Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old    franks21            03-09-2004, 6:29 AM Reply   
how much does the height of the wake matter when going into a jump. If you get a board with a 3 stage abrupt would i compensate for the lake of wake size or would it not make a difference.
Old    cws_kahuna            03-09-2004, 7:00 AM Reply   
I personally think your technique makes the biggest difference. A good or great wake makes things even better. The reason I think your technique is most important though is because I have seen people ride great wakes and horrible wakes and still pull off some sick tricks.
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-09-2004, 9:13 AM Reply   
I was led to believe that a 3 stage board would work better on a small wake due to the bucking effect. I will find out this spring because I am going from a 2001 Belmont to a 2003 Byerly.
Old    deltahoosier            03-09-2004, 9:48 AM Reply   
There was an article in Wakeboarding Mag about the rockers. If I remember correctly, three stage rockers are for steap abrubt wakes.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-09-2004, 10:19 AM Reply   
not always...Technique has a lot to do with it.

I can pull a full-out Tantrum off a 14Ft BostonWhaler with a 70hp engine. that wake is simply nothing in comparison to my MC Maristar210VRS wake with 1200lbs. Of course you get a lot higher in the MC or similar boats, but that is not the only option.

I learned behind a 16ft starcraft, then graduated to a 20ft SeaRay and then to a MC. I could do nearly everything I do now behind the SeaRay, but not anywhere near as high, or as cool looking, but could still do it. The MC is far more comfy too!
KG
Old    blindsiderider            03-09-2004, 11:17 AM Reply   
I would say that Technique has about 90 percent to do with it. Wake size just gives someone learning a new trick a little more time to do the trick. I can do a back roll off the inside of the wake and one in the flats. So wake size doesnt matter then. The best thing that I train on is my Trampoline For technique.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-09-2004, 11:21 AM Reply   
The size of the wake makes a huge difference.

Technique bla bla, bla bla, bla bla blaaaaa.

Consider all things equal(except wake), a bigger wake will produce bigger jumps. Why do you think people go so high off the double up.

To answer the questions: Wake size and shape makes a big difference in the air you get. No, a 3 stage rocker will not compensate for a crappy wake.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-09-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
Yeah rootc, but like kevin said, you can lay a full-out tanny behind a bayliner or similar I/O if you have your riding down. In my opinion, if you hhave a inboard, empty all ballast/etc when you first are learning to wakeboard
Old    blindsiderider            03-09-2004, 11:29 AM Reply   
Rootc what are you talking about. I could put someone behind a boat with the biggest wake you have ever scene and if he does not have the fundimentals and the technique to do the trick all you will get is a big mass flying through the air, just like you would on a small wake. The only differance is, with the bigger wake they would fly farther and higher not to mention come down harder.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-09-2004, 11:34 AM Reply   
yeah exactly.

the better you have developed your riding skills, the more you can USE the bigger wakes. for example you said how you get booted off the double up, yeah well only if you know how to hit one properly :-)

i know what you mean, i HAVE seen a few people who dont know how to ride get launched off my vlx wake more than another wake, but they still arnt doing it properly
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-09-2004, 10:23 PM Reply   
here it is plane and simple, skill is everything. however, bigger wakes mean bigger air.
Old     (gnarkill)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-09-2004, 10:50 PM Reply   
I want to jump 40 ft on my snowboard. Do I need a ramp of some sort or do I just rely on my technique? er
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-10-2004, 6:52 PM Reply   
the smaller the wake, the harder you have to WORK to pull off tricks. Big wakes make tricks seem much easier.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-10-2004, 10:12 PM Reply   
You can still pull off a bunch of tricks on a small wake (I can do full extended batwings, behind a mid 90's 17foot mastercraft barefoot outboard boat with no weight, the wake is tiny tiny, even able to spin 7's off a double up, but its hard work)
Just pick a board that you like, because with a small wake you ain't gonna get as much height as you would behind a comp boat, no matter what board you have.

(Message edited by kristian on March 10, 2004)
Old    beerdrnknboardr            03-11-2004, 1:02 AM Reply   
a bigger wake just means the potential for more air is there, but if you suck the wake size doesnt really matter
Old     (bradzass)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-11-2004, 2:20 AM Reply   
I got 100% better after going from a 17ft stegcraft outboard to 23ft challenger with a heap of weight, just a way better ride, your not busting your ass to pull everything off in time, no matter what board you have, its going to be easier if you have a decent wake..
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-11-2004, 3:04 AM Reply   
If wake size didn't matter, why does everyone go out spending s**t loads of cash on boats that give a few inches more wake.

I learn't behind a 14ft Fleture, with pretty much no wake, I learned basic grabs but had not enough time in the air to even poke them out. Our club just got a Tige Switch V, this boat gives a much better shape and sized wake, so I'm already feeling like i've got more time in the air, and so will start throwing more spins and inverts.
Old    dinker            03-11-2004, 10:53 AM Reply   
Wake size does matter and so does technique bigger wakes mean more air and technique help you to know how to get booted of the bigger wake.If you say a big wake dosent matter your nuts this isnt trick sking and guess what i ride behind a barefoot natique with 2 sacs and wieght up front wich throws a big wake trust me i rode behind murrays super air at the back yard tour and we have it just about dialed in like that just fill your boat with as much wieght as you can
Old     (jamesb)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-11-2004, 3:54 PM Reply   
I learnt to ride behind an outbaord with a fairly small wake. When I finally got some rides behind a loaded inboard with a bigger wake and a tower I was flying off the wake. Given my technique in loading the line and edging just to get air from the outboard I was flying much higher and easier then the guys that I was riding with that had only ever ridden behind that setup.

concentrate on technique before you concentrate on how much air you can get. It will benefit you in the long run.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-11-2004, 8:14 PM Reply   
I agree wake matters when you want to "go big", but I am saying when you learn, it is good to learn off a small wake and get the maximum potential out of it while getting your basics down. Then you can go ride be behind a nice inboard with some weight, and know what you are doing.
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-11-2004, 8:21 PM Reply   
wes can rider would have the best input on the matter... check out the low budget thread.