Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (MalibuLX3)      Join Date: May 2010       06-17-2010, 9:54 PM Reply   
Hey guys

I'm looking to upgrade from my Liquid Force Rhythm 134, from I believe around year 2000. I just picked up some new, well 2009 Ronix Kai boots and I absolutely love them so far. I would consider myself an upper level beginner/lower level intermediate boarder, but I want something I can grow into. I would like to stay around $250, so I've been checking out 2009 boards. Also, I've snowboarded for awhile so I've got the whole carving thing down really well with wakeboarding.

I've been looking into some different boards, including but not limited to:

RONIX MANA WAKEBOARD 2009 $239

Does this board have molded fins meaning I could not remove them?

LIQUID FORCE LYMAN WAKEBOARD 2009 $219

I've seen a lot of references about "Lyman" in the forums? Is this one of the Lyman's people are talking about how great they are? If so, what makes them so wonderful?

RONIX ONE 2010 USED $250 (local)

Also, I'm 5'8" and 150lbs. What would be the ideal size board for me?

Do you guys have any other suggestions for me to check out? I really want a great board to learn off of and grow into.

Thanks
-Curtis
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-17-2010, 11:51 PM Reply   
never rode the mana but i tried a lyman once and it was very nice. it is keith lyman's board, thus the name it has a bit of a mid ground on the rocker style (not completely continuous or 3 stage) which helps it to be liked well. it takes a lot of features from the trip, which is what lyman rode before and is sold like hot cakes when it comes to packages and people looking for a first board to take them from beginner to potential pro.

Personally i prefer boards with more pronounced flex features, such a slingshot's boards. they are built with highgrade foam and wood and abs sidewalls. very very durable despite how flexy they are. many snowboarders are liking them, but that is not to say those who don't snowboard much wont like them. landings are nice and soft and for me they are just more fun and forgiving to ride. question is if you will feel the same.
some good deals can be found here if interested.
http://www.slingshotsports.com/wake-specials

as for your size of board... i would say between 137 and 142.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-18-2010, 2:58 AM Reply   
i would guess a 136 to 140 board . do you want a locked in board or a loose board?do you want a board with straight up pop or a board with a smooth arcing pop?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-18-2010, 3:38 AM Reply   
evogear.com has the mana for 239 then take 50 off outlet board.they also have a blem at 209 then 50 off. they have a 09 watson for 259 and 50 off that.it looks different than the one pictured above.the lyman in the picture above has 2 removable side fins and 2 molded{permanent} fins.

]
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-18-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
That Mana has molded fins that are not removable, but they are not very long. The center fins are the standard one inch Ronix fins which are removable. A kid we ride with just picked one up, but he didn't get to ride it as he didn't buy any bindings and the old 3DS's screws were too long to mount to this board.

The Lyman is awesome. Fast board with good pop. If you like a faster board, you will like the Lyman.

I have an 07 One. A bit slower, but pops high.

All three boards are pretty good choices.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-18-2010, 8:05 AM Reply   
Ideal size for you is exactly what Robert says. If you are more advanced I would recommend a larger size, 139.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       06-18-2010, 11:18 AM Reply   
b-side. best board out....so fast, pops very well. tons of fun
Old     (snoopy1173)      Join Date: May 2010       06-18-2010, 1:44 PM Reply   
Since you snowboarder......go with the 2009 slingshot response. Most fun wakeboard out there, and with the removable fins , its the perfect setup. Look on slingshotsports.com or just look online and youll find some boards from 200-300 bucks
Old     (MalibuLX3)      Join Date: May 2010       06-20-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
I'm a bit worried I won't like the loose feeling of the boards with more flex so I'd like to stay with something a little more traditional since I can't demo whatever I buy before hand. I found a 2009 Ronix ONE for like $250 brand new. I think I am going to grab it. Any thoughts on that board?

Thanks for the advice everyone, it seems the more I read the more confused I get!
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       06-22-2010, 4:36 AM Reply   
What are your preferences? The ONE is a little more poppy than the old premier models. The New B-side was completly revamped, but the rocker line is very similar. The One is a bit slower, so if your looking for something faster I wouldnt go with the one. Find something else.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-22-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
Lyman= Fast with good pop

One = Not so fast, but good pop

You will be fine with the One (I rode one for a couple of seasons). You seem to be leaning that way, so go for it.
Old     (MalibuLX3)      Join Date: May 2010       06-22-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
I ended up ordering the 09' Mana last night from Evogear since their sale was up at midnight. I figure it will be a great all around board for me to learn and progress on. Hopefully it comes soon, I'm excited to go to this new board from my old dinosaur of a board.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-22-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
if you progress to dean smiths level let me know i'll buy one too! LOL
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       07-13-2010, 4:01 AM Reply   
thats a pretty gen way of doing it, but that willl get you started.