Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2007

Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-10-2007, 1:17 AM Reply   
Did anyone see the article in alliance mag about how lyman had to buy his own boat? It's crazy to think that a rider so good doesnt have a sponsor. Someone has to pick him up soon.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-10-2007, 4:24 AM Reply   
I heard he sank a couple of Tige's when he was sponsored by them...any facts on this?
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-10-2007, 4:34 AM Reply   
That was in one of the videos i have...can't remember which one though. But he said not being from the South and used to hurricanes, he didn't know when one was coming that he was supposed to take his boat out or something like that and it sank. No idea on if it was multiple times or not though.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-10-2007, 5:01 AM Reply   
He only sank one boat, but destroyed the transmission on a few of them. They told him the next boat he screwed up, he was off the team.

You think Epic would pick him up.
Old     (dooie)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-10-2007, 5:29 AM Reply   
if i was that good i would demand MASTER CRAFT!!!
doesn't he ride for malibu

(Message edited by dooie on April 10, 2007)
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-10-2007, 5:31 AM Reply   
Lyman IS sponsored by Malibu. He hasn't got the boat deal yet. He Bought Gerry Nunn's '06 from Malibu at a SIGNIFICANT savings.

The Only Riders on Malibu that actually get boats for free are
-Dallas, Chad, and Philip

Malibu just picked up Keith, and Randall for Per Shot contracts, That picture of him in alliance standing next to the malibu logo on his boat, he just made some money.
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-10-2007, 5:31 AM Reply   
p.s.

Keith is the best friggin rider IMHO
Old     (lfshane132)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-10-2007, 6:42 AM Reply   
i could be wrong but doesnt kevin henshaw and gerry nunn get a boat from malibu for free
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-10-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
Also, what is your definition of free?

Yes, a lot of riders get heavily discounted boats or get to use a boat for a year, then they have to give it back to the dealer (a demo boat). Either way, they get a boat, but it isn't free. When they lose their sponsorship, they can't just go sell the boat and make 40G's.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-10-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
Yah there are a lot of different setups available. I have heard of deals where the sponsored rider purchases the boat at cost, uses it for one season and sells it at market value making a little coin in the end and upgrading to the newest model as well.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-10-2007, 9:34 AM Reply   
wasnt gerry nunn's 06 malibu blue? the boat he was standing on was black and yellow.
Old     (jnewton7)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-10-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
Here is a pic from alliance's site from the article about lyman's roomate. Not sure if its his or not but looks like Nunn's LSV.
Upload
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-10-2007, 1:27 PM Reply   
youre right. it does look like nunn's boat. he must have gotten it dirt cheap
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-10-2007, 3:01 PM Reply   
That was nunn's boat for sure.
Old     (lastemperor)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-10-2007, 3:12 PM Reply   
didn't that alliance article say that he left his last tige out during a hurricane and it got trashed? he had a sense of humor about it, though.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-10-2007, 5:21 PM Reply   
i know one thing... that is a lot of dang weight
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-10-2007, 5:37 PM Reply   
that is crazy! I cant believe how many fat sacks he has in that thing. Wow, that would be one hell of a ride.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-10-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
can anyone say blown out knees? oh... and i love the little dog just chillin
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-10-2007, 5:57 PM Reply   
do most pro riders actually NEED boat sponsorship other than the 'rents?
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-10-2007, 6:01 PM Reply   
i remember reading about lyman when he first started... his parents pay for much i dont think. His dad made calls and got him hooked up. He has come a long way on his own. Rusty's parents bought a old mastercraft ski boat for him to ride behind. A lot of riders dont have the luxury of parents buying them boats
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-10-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
thank you keith lyman and alliance for giving me a new way to weight down my boat!!!! i never even thought about two side by side on the floor, i generally just throw one on the back seat and one on the floor, but this might save me some gas
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-10-2007, 7:05 PM Reply   
ps im sure he isn't upset about being off of tige, atleast now he will actually get to ride behind his own boat
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2007, 7:07 PM Reply   
lymann is tied with harf for the most stylish rider, but he doesnt compete or do a lot of publicity, so that doesnt really make sponsors happy. the only exposure he gives them is in magazines and movies.
Old     (dooie)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-10-2007, 7:42 PM Reply   
who finished higher on the pro tour lyman or soven?
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2007, 7:46 PM Reply   
i didnt notice lymann was on the tour!
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-10-2007, 7:47 PM Reply   
soven...by far
Old     (dooie)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-10-2007, 7:55 PM Reply   
i was just checking.if lyman was higher he should have his own boat for sure, but he didn't
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-11-2007, 4:25 AM Reply   
This is what keith says about contests.

"Because contest riding forces you to ride in the crappiest water conditions in the world. Also, the runs are always to short and the wakes are usually too small because the course is too short so they need the boat to be able to get out of the hole quickly in case someone falls."

Im not sure i entirely agree but i can see where he is coming from with that statement.
Old     (lastemperor)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-11-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
harf the most stylish? i thought he was known more for his tech and consistency, hence him being a great contest rider, whereas guys like shane, lyman, greenwood and harris all have great style but aren't as good in contests for whatever reason. not that the two equate necessarily, but i've never really liked harf's style as much as others. then again, i guess it's all personal opinion...he's still a great rider, though.
Old     (dmac)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-11-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
I wish video's would get more serious in wakeboarding like they are in snow. I think riders and the industry would expand alot more, and for the better.. Contest rule our sport right now, hopefully in a few years it will change
Old     (lastemperor)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-11-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
Contests still rule all sports, except maybe skating (bam margera), but even then, look at P Rod, Koston, Sheckler, Cole and Tony Hawk--all great contest riders, all the most popular. Sean White is the most popular snowboarder, and kelly slater is the most pop surfer with AI a close second as he has been the past two years in points on the WCT. most popular skier is tanner hall, and he's killed the x games.

the money goes where the exposure is. i'd say that a guy like byerly is a rare exception to the rules. there are "bylerlys" in all sports. But, because wakeboarding gets so little media exposure, i'd say that videos are bigger in wake than they are in most any other sport, except maybe skiing.
Old     (lfshane132)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-11-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
trevors post about keith not doing publicity for his sponsors is as far off as can be. lyman does a lot of boat shows, clinics, and the two you names magazine shoots and videos. i dont know if u watched the POV on him on alliance.com or on pull but shaun murray said he is the hardest working person in the industry and ben greenwood, aaron reed, and trevor hanson said things along the same lines of that
Old     (lfshane132)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-11-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
trevors post about keith not doing publicity for his sponsors is as far off as can be. lyman does a lot of boat shows, clinics, and the two you names magazine shoots and videos. i dont know if u watched the POV on him on alliancewake.com or on pull but shaun murray said he is the hardest working person in the industry and ben greenwood, aaron reed, and trevor hanson said things along the same lines of that
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-11-2007, 3:18 PM Reply   
Jeff Weatherall gets a VLX from malibu also.