Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old    robertt            04-24-2005, 11:41 AM Reply   
Deal is, I just moved onto a lake, so I can get out every day (looking at the boat on the lift right now). Thats the good news.

The bad news is that I have no idea what to buy for wakeboarding. I have an airchair that I just bought and learned to use…but that’s about it. I have never skied or wakeboarded.

My friends bought me a board last year that I have not tried yet…its REALLY hard to get my feet into the bindings. It is a CWB or something like that with XL bindings from Galyans. I hate those stores by the way.

So the deal is that I don’t want to make typical newbie mistakes and buy crap gear that I want to dump immediately.

I want gear for me and my son who is 11.

Whats the best way to go for a junior on the cheap. If he gets into it…I don’t mind getting him a great setup but for now why blow the money…right? At least for his first season?

I am 6’5”, 245lbs, and size 13/14 feet. Pretty athletic, I will get it quick.

The current boat is a Chaparral 183 with a 4.3 and a monster tower that I just put on. Next year…if I get into wakeboarding or skiing, I will buy an X7 or a CC 206 but this will do for now.

Should I stay with the current board? I think it is 147cm? Ebay? Etc.

Should we all start with standard skis? Any good videos (dvd’s) or websites that can help us get the basics down to start? If you have a burner or want to sell one used email me at robertt@parkway-inc.com and maybe we can work something out.

Any and all advice will be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-24-2005, 2:04 PM Reply   
grizzly-sports.com has great prices on HL gear. RV is VERY good to work with and has hooked up more than his fair share of people on this forum. Check on the grizzly den for some steals...but call, listed prices always seem to be higher than RV lets the stuff go for.

Anyway, that is a good start. Oh yea....and don't waste your money at Galyans.... Same size feet as me, you'll want XX-L bindings.

E.J.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-24-2005, 2:08 PM Reply   
Just re-read your post and see that you were not considering Galyan's, someone bought you stuff from there...

Also, there are other options besides HL gear, I just know that the deals from Grizzly-Sports are hard to beat if you choose to go with Hyperlite.

E.J.
Old    drewsky24            04-24-2005, 3:56 PM Reply   
I don't think there is a board that you and your 11 year old will be able to share comfortably unless he weighs 200lbs.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-24-2005, 4:58 PM Reply   
as far as boards, I would suggest a Hyperlite State 145 with State bindings. Its a good setup to learn on but it will never hold you back.
But really the size differance is too great to have a board that comfortably fits you and your son. He could get up and ride on the 145 but after that he'll need something smaller.
Old    drewsky24            04-24-2005, 5:11 PM Reply   
Thats what im doing, I learned how to get up on my Parks 143, but now that Im attempting tricks it;s holding me back.
Old    robertt            04-24-2005, 6:58 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone.

I never thought that my 11 year old and I could share a board....I know we both need our own as we are just a little bit different size

Also, is buying a spectra rope worth it, and if so how long. I really dont mind spending a few bucks if its worth it....after all you can justify alot more if you live on a lake and can use the stuff every day.

What about sites or videos to get started on a board?
Old    drewsky24            04-24-2005, 7:14 PM Reply   
A spectra rope is almost a must. You should get Straighline if you can . If you go to boardstop.com and type in: forumuser in the coupon section you get 10% off.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-24-2005, 7:18 PM Reply   
yes, a spectra rope is necessary, but why should he get a straightline?

robert, check out the package deals at boardstop.com.
Old    drewsky24            04-24-2005, 7:29 PM Reply   
It's just a suggestion based on a personal opinion.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-24-2005, 7:30 PM Reply   
ok, but what makes it better than others for you to suggest it?
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-24-2005, 8:20 PM Reply   
spectra rope? Definite Yes Accurate
Straightline
Proline
Hardline
Masterline
...they're all good ropes.

board for you: Liquid Force Trip 143
Hyperlite State 145
CWB Tatoo 143

Board for your son: Liquid Force Trip 128
Hyperlite State 125/130
CWB Trooper 125

For DVD's to help with the basics I would suggest Detention Vol. 1. It's the only one that I've seen and I like it. It will definitely get you started.

