Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-03-2013, 12:33 PM Reply   
In a few days ,It will be 28 years since a Drunk Driver jump the Center divider and hit Me @ 70 MPH .
Should Someone Be able to buy Gas for there Car if thay don't have a License and insurance???

Can't get into a Bar with out your License ,But you can buy gas and Drive Drunk...
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       12-03-2013, 12:55 PM Reply   
What if it's for your lawn mower, or your boat. You don't need a driver's license or insurance to legally drive either. Not that I want anyone driving drunk. How do you do pay at the pump with those kinds of requirements? What's to prevent someone from buying the unlicensed or uninsured driver's gas? Drunk drivers suck but regulating gas purchasing isn't the answer. How about regulating the purchase of alcohol instead? Most DL have a magnetic strip. How about having a period after a drinking offense where you are not allowed to buy alcohol? The magnetic strip could access a database that shows whether you are allowed to buy alcohol.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-03-2013, 1:30 PM Reply   
Would be a great idea IMO.

Coming from a guy who was hit by an uninsured driver and will never see the money.

The guy
- Lied to police
- Drove away from accident
- Didnt show up to court
- Lost court case
- License became suspended

His solution... File bankruptcy and it all goes away.

I see him driving around town monthly..
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       12-03-2013, 3:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_moose View Post
In a few days ,It will be 28 years since a Drunk Driver jump the Center divider and hit Me @ 70 MPH .
Should Someone Be able to buy Gas for there Car if thay don't have a License and insurance???

Can't get into a Bar with out your License ,But you can buy gas and Drive Drunk...

Do you have a dark cloud following you at all times? Just curious.....
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-03-2013, 11:04 PM Reply   
If you not support to Drive ,,, why do you need Gas
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-04-2013, 6:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
If you not support to Drive ,,, why do you need Gas
That actually got an audible laugh out of me....
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-04-2013, 7:25 AM Reply   
The idea sounds great...but we can't even get the idea that you need to have a drivers license to vote in all 50 states.

I can tell you that some ethnicities down here in TX would certainly have an issue....Lawn mowers don't run on anything but gas or diesel.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-04-2013, 7:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRider View Post
What if it's for your lawn mower, or your boat. You don't need a driver's license or insurance to legally drive either. Not that I want anyone driving drunk. How do you do pay at the pump with those kinds of requirements? What's to prevent someone from buying the unlicensed or uninsured driver's gas? Drunk drivers suck but regulating gas purchasing isn't the answer. How about regulating the purchase of alcohol instead? Most DL have a magnetic strip. How about having a period after a drinking offense where you are not allowed to buy alcohol? The magnetic strip could access a database that shows whether you are allowed to buy alcohol.
Are you really proposing that any of that would really stop someone from getting his/her hand on alcohol? All that would do is lead to other avenues of getting alcohol such as stealing alcohol, getting a friend to purchase, stealing identity and might even start up a black market for booze. May want to read up on prohibtion. The alcohol was made illegal for the masses / but they still found ways to get it.

Same deal with gun control, you do whatever you want to try stop it but there will always be ways around it. Chicago is a gun free city - yet it is one of the highest murder by gun places in the US. Laws are goin to stop anyone from getting guns or booze.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-04-2013, 7:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfan23 View Post
Would be a great idea IMO.

Coming from a guy who was hit by an uninsured driver and will never see the money.

The guy
- Lied to police
- Drove away from accident
- Didnt show up to court
- Lost court case
- License became suspended

His solution... File bankruptcy and it all goes away.

I see him driving around town monthly..
and that's exactly whats wrong with our court system. Years ago they were supposed to change the law so it was harder to file. That obviously didn't do crap.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       12-04-2013, 7:54 AM Reply   
Anything to get a political dig in eh Murphy? Nobody's taking away your precious guns because it's unconstitutional to do so. You can go back to wiping them with a diaper and calling them "the precious" now. I'm a gun owner and a 2nd amendment supporter but I'm not a ridiculous gun nut and I don't like the NRA or what they do politically. And as for prohibition, that was when they made alcohol illegal for EVERYONE. I doubt that making it illegal only for people with alcohol related crimes would create the same black market supply. Sure there would be people that weren't supposed to have it that would get it. It's not about making it impossible. It's about making it more difficult. The same could be said about gasoline. Making it illegal to buy at the pump just means that the unlicensed driver has to get it a different way such as stealing an identity or starting up a black market for gasoline. Way to throw in the racist comment about Mexican landscapers there too. You need ID to register to vote. Why would you need it again at the polls? I vote from home with an absentee ballot every year. Guess how often my ID is checked before I place my ballot in the mail box. ZERO! Voter ID laws are about suppressing the vote. They are not about reducing voter fraud.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       12-04-2013, 8:00 AM Reply   
Quote:

