Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (obriengotwake)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-24-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
I am looking at getting my first surfer. I have spent the last 2 weeks reading forums and still confused. Looking to fit a variety of riders. On my list so far are the 2007 LF venture 5'0" and the 2008 HL Broadcast 5'6" and 4'9. I will also not be riding a monster wake either. Boat is a 88 Ski Centurion DD. If you could explain why u pick the specific board. Thanks for all your help. Feel free to call me if you have any in depth info. 586-242-4776
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-24-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
Greg, if you think your going to have a small wake then go for a bigger board. This summer I met new friends with an 88 CC 2001. I guess that they were about 110 to 160 pounds and they had a Broadcast 5.6. They were unable to learn how to surf with the board and boat they had.

I gave both of them a pull behind my boat I think on my Broadcast 5.6 and they both did grate. Then I sent them off with my Inland Surfer Red Tide for a couple of hours. They had no trouble surfing the Red Tide behind their boat. Once they learned what to do they were able to surf the Broadcast 5.6 behind their boat.

Now be careful because like myself, they became addicted to surfing. Within three weeks they bought a Centurion Avalanche and now I have boat envy.

I’ve found the Broadcast 5.6 to be a good beginner’s board. The cost is low and the board is fairly stable. However, you might need more wake than what you have. The IS Red is a good board but it can be too big for the very light, my daughter can’t manage it. I really like the Inland Surfer Blue as an all around board and a learning board. The Blue is nearly as long as the Red but it’s narrower and more maneuverable. Most riders should do very well on the Blue. I’ve also had good experience with the Shred Stixx JaMako. The SS Ja Mako is a pretty high end board. If you want a board that’s big, and maneuverable and will give you plenty of room to grow your skill set it might be worth looking at.

I don’t have any experience with LF wakesurfers. I think the 4.9 is going to be too small if you don’t think your going to build a big wake.

The other thing that would be helpful to know is the weight of the riders that will be surfing and what you think you want to do with wakesurfing.
Old     (dgarland0)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-24-2007, 10:24 AM Reply   
I first bought the 5'6" broadcast, and since have bought the Inland Surfer Blue Lake, and wow. If I did it all over again I would have bought the Blue Lake originally. It is a great board, fast enough to advance on, solid and stable enough to learn on.

www.inlandsurfer.com

dg
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-24-2007, 12:42 PM Reply   
DONT GET THE L/F VENTURE it's a slug.

Both Hyperlites are good boards. I'm currently riding the CWB Tsunami and like it.
Old     (obriengotwake)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-24-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
how is the progression on a 5'6, i heard u can change fins ect. i dont want to get it learn and have to get a new one. But i also want a board that everyone can use and enjoy. Thanks for the quick response
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-24-2007, 3:21 PM Reply   
You can remove the fins. I don't know of any other sources for HL fins so your stuck with the fins that come with the board. I've ridden the 5.6 with two fins, only the center fin, and with one of the smaller outer fins in the center position. Removing fins will loosen the board up. With just he outer fins I still find the 5.6 fairly difficult to spin. Putting an outer fin in the center spot makes it about right for spinning.

I'd go with the Blue. First it’s just a better board. I have spun the board but it’s my friend’s board and I don’t get to ride it that often. I do have an IS Yellow. I think the Blue and Yellow are comparable, the yellow is more maneuverable. You can buy additional fins for the Blue. IS came out with there own line of fins this year. I don’t know how broad the the new IS fins sizes are. The new fins are similar in shape to the Futures fins.

The fins on the 5.6 are long and relatively deep. The center fin is deeper than the side fins. The IS fins are deeper but not as long. The shorter deeper fins on the Blue work better for me. I think the length of the HL fins make the board more difficult to spin.
Old     (obriengotwake)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-24-2007, 6:03 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, on that note how hard is the 4'9 to learn on and will that work out. I keeping hearing great things about IS but just dont have the funds. I might just hold of till spring and let my search carry on. Any suggestions comments still welcome and if you know of good surfers for sale send them my way.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-24-2007, 6:16 PM Reply   
How much do you weigh? I suspect the 4.9 will be too small if you don't think that you'll be able to build a large wake.

