Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-14-2011, 10:09 AM Reply   
Was chatting with a fella this weekend and he mentioned that we may be seeing an electric 210 next year. Anyone else have any insight on this?
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       06-14-2011, 11:50 AM Reply   
there are some videos floating around of it
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       06-14-2011, 11:54 AM Reply   
Ah, good ol' coal fired boats that need a 4-8 hour charge between 15 minute sets and cost significantly more than a regular gas powered boat. It's a neat idea but not practical. Battery technology isn't there to last a day on the water and for the vast majority of us that aren't rich and thus don't live on the water, recharging wouldn't be convenient. Even if the fast charge technology was there and insanely huge amp mains into lake homes were commonly available... Would you really want to be swimming next to a boat that's plugged in pulling a few hundred amps? I know I wouldn't feel comfortable being in the water anywhere near that thing!
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-14-2011, 11:59 AM Reply   
Fully electric, or Hybrid Electric?
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-14-2011, 12:36 PM Reply   
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=electric+nautique
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-14-2011, 12:37 PM Reply   
I never get to use that link.

http://www.nautique.com/blog/index/electric-nautique
Old     (05sante)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-14-2011, 12:51 PM Reply   
Its not an SAN 210, they did it with a SN 196 I believe. And its not planned for production, its still in development.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-14-2011, 3:53 PM Reply   
Yea, I'm not referring to the electric Ski Nautique. I was told that there is good chance that an electric wakeboard boat (SAN 210 I'm pretty sure) may be at a boat show next year.
Old    mmcorrectax            06-15-2011, 12:00 PM Reply   
The electric Nautiques are clearly not ready for production, but someone has to innovate for the technology to grow. The pulling power of Electric motors is amazing due to the instant torque you recieve. I am thinking a 230 for Colin with 8K of ballast planing instantly shooting fireballs as he throws a hoochie a back 3 off a double next year at the Spring Ride.

Jay,
Who did you happen to talk with?
Old     (HighVoltage)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-15-2011, 2:40 PM Reply   
Nautique has a long way to go to catch up to Epic on their Electric Boats.

Epics 232SE has been seen pulling team riders almost every day at their local Lagoon recently, they are usually out there for 3-6 hours at a time. It throws up a pretty mean wake with no ballast and can still run 40mph.

Its not uncommon to find 220VAC 50A marine service outlets at a marina, the 232SE has 9000 watts of on board charging to take full use of this service.

Check with their European dealers if you want more information/video since they are the ones selling them. http://www.epicboats.com/pdf/232se_Brochure-Web.pdf

As for the safety aspect, I would be more worried about sitting on a 50 gallon tank of extremely flammable and explosive liquid otherwise known as gas. Then having several thousand volts arching at just the precise moment hundreds/thousands of times a minute.

No its not for everyone, and its more expensive than most can afford. But that didn't stop the Tesla Roadster from paving the way in their industry. They first delivered product in 2008 to the tune of $110k plus, and now in 2011 you can go to your Nissan dealership and buy an electric Leaf for around $30k. Its not going to replace internal combustion boats, but it gives consumers an option if it makes sense for them.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       06-15-2011, 4:27 PM Reply   
Okay, so the Epic is an I/O with a Bravo drive. Briliant.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-16-2011, 5:46 AM Reply   
I wasn't trying to say that the Nautique would be ready for production or for sale next year. The impression that I got, was just that they'd have some sort of prototype viewable to the public or something. Casey, I'll shoot you an email with the name.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-16-2011, 6:29 AM Reply   
Kudos to Nautique for taking on the challenge, especially in these leaner times in the industry.
Old     (HighVoltage)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-16-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
Its defiantly smart of Nautique to start looking into this technology, to be honest I'm surprised more boat manufacturers aren't starting to develop it. The battery costs should come down in the next few years as well as the drive packages and make boats like this much more affordable. For someone who lives on a lake and likes to go out for a few sets after work and cruise at dusk, this is a dream come true.

The technology is still in its infancy and its already amazing, I can't wait to see what comes next.