Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ridealready)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-18-2011, 6:34 PM Reply   
Ok folks,

We have a 2006 Supra 21V and today the port side swim platform mount pulled loose from the transom. As some of you know it is simply drilled in with 5 self tapping wood screws. I know many people on this forum have had this same issue. I have contacted SC to see if they will warranty it but that could go either way. They have always been good to me so we will see what happens. So if they dont I have listed out a few questions below:

The screws come out on the inside of the transom under the floor so I would have to cut out a piece of the floor in order to put a backing plate and new bolts with nuts etc. Perhaps glassing over that as well is a good idea while we are in there? Also, how do I patch the hole in the floor that we cut out? Do we just use the piece we cut out and use an epoxy/resin to close it up?

Should we be doing the starboard side while we are at it? It's not loose at all but I guess its only a matter of time...

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       06-18-2011, 8:20 PM Reply   
You've had some water intrusion around those screws. The question is, is there any rot in the transom? If there is, it's a much bigger deal.

If you end up doing the repair yourself, find out how thick the deck is. Set your saw to that depth and cut it out. Trim back to bulkheads or stringers and cut a piece of ply wood to fill the area. Coat with epoxy and then install with 5200 and SS screws. Grind back floor to create a bevel and glass in the wood with resin and CSM. You can used 1708 cloth for strength if need be. Coat with 2 coats of gelcoat without wax and then a third with wax added or spray PVA.

I would do both sides while you are at it since the other side will fail at some point.
Old     (ridealready)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-18-2011, 9:57 PM Reply   
Everything is in tact and this was not a on going issue. The only screws that pulled lose were the top two. I removed the others to start from scratch. I have no wood in our boat and have no plans of adding any either. Are there any Supra owners out there who have had this issue and resolved it?

Our plans are to use a pneumatic rotary saw to remove the piece of floor. Use a marine grade stainless backing plate, new lag bolts with locking nuts, marine sealant on the exterior in between the transom and the mount itself to prevent water intrusion. Then glass over the backing plate inside to reinforce the area and seal it all back up and lay some new carpet in there.

Thoughts?
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-19-2011, 6:09 AM Reply   
http://www.northerntool.com/images/p...s/55868_lg.jpg

This is an example but you can find a threaded blind rivet tool in sizes much larger and specialized fasteners with splined edges in whatever alloy you need.

This will allow you to use a machine screw and a larger load area.
I have used this tool for applications such as yours with great success over the years. Boat builders are fond of attatching seat and hatch hinge screws into thin laminate with self tappers. They will always pull loose and tear. This fixes it forever.
I would spend 25$ and try this before cutting up your deck.
Good luck.
Old     (ridealready)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-19-2011, 9:07 PM Reply   
bump