Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (cbraden)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-18-2007, 10:19 AM Reply   
What is the major difference in the two speakers? Sound, anything? and do I need an amp to run 4 of them for interior with a 50Wx4 Kenwood head unit?
Old     (whtlghtn49)      Join Date: May 2007       05-18-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
Cody, I am researching the same thing right now. I don't think there is really any difference in the db650 and db651's as far as function is concerned. The only thing different I can spot is the slightly different grills that each speaker has, and the db651's come in a shallow/slim version as well. My advice would be get the db650's...they are all on closeout now. I talked to tech's at Crutchfield and they highly recommended them.

About the amp...

Now, I don't know too much, but I've just been listening to others. The speakers would work without and amp, but for best sound, you really need an amp for them. When comparing powers, I think you need to pay more attention to the RMS watts than the peak watts. Those db650's are rated at 60W RMS. I think with your 50Wx4 Kenwood, the RMS that it would push through each channel would only be about 20-22? As you can see, you are not truly getting the power to your speakers that they can handle. Therefore, a 4-channel amp that pushes 60W RMS through each would be ideal.

If you take a look at the thread I started on here (it should be below somewhere, entitled "Need help with stereo selection/install", or something like that), 54 gives some pretty good advice on everything. A good amp for that setup will start out at about $100 or so. Let me give you some suggestions of ones I was looking at! (credit to 54 for most of this info!)

54 thought this was a very good amplifier for the money to run the 4-Polk db650 setup like you described. Compared to the original price, it seems a great deal!
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_1702_Phoenix+Gold+R5.0-4.html

I spoke to a technician at Crutchfield, and he recommended this amp for that setup. However, 54, who knows much more than I about audio things, pointed out that this amp's original price was much lower than the Phoenix Gold's, which might therefore mean it is of inferior quality? Who knows though...
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jOubKKXtJd2/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=489AP740

Now, as you see, that Profile amp is $129.99 at Crutchfield with free shipping. However, 54 sent me this link, where it is on sale for $91.95, but it is about $15 to ship it to me in Texas.
http://www.audio-warehouse.com/web/mdl/AP740/detail.asp

Best deal I found on it was Ebay. It is $90 shipped to you.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Profile-AP740-480-Watt-4-Channel-Amp-Low_W0QQitemZ330120315704QQihZ014QQcategoryZ39739Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, if you are considering one day adding a sub to your system, you might want to opt for a 5-channel amp, or you could always just add another amp and run 2 of them. If you are interested, here is a 5-channel amp I found that would work for not only your db650's, but also a sub. Cheaper than buying 2 amps probably.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_1613_Phoenix+Gold+R9.0-5.html

Please let me know what you decide to do, because I am currently in the same situation you are!

(Message edited by whtlghtn49 on May 18, 2007)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-18-2007, 3:57 PM Reply   
Profile vs. Phoenix Gold...

My money goes to PG.

What about PPI or Orion (Directed companies)?

Crutchfield seems to have lowered their quality standards in recent years. I used to find lots of nice products in Crutchfield but now most it is just barely one notch above flea market stuff.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2007, 5:09 PM Reply   
mikeski,

IMO I would say Crutchfield has lowered their standards ALOT since the late 80's early 90's.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-18-2007, 7:22 PM Reply   
cheap crap sells!
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-18-2007, 11:44 PM Reply   
Someone give these people the link to that post that shows the brands ratings. I wouldn't put Phoenix Gold, Profile, or any of these lower end pieces of equipment in my 40,000+ dollar boat. I feel guilty having Kicker / RF components on board!

In no way am I attacking price-concious consumers. A cheap bump is better than no bump at all -- just MY personal opinion.
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-19-2007, 4:18 AM Reply   
Regards Cody, Kade, and myself...I'm not sure we are being price conscious, but I know we don't know enough about amps to know the diff between a $100 amp and a $300 amp that both say 4x60 rms. SO, if you guys wouldn't mind elaborating on a) what diff can we expect to find in a cheap amp vs. an expensive amp; and b) suggest a good amp for this application, that would be super cool