Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (jwebster)      Join Date: May 2006       05-15-2006, 4:12 PM Reply   
I have an 06 220sp sky direct drive that shakes bad, even the tower shakes between 1100rpm and 1500rpm. Does it in gear and in neutral so its not a prop or drive line. I bout it from The Boat Center in Valencia. They told me that it was the design of the exhaust. Any body else have this problem or is everyone else smart enough to stay away from Supreme boats. thanks for any help
Old     (supreme_rob)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-15-2006, 5:44 PM Reply   
DONT Panic!!! I have an 05' 220sp sky supreme direct drive and have the same thing going on. I called my dealer and supreme's factory and they are correct it's in the design of the exhaust. If yours is like mine it smooths out after 1500 rpm's. I even had a mechanic ride in mine and he said the same thing. No worries, be stoked on your new purchase and go have fun. Supremes are great boats.
Old     (jwebster)      Join Date: May 2006       05-15-2006, 6:01 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info Rob but when you pay $37000 for a new boat you would expect a little bit more than a rattle box. There has to be something that can be done.
Old     (supreme_rob)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-15-2006, 8:08 PM Reply   
Justin,the factory told me they were working on a set of tips that would basically clear the problem up, I know how you feel it was alarming when I first put the boat in the water last year but I'm over it now and just enjoying it, it's alot of boat for the money and just keep in mind it's an exhaust problem and nothing really serious.
Old     (jwebster)      Join Date: May 2006       05-15-2006, 9:03 PM Reply   
I know but it still makes me furious, what would the tips do? and who do I call to learn more about them, Fineline? thanks
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-16-2006, 5:29 AM Reply   
You must have the Mercrusier engine?
Old     (jwebster)      Join Date: May 2006       05-16-2006, 6:12 AM Reply   
yes, is that part of the problem?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-16-2006, 7:13 AM Reply   
No.

Several boats use Merc. Nothing to do with it.
Old     (ian30)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-16-2006, 7:58 AM Reply   
Didn't you test drive this thing? Anyway, i think if you go out a few more times, you might not even notice it anymore. If it makes you feel better, i have a Calabria Pro-v that porpoises at high speed and there isn't much to be done about it - I test drove it twice and didn't notice it (not sure why) Now everyone I talk to that has one has the same problem, If you adjust the wakeplate it helps but doesn't really clear it up. Its annoying, but I just accept it. You'll either accept your problem, or sell the boat.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-16-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
Justin did the dealer mention this to you before you bought it. Kinda like a warning of some sort. I'd be a little upset with this. Like you said spend 37,000 on a boat and expect a little more than a rattle box.

My boat has a Merc and smooth as silk. I agree with Jrod.}
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-16-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
Ian,

Have you tried running a few hundred in lead under the nose cushions?
Old     (ian30)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-16-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
J-rod,
I haven't, but I just moved three blue tops to under the front cushions (about 150 lbs I think), so maybe that will help. it takes water over the bow so easy, I don't think i want to put any more up there. Do you know someone who this worked for, or are you just theorizing? Cause it sounds like a good idea. It's not that often that I get over 30 MPH so its not a huge deal, just annoying when I do, bouncing up and down on perfectly smooth water seems lame.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-16-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
sometimes it's just a result of being unbalanced. Trying moving people up front while the problem is happening to see if it stops.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-16-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
Ian, it'll work. Put a few hundo in the far nose and you'll be good. My X2 does the same thing with all the lead that we run in the back. For me leaving a little water in my front ballast takes care of it. Just too much weight in the back with the motor back there.

Justin, my '02 Sanger had a Mercruiser in it and it had a vibration right aroudn 1500rpm's too. We never figured it out. Doesn't sound like it was as bad as yours, but it was really annoying in 5 zones because it always seemed to be at the speed you needed to go. I always thought it was a ECM programming or internal engine balance issue. Anyway, never got it resolved and I'm kinda down on Mercruiser as a result.
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-16-2006, 12:39 PM Reply   
Ian now adjust the cavitation plate down 1/8-1/4"

This should solve your problem.
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-16-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
Ian,
I moved my plate down like travis said and it has been fine.
Old     (regalado1)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-16-2006, 7:34 PM Reply   
Must only be with the direct drive. Or something with the 06. I have an 05 V220 Sky and no problem with shaking of any sort. Don't really have any suggestions. Sorry. Just wanted to let you know that the Supreme 220 V drive was not doing that.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-16-2006, 9:08 PM Reply   
mine porpoised(sp?) then we put 350lbs in the bow and it rides much smoother, not sure about the shaking at low rpms...again a v-drive here
Old     (jwebster)      Join Date: May 2006       05-16-2006, 9:39 PM Reply   
It is only the direct drives. I got a hold of a fineline industries tech. He told me that it was the way the motor was attached to the stringers. He said to get more info to call Ron at Kal Kustum. He told me the reason was because the exhaust doesn't exit the very back of the boat. If you look from the side profile there is a notch that goes about a foot back and drops down about eight inches. The exhaust exits and hits bounces up underneath the boat and shakes it. I can't see how air bubbles are shaking this thing that bad. I am embarrassed to say that I did not take it for a test drive, the salesman never offered to take us for one and never thought that a brand new boat would ride anything like this.