The 5.6 is a good starter board and is relatively inexpensive
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-24-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
i have a the 4'9. it's a fun board and easy to get up on, but you wont be able to "surf" unless you have a BIG wave. if you want to get up and just hang onto the rope, it's great. They're pretty stable but slippery and easy to spin. but like i said, you wont be able to surf on a small wake unless you are TINY!

if budget is a major issue, it's hard to argue with the HL line. i'd suggest the 5'6 if you go that route. since it's the off season though, i'd suggest you keep your eye open for people selling good used boards of a higher quality. it really does make a difference.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-24-2007, 6:36 PM Reply   
Here's a little wakesurf tribal knowledge; As you ride more and get better at surfing you can ride smaller boards. At my weight I can ride the smallest Tick Boardz board available, that’s tinny. When I started learning I had a difficult time learning how to ride on the 5.6. Over time I learned how to tweak my wake and I got better and surfing.

I weigh 220 and have ridden the 4.9 with no problems. However, I'd say that I was riding on a fairly respectable wake and I had about two years of experience.

Again, if I thought that I was going to have a small wake to work with and I want to share the experience with many friends any of which could be large or small, I’d go with the 5.6.
Old     (obriengotwake)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-25-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
Thanks Ed C.R. I will keep an eye out from now until spring and see what turns up. If spring comes up and nothing is found then i will go with a new Broadcast. Any other suggestions or things to think about feel free to comment.
Old     (2manytoys)      Join Date: May 2007       11-26-2007, 7:36 AM Reply   
Thread Hijack.... I am looking for an Inland blue used.. if anybody has a good deal on one let me know... just got the boat and want to teach my 9 year old how to surf and wakeboard. Thanks ... end of hijack
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-26-2007, 7:44 AM Reply   
The broadcast is probably the best beginner board/teacher out, all recent years.

You will not go wrong with a BC, but you will outgrow it. I recommend searching for a used one, since they are always up for sale as everyone outgrows it.

If you want to spend a little more, an IS blue as recommended above is a great board. New/beginners can ride but the most experienced can shred on that board as well. You'll get more time and growth on the IS blue, plus it's made better, will last longer and is great on HUGE waves as well as on smaller DD waves.
Old     (obriengotwake)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-26-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
i am looking at a new 07.5 IS Red Tide for 340 shipped. How is the price and is this a good board for my purpose.
Old     (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-26-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
Got mine from www.BoardersBestBuy.com for 279.00
304 w/ shipping you just have to watch for the deals
they are 340. plus shipping from there other site chk it out at http://http://boardersmall.com/xcart/home.php?cat=301

(Message edited by jon43 on November 26, 2007)
Old     (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-26-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
http://boardersmall.com/xcart/home.php?cat=565
299. today
Old     (obriengotwake)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-26-2007, 4:56 PM Reply   
i saw the 299 but they add 40 to ship because its closeout. thats where the price kicks my ass
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-26-2007, 8:29 PM Reply   
Greg, If you ever make down to Columbus I'd be happy to let you try my boards,
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-27-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
The broadcast great board to learn out. taught from 100 lb to 250 to get up on it. The Phase 5 Prop board is a great next step. Its for 220lb and less.
Old     (bcail)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-27-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
What do you guys think about the IS Yellow Loogey. It would be used mostly by my twins who are about 75 and 135 lbs.

Yes they are twins (I think with the same parents)!!!
Old     (hgaugh)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-03-2007, 5:17 PM Reply   
Hey greg-

I have a hardly (I think maybe 7-9 runs on the board) used 2007 HL Broadcast...I used it at the beginning of the summer to get ropeless and learn surfing. It is really a great beginner board...

PM me if you are interested, I can let it go and get it to you in time for Xmas.