Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-21-2005, 6:44 PM Reply   
What kind of things should I check out on used boats when I go to buy.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-21-2005, 6:50 PM Reply   
It floats!! (sorry i couldnt help myself)

(Message edited by wakeme884 on April 21, 2005)
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-21-2005, 7:44 PM Reply   
Kyle,

Go see Mikey or Tim at Gilbert Lake Marine in Caldwell. They will help you find a good used boat.

Basic Checklist:
-Check bilge for excessive oil residue or water retention
-Upholstery stitching and appearnace of all seats
-If wood stringers, thoroughly check floor and bilge compartments for soft spots or dry rot.
-Electronics: nav lights, bilge pump, blower, stereo, horn.
-Engine compartment: Hoses in good condition, belts not cracked or worn, coils and plugs, check oil filter to see when last oil change was done, usually indicated by mechanic writing hours on the filter, check bilge for any leaks or excessive residue.
-Test drive everything! If you're looking for a direct drive, v-drive, listen and feel for any prop vibration, check turning in both directions, couple of flat out runs to keep an eye on temp guage to monitor operating temps and impellar operation.
-Lastly, look at the trailer! Check to see bearing buddies are okay and greased, bunk carpeting in tact, fenders, tires, straps, prop guard, a trailer will give you a good indication of how well the boat has been maintained, as well as how many road trips she has had.

Any qualified dealer can usually do an inspection for minimal cost and at least you will have the peace of mind of knowing that the boat is going to be worth your time and money...

Good luck!
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-22-2005, 5:28 AM Reply   
Please check the engine block for freeze damage. I was sold a brand new boat with a cracked engine block due to freeze damage. Pull the dipstick too and make sure oil looks good.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-24-2005, 6:28 PM Reply   
Make sure there is no water in the oil, sure sign the block is cracked. Check the freeze plugs as well. I put a boat in the water one time, got to running and realized we were taking on a huge amount of water because these plugs weren't in. Easy fix, but could be devastating if overlooked.