It's already illegal to drive drunk, it's already illegal to drive on the wrong side of the road, it's already illegal to strike another vehicle with the one you're driving. All these laws and yet you still got struck by a drunk driving on the wrong side of the road. More government doesn't solve anything, it just means more money is stolen from us, more oppression and checkpoints, more loss of privacy, and the cost of goods and services increases.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-04-2013, 8:05 AM Reply   
Let the guy with out a Drivers License ,use a push mower,,I did when I was a kid

Why should it be easy for a clown to get gas for his car
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-04-2013, 8:15 AM Reply   
Laws are there to keep honest people honest. That is all they do, they don't prevent a non-law abiding citizen from doing what they are going to do. Asking for a driver's license to purchase gas isn't going to keep a person from driving drunk, they may already have a full tank of gas. The legal drinking age is 21, does that keep thousands of teen's from drinking and partying every weekend? NO!
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-04-2013, 8:30 AM Reply   
Your Right Timmy ,,, But the simple statement is
Should you be able to buy Gas if You don't have a Drivers License and insurance??? yes or No ,,, Not this or that or what if that or what,,,Yes or No
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-04-2013, 9:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Should you be able to buy Gas if You don't have a Drivers License and insurance??? yes or No ,,, Not this or that or what if that or what,,,Yes or No
Simple answer, YES....
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-04-2013, 9:15 AM Reply   
On the flip side, I don't think you should be able to purchase one of those scented trees people hang in their cars, without a valid drivers license and current insurance on a vehicle...so we're on the same page there!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-04-2013, 9:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
My bad, my simplified answer is Yes.

Short reason for "Yes":
Cars aren't the only things that require gasoline.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-04-2013, 12:35 PM Reply   
How about this Timmy ,your right again ,,,You can't show proof of Insurance and a Drivers License,,, 1 gal. in a can ,,,hows that? Simple
WOW ,Just 2 Yes's,,, maybe this was a BAD idea
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-04-2013, 12:52 PM Reply   
Really?! What about my generator, my outboard motor, weed wacker, lawn mower, dirt bike and whatever else requires gas. Pretty ignorant statement if you ask me.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-04-2013, 12:58 PM Reply   
I'm sorry this happened to you Moose and I see what you are trying to do but unfortunately, it's not the solution to the problem. If only it were that easy. Say you implement your law tomorrow and going forward you must present your driver's license and insurance to fill up your car. Guess what happens on Day 1 or 2? Another drunk driver kills someone because they already filled up their car or are driving someone else's.
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       12-05-2013, 12:46 PM Reply   
people drive w/o insurance and/or license all the time. insurance companies wouldn't sell uninsured motorist coverage otherwise. one of these jackasses hit my car years ago. scumbag.

as for being drunk, most people probably gas up before they get tanked....bah, get it? that was bad. i'll leave now.
Old     (dirtrider)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-05-2013, 1:34 PM Reply   
Yes
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-06-2013, 5:15 AM Reply   
What is your ultimate goal here? To stop drinking and driving? Because I'm sure that most people busted or involved in accidents where alcohol is the culprit have a valid drivers license and insurance so there would be no real resolution.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-06-2013, 6:43 AM Reply   
What is your ultimate goal here? Hate N Pain
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-06-2013, 6:54 AM Reply   
Ya We all know I cant spell ,But you cant Read ...
Simple if You can't show proof of Insurance and a Drivers License,you can't put gas in a Car.Simple
Nothing about weed whackers,generators or toy boats ,,,, CARS ,JUST CARS
not about drunk drivers ,JUST ,Drivers THAT DON"T HAVE proof of Insurance and a Drivers License...
quit making things up...
If you don't have a Drivers License ,your not suppose to Drive,and if you cant drive ,,,Why do you need $50 worth of gas??? WHY
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-06-2013, 7:09 AM Reply   
Ok, so walk us through how that will fix things?
Old    bigdtx            12-06-2013, 7:25 AM Reply   
They already have interlock devices that can be installed on cars so that it can't be started unless the driver (or someone) blows a legal BAC. They have been around for years. It would be simple to install on in every vehicle - why hasn't that happened (hint hint)?
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-06-2013, 7:28 AM Reply   
Any body that has access to a Car can and will drive ,,,If you cant buy gas for that Car ,how far can you Drive?
I have a good friend of mine in prison for 3 years now ,,,his like 4 time being busted for diving with out a License,
He Blind in one eye ,not suppose to drive,but loves to Drive
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-06-2013, 7:43 AM Reply   
Quote:

Can't get into a Bar with out your License ,But you can buy gas and Drive Drunk
This is where I got the crazy notion this had to do with drinking and driving. You started with a story about it then rallied against people being able to buy gas without certain proofs then ended with a cry against drinking and driving. Don't know how I missed that it had nothing to do with trying to attenuate drinking and driving.

