Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-26-2004, 11:07 AM Reply   
It seems that my trailer brakes may have gone out or something... I believe the there might be a leak in the hydrolic fuild for the trailer brake so it doesnt break anymore. Anyone know is it difficult to fix? is it expensive?
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-26-2004, 11:57 AM Reply   
If you have a leak you would see it. You would have hydraulic fluid on your trailer and floor. When was the last ime you bled the brakes? Have you checked the brake bads? Have you adjusted the brake pads? How many miles does the trailer have on it? I adjust my brakes every year. I would check the fluid and bleed the breaks before you did anything. If you master cylinder is broken then just remove and replace and bled the brakes. It's pretty easy to do.

Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-26-2004, 12:37 PM Reply   
the trailer has very little miles on it... i would say about 1000 miles a year and i've had it for three years... most the time I pull it 1 miles to launch the boat and couple trips to the lake... thats it.. I've never checked the brake pads or anything...
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-26-2004, 1:15 PM Reply   
I would check the fluid level if it's low fill it then bled the brakes. Let me know if you need any tips for bleding the brakes. It canbe a pain on some trailers.
Old     (kneebone)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-26-2004, 1:24 PM Reply   
If you have a swing away toungue on the trailer, it can crimp the brake line and slowly bleed the fluid.
Old     (matt_h)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-26-2004, 1:30 PM Reply   
Defiantly bled the brake lines, a new trailer can need the lines bled.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-26-2004, 1:35 PM Reply   
this would be the first time bleeding the lines... at tips would be great!
Old     (matt_h)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-26-2004, 2:00 PM Reply   
On my trailer, there are bleed valves on the inside of each hub, they kind of look like grease certs (sp?). I use a ratchet type tie down strap to compress the master cylinder. Once the cylinder is compressed loosen the bleed valves until fluid squirts out then tighten back up. Release the master cylinder and repeat for all wheels that have brakes.

To test

Jack up each wheel and compress the master cylinder. If you have disk brakes you should not be able to turn the wheel at all. I'm not for sure on drum type. If you can turn the wheel re-bleed the lines that turn. Remember to add fluid as you remove air.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-26-2004, 2:13 PM Reply   
You need a freind to help you do this.
Extend your folding tounge and install the pins that hold it in place.
Take the strap off the front of the boat and hook it to the front of the master brake cylinder. Use the hook on the strap. Dont compress it yet.

Crawl nder the trail and look for the zerk type fittings. They will have a hole in the middle of it. It might be filled with paint so you might have to take it all the way to fix it. Be ready to fluid everywhere if it's under pressure. If it's got a hole in it losen it to release the air then tighten it. Have your helped turn the crank to compress the master brake cylinder. Once he is done compressing, open the bled valve to release the air. Keep doing this until you have a nice solid stream of fluid coming out. Then go to the other side and continue.

You will also need to adjust the brakes

Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-26-2004, 2:28 PM Reply   
Here is how you adjust the breakes. Take the wheel off and look for a plug. Pop the plug off and look for a star type of a thing. You can use a screwdriver or you might need to buy a special brake adjuster tool. It looks like a "S". Tighten the brake until you can't move the wheel. Then loosen 10 clicks for single axle or 5 for dual axle. If you can not move (click) the star you will have to remove the wheel cover to get to the star. Spray a little lub on it then use some pliers to get it unstuck.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-26-2004, 4:17 PM Reply   
ok... it seems like i need to make sure the boats off the trailer
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-27-2004, 7:33 AM Reply   
You don't need to take the boat off the trailer just jack it up.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-27-2004, 9:49 AM Reply   
thanks you guys for your help... i'll be working on this issuse this weekend or early next week...