Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 15, 2009

Old     (pvlp)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-05-2009, 2:13 PM Reply   
My family is ready to purchase a new boat here soon, and we've narrowed it down to the X45 and the malibu 247. just wonderin if you guys can give me some feedback about what makes you like either one over the other? thanks!
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-05-2009, 2:25 PM Reply   
oh boy
Old     (my_malibu)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-05-2009, 2:26 PM Reply   
test drive them both and compare
I prefer the 247
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-05-2009, 2:31 PM Reply   
Wow, both great boats. Just buy both and give me the other one.

I have a friend who has a 2007 X45 and I use to work as a salesmen for the Seattle Mastercraft dealer. My current roommate is a salesmen at the Seattle Malibu dealer. I have spent a lot more time in the X45 compared to the 247 though.

I think I like the X45 a little better but that is because I love the pickle fork. They both throw and awesome surf wake although with either to get really good you need to add bags in the rear compartments. The biggest difference in the 2 is how they are make and where the room is. The Mastercraft has a ton more room in the bow but less in the cockpit. You can fit 5 people in the bow of the 45 no problem. Either boat you are going to want at least the 400hp motor. They are both very high quality boats with a ton of cool features. Another thing I really like about the 45 is the snapout carpet and the one piece integrated deck, seat bases and floor. To me it ais a much more solid construction. I also think that the MC uses better components on some things. The windshield and the supports seem to be much more solid on the MC then the BU.

The things I like about the 247 are I like the tower a lot more. It is super easy to lower and titan among others make some great accessories. The only advantage of the MC with the tower is the standard swivel racks. The BU will throw a lot better wakeboard wake with the 4 tank ballast and wedge.

There is probably a bunch of other things that I like and dislike about each boat but you need to spend a couple hours in each one on a demo and see for yourself. Make sure and take the family with you so you can really see how you will use it.

(Message edited by polarbill on February 05, 2009)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-05-2009, 2:39 PM Reply   
247 seems odd looking since it is soooooo long in the mid section.

I've never actually been in a 247 so I donno about once you're in there, but it looks like old cadillac fleetwood limos.... just long and goonie.

x45 with the big bow (+1 for the pickle fork) and more "normal" sized mid it seems way more normal looking to me.

I've been in the 45 but never wakeboarded behind so I cannot speak about the wake
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-05-2009, 2:52 PM Reply   
I work at an MC dealer so I'll only comment on the MC, nothing against Bu just havent spent much time in one.

I love the X-45 bow, we use it a ton for loading and unloading friends. The textured walk way makes it easy to pull straight up to a dock, load/unlaod and back out. Don't get me wrong I have no issues docking a boat but the less time I spend at the dock is more time spent getting good water.

I also like the ability to store an anchor in the bow area, I don't live on the water and honestly don't use an anchor much but for the 4th of July its nice to know where the anchor is and not have it covered with vests, ropes, etc.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-05-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
Blang!!! Search function is your friend. There are a few more but this one has all the meat.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/279570.html
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-06-2009, 5:26 AM Reply   
I rode behind and drove both. I chose the 45. Both are awesome boats, the wake and dealer were my deciding factor. Good Luck.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-06-2009, 6:52 AM Reply   
I've never been behind either, but have been in other boats of both manufacturers. I'm pretty sure you won't be dissappointed with either. Keep in mind adding additional board racks may be an issue with the X45, and with a 24ft boat that may be something you need.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-06-2009, 7:38 AM Reply   
Why would additional board racks be an issue with the X45? I have additional racks on my '07 X45. I can store 8 set-ups at once. I don't understand.
Old     (ronix_one)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-06-2009, 7:55 AM Reply   
Sp0tts must have a Malibu? (and after checking, confirmed) Must be what his dealer told him to swing him into a Malibu over the MC...
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-06-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
I think that the boats are like the websites. I know that a site doesnt mean everything but in this case it fits.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-06-2009, 12:42 PM Reply   
Ronix One, seriously, if I wanted to bash, I wouldn't be talking about board racks... They're both great boats, I've yet to see that tower with more than one set of racks on it, the Z-line bimini is the only configuration I've seen and I haven't heard of that on a X45. And with a capacity of 18, it may be something that could be needed.

And for the record, I didn't have a boat for more than a year before I bought mine and I spent a lot of time in a lot of different boats that summer. In fact I spent more time in a Xstar with pro tour ballast and an RZ2 than any other boats.
Old     (ronix_one)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-06-2009, 1:02 PM Reply   
Sp0tts - Sorry man, was just having fun. It was meant as a joke, and my apologies if it came off any more serious than that. And I agree, both are VERY nice boats.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-06-2009, 1:51 PM Reply   
Sp0tts, no worries just didn't understand why you thought you couldn't add any extra, I've even thought of adding a couple more for a total capacity of 12 set-ups, it's true, both of those boats swallow people and gear.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-06-2009, 2:47 PM Reply   
It's all good, honestly there are features the MCs have that I wish Malibu offered, and vice versa.

Brett, is the 07 tower like the current one? How & where did you mount your extra racks?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-06-2009, 2:54 PM Reply   
Go demo them both... take lots of pics... then come back and post!
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-06-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
personally i have a 23 malibu and i think it looks long, the 247 is way to streched out go for the x 45.. boats tight
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-06-2009, 3:48 PM Reply   
The X-45 is one of my favorite boats of all, definitely roomy. I love the rear end of the 45, it just looks great, and I like the walkway across the sundeck. I would go for the 45 for aesthetics alone.
Old     (spolk69)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-06-2009, 6:35 PM Reply   
rz4
Old     (svoruz)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-06-2009, 7:37 PM Reply   
I'm have been in the exact same position. Narrowed it down to the same make and model. They both have a lot of great features and both are built very well. I think the decision has come down to the dealer, how they have treated us, and what we hope to expect from them after the purchase.
Old     (wakeitnofakeit)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-06-2009, 7:40 PM Reply   
can you tell us what you are paying?
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-08-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
I have extra racks mounted above the factory racks, just above the "lightning bolts" where the tower turns back into a regular tube configuration. I've thought about adding more on top. You need a rack that has pivoting mounts. It doesn't interfere with the bimini or the wake line.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-08-2009, 9:09 AM Reply   
Haven't been on a 247 but the X45 is one of the nicest boats on the market IMO. If I could have any boat that one would be right in the mix for sure.
Old     (ddeluca)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-08-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
I own a 247 2007 and now a 2009.
They drive and handle like a 21 foot MB boat.
the Gator fins did it for me.
The maliview also was huge advantage.
I also like the illusion xs tower look over the alum poles.

the x45 does not have these and turning on a dime to pickup a skier or cutting a corner fast to turn around was important to me.
Price was better with the BU. come see my 247 on the web. themalibucrew.com look for user name ddeluca
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-10-2009, 1:20 AM Reply   
I know going from the Malibu VLX to 23 LSV is a small amount of money for more boat, but going from the 23 LSV to the 247 LSV was a big jump. I agree Mastercrafts seem to be more expensive on average though. That's just my experience with a few dealers though.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-10-2009, 5:03 AM Reply   
David is spot on with his handling description. The 247 handles like a direct drive, it is awesome. The