So the goal is simply to stop people from driving cars that don't have licenses and insurance? Here's a fact. Its already against the law. How's that working out?
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-06-2013, 7:54 AM Reply   
So the goal is simply to stop people from driving cars that don't have licenses and insurance? Here's a fact. Its already against the law. How's that working out?
Its NOT working out ,,, these people can pull a car into a station ,fill up and Cuzzzzz.
Do you know what kind of paper work I have to fill out to buy 5 gals of Acetone ,and Ive been making surfboard for 38 years,,, not making Meth ,but I still have to fill this **** out.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-06-2013, 8:06 AM Reply   
See the D.M.V. says Driving a privilege NOT a Right ...
Not about the Drunk Diver ,Properly Dives better than a person that NOT Suppose to Drive AT ALL
My good bros Roommate 2 months ago Passed out 2 times in public ,thay took her license away ,But she still go's shopping and to yoga.
I SAW A SUV COMING AT ME WITH NO ONE DRIVING... OK
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       12-06-2013, 8:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
If you don't have a Drivers License ,your not suppose to Drive,and if you cant drive ,,,Why do you need $50 worth of gas??? WHY
It doesn't matter why someone with no drivers license needs $50 worth of gas. It's none of your business, it's none of my business. An individual purchasing a product from another individual or business is nobody's business aside from those involved in the transaction.

People with that mentality, asking why someone needs something and proposing the use of violence to discourage a non-aggressive action are why freedom is a thing of the past. I just want to live my life and go about my business without aggression or interference from anyone, and without initiation aggression against anyone. That is freedom and it is what I want.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       12-06-2013, 8:23 AM Reply   
Has "da moose" contributed anything to wakeboarding on this forum lately?
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-06-2013, 11:24 AM Reply   
10 News Investigators: 25 percent of Florida drivers don't have insurance

http://www.wtsp.com/news/topstories/...have-insurance

I don't have a gun ,,but can you buy bullets,with out a permit for a gun? someone
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-06-2013, 1:51 PM Reply   
Nearly 12 percent of drivers in California drive without a license, according to statistics, adding up to an estimated 1 million drivers in the state. Officials said these drivers are some 2.7 times more likely to cause a fatal crash.

http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-cal...o/-/index.html

Lets say that these #'s are wrong ,only 12.5% don't have car insurance and only 6% drive with out a License,Thats 18.5 % that should be off the road ,WOW
Less traffic ,There would be an over surplus of Gas,Probably cost at least 50 cents a gal less

This means almost 1in 5 drivers would be off the road ,,, IF THAY COULDN'T GET GAS 1IN 5 MIN.... THIS IS A BAD IDEA
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-06-2013, 2:39 PM Reply   
Those numbers are wrong moose. Waaaay wrong. They don't account for the number of illegal alien criminals who drive also.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-06-2013, 3:48 PM Reply   
Once again little train that couldn't ,couldn't Read one again

Lets say that these #'s are wrong ,only 12.5% don't have car insurance and only 6% drive with out a License,Thats 18.5 % that should be off the road ,WOW

READ,Don't make thing up
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-07-2013, 4:03 PM Reply   
Da Moose, do you have a drivers license?
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       12-07-2013, 4:13 PM Reply   
Electric Car
Propane

Neither require gas, regulating that would be ineffective.
An effective measure is one my state does already and makes it mandatory for a ignition interlock device to be installed. It is routinely checked to make sure it is still installed right and working right. It is monitored electronically to prevent tampering. it is required to blow a clean sample to start the car and to keep it running. They are now starting to put in DNA testing to it so you can't have someone else blow as a passenger either.
Which btw: is just very stupid of the passenger willingly enabling the driver to drive drunk with them in the vehicle, but hey people are stupid.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-07-2013, 7:44 PM Reply   
Like i said : Bad Idea,,,Everyone Drive ON
Thats why i have $300K in Uninsured motorist
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-08-2013, 9:33 AM Reply   
You saw an SUV coming at you with no one driving?
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-08-2013, 11:04 AM Reply   
Yep ,missed me by 6 ins.