Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-08-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
What a disapointment! I have worked the boat shows years in the past, and have probably attended for the past 10 years and I remember 10 years ago the show was only on 1 level. If you were wondering what the economy is like in the boating industry this was a true testament to how much every company is hurting!! Was CWB even there??? I walked through the show twice and didn't see them or Supra boats. (I could have been a little tipsy) Sports LTD as always had a big showing, but overall I was very bummed out. I did speak with the VP of Malibu for a while and I think the Axis line will keep them above water, but my question is where does everyone see the industry in three years? Who will survive? Anyone else go to the show? What are your thoughts?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-08-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
It costs a lot of money to have one of those booths and after last years dismal sales and attendance it may have been hard to fork over that kind of dough to lose money. The manufacturers (ie. CWB and Supra) don't do the boat show, it's a dealer that pays and staffs it. With times tough everyone is cinching up their belt and cutting costs. Want to make sure they see next years show.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-08-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
I went yesterday... I thought the same thing. I was very disappointed. You would think that in one of the largest economy's in the world (california), companies would make it a point to showcase their products. I didn't see supra/moomba, any 09 centurions or CWB.
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-08-2009, 10:29 AM Reply   
Stephan I understand what you are saying, bit where are the shops supporting cwb?? And Yes I agree it does cost a butt load of money to have a display. However, SHAM-WOW, Jerky hut and other low budget companies still had booths their. I think 5K is the lowest price for a spot and you could make that up or at least most of it in sales there. I really wanted to see the new transend.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-08-2009, 10:41 AM Reply   
Same here. I was very disappointed. You pretty much covered what I was going to say. Probably 2/3 the size of previous years. It was good to see everyone there anyway (Wakesports, DBG, Nick, Malibu, Epic, Ian, etc). Made it out of there for under $100 out of my pocket. Not bad.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-08-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
5k + staff + other expenses. Usually they need to bring in extra sales people, put them up in a hotel and feed them. There are a lot more expenses than just the venue. That is on top of keeping your normal shop open and staffed. Most years they can pay for that stuf, not every year. It takes quite a few board sales to break even especially when no one is buying.

Come ride with us and you can try my Transcend! It's bitchin.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-08-2009, 6:43 PM Reply   
I just got back myself and I was also blown away at how small the show was. I would say that it was about 60% of the size it was last year. I'm pretty sure every company was in a smaller booth and many companies weren't their at all. Centurion was there. Watersports Warehouse is usually the CWB rep and they were missing. The Supra/Moomba dealer that has been at the L.A. show for years has gone out of business from I was told. It's a real shame!

However, on the bright side, both the shops that were there (Wakesports Unlimited and Sports LTD) were quite surprised at how well they did these first two days of the show. One of them even told me that they feel good about the way the economy is coming around.

I bought a cooler. :-)
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-08-2009, 7:40 PM Reply   
Any show is better than no show like up here in the bay area!
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-08-2009, 8:14 PM Reply   
did you get that sweet can cozy that you can stick on anything!!! I bought one of those..
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-08-2009, 9:30 PM Reply   
bummer. I was planning on going next weekend and was really looking forward to it :-(
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-08-2009, 9:47 PM Reply   
No, I picked up a 24-can American Outdoors cooler. I've been looking for a good soft-sided boat cooler since my Polar Bear Cooler broke for the third time. These coolers look similar, but the top is cut differently, so it looks like it will stress the zipper less. They also offer to replace the liner and/or zipper for as long as I have the cooler and that's much better than the one-year warranty on the Polar Bears. I'll let you know how it performs this summer!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-08-2009, 9:52 PM Reply   
It was also cool seeing all the security and limos for the Grammys at the Staples Center next door. I don't think I've ever seen so many cops, body armor and ammo in my life!
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       02-08-2009, 10:39 PM Reply   
Spin
Several boat dealers and boardshops have gone out of business in my area alone. Not having a booth at the boat show this year may be a sound business decision I can respect. It sucks for all.
Between Stephan, Brandon and myself, I'm sure we can get a new Transcend to demo. That goes for anyone else wishing to try any CWB gear. We may even be able to set up a CWB demo day at a private lake near Bakersfield when the weather turns this spring. Look for the post.
Old     (ridinonair)      Join Date: Jun 2008       02-11-2009, 11:33 AM Reply   
Chuck- you know I'll be down for a "private lake" demo, Hows things been in Bako?