of boat next to drivers seat and then across on passenger side, then 200lbs each side in rear. I did not have the floor ballast, but I have friends that have the floor ballast and spread the weight as to not have it concentrated on one spot and they haven't had any problems. Not to say that you won't, but they haven't. As far as towing goes, I don't think 600lbs will be a problem depending on what your towing with. I never took mine out and always trailered the boat as far as 450 miles for trips. My truck is very strong though and has an exhaust brake as well as trailer brakes on both axles. Check the load rate for your trailer, the boat should be around 4000lbs without equipment, gas, etc... Some may disagree with the towing, but I can assure you it was safe. Probably 10,000 miles that way. I towed my friends 07 LSV to shasta last summer, and on the way home decided to weigh his boat and trailer, 8900 lbs, that was probably too much!!! Hope that helps.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-08-2008, 11:42 AM Reply   
I have a friend that fills full sized bags on top of his tanks. So far so good.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-08-2008, 12:41 PM Reply   
I put 2 400# fat sacs on top of my in floor ballast tanks (after it's full)in the rear lockers and have never had a problem either.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-08-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
We use full sized bags on top of the tanks too. No issues as long as you fill the factory hard tanks first. 440lb sac in each v-drive compartment.
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-08-2008, 6:33 PM Reply   
Chris/Badknees - 8900lbs!!!! How much lead did he have in that boat?
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-08-2008, 6:44 PM Reply   
Probably had his rear axle on the scale as well

(Message edited by 05mobiuslsv on February 08, 2008)
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-08-2008, 7:34 PM Reply   
Too much!!!! We had the boat loaded with wakeboards and such, but I think around 2k in lead or so. It was full!!!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-08-2008, 7:42 PM Reply   
2K in lead, that is rediculously dangerous.
Old     (badknees)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-08-2008, 8:27 PM Reply   
Yeah, in a malibu your probably right!!! HAHAHA Just Kidding!!! Not what I would do... Fortunately I weighed it after the trip, about 15 min from home. However the trailer handled it great, and as far as the truck stopping it, that was no problem...Like I said not my boat.