I don't know if CWB made any boards as big as a 147 unless it was over 5 years ago. Find out the specifics on the board and post 'em and we'll tell you if the board should be trashed or not.

You sound pretty serious about getting into the sport so I would reccommend for you to go with a high-end boot right from the start. It will save you money in the long run. For your son, would reccommend getting kind of a mid-level boot because most of the low-line stuff out there is just crap.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-25-2005, 3:30 AM Reply   
The only CWB 147's I remember is the twist and grafiti, either case its old.
Old    robertt            04-25-2005, 7:06 AM Reply   
I was wrong.

Looks like it is a CWB SOL, 138cm, with Mobe bindings in "L/XXL".

Does that make any sense?

Yes, I am definitly getting into it...I pretty much have to:-) It woudl be a waste of resources not to ride living on a lake where everyone around you does.

The biggest thing I am wondering is if I should just stick with the airchair or get into wakeboarding too.

Keep it coming guys...I am taking notes and making a list.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-25-2005, 7:43 AM Reply   
I would get into both. If you get sick of either one, you can change it up. Plus, nothing looks cooler than backrolls on an airchair. The 138 may be a little small for your size. I would find something in the 142 and up. "L/xxl" This most likly means that you can loosen it to an xxl, but that is just a guess.
Old    skippy            04-25-2005, 8:01 AM Reply   
Robert,

I've seen both Detention and Higher education instructional vids.. In my opinion Higher Education is better, I personally found that the detention vid was on the childish side.I can't personally recommend it but I hear that there is a new instructional vid called the book. might be worth looking into. it's had rave reviews.

As for boards i've always ridden Hyperlite. I've tried Liquid Force, CWB, Double UP, Jobe,

at the end of the day Hyperlite has suited my style (if you can call it style) of riding.. If there is a shop local to you that has a demo programme the go for it, even if they charge $20 or $30 it's worth finding out now that you don't like a board than paying $300 later...

Once you know what suits your style then search for the deal ion the web. I personally support my local board shop they always help me out with a warranty problem etc.. + let me try all the new boards when they come in. I give them my business and they look after me in return. (although i've also bought from Grizzly as well)
Old    robertt            04-25-2005, 11:57 AM Reply   
yea, I wish I could find a local shop but all the local guys have a little corner for the boards (1 or 2 from last year at best). they are all boat dealers. The only place that has any selection is Dicks/etc. I hate those places..I like my little local shops for the reasons you stated. I will continue my quest:-)

My next step is going from a 21p prop to a 18...hope that helps hole shot for my big butt:-)

I ordered a spectra rope, and already have a decent handle. The video is really key I would think to make the first day on the water less painful.

anyone have an old one they want to sell? I dont even know where to look for one really.

Any of you guys in Lake St. Louis?
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-25-2005, 6:47 PM Reply   
Robert, give Glass and Powder Boarshop a call, they will help you make the right decision for you and your son. The whole staff rides and know about all of the boards they sell. They are based out of Richmond, VA, but ship all over the world. 1-877-WE-GO-BIG, be sure to tell them you heard about it from Tiffany.
As for boards, I'm quite partial to CWB, but all companies make great boards. Some of the CWB's I would check out would be the Sol 141 or the Tatoo 143. Both of those boards are great to progress on and will be big enough for you. I have found that the most important part of your setup is bindings though. Be sure that your bindings fit properly or you could be risking knee or ankle injuries. I personally like the Boss and Zeus bindings from CWB, however the Torqs are good too.
A spectra rope is a must, all of the companies make great ropes, just make sure it is 100% stretch free. All of the companies make good handles too.
Later
Tiff
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-25-2005, 6:59 PM Reply   
another shop whose whole staff rides and knows about all the products they sell is boardstop.com. they are based in texas but ship worldwide as well. give them a call at 1-800-stop-411. tell them joe umali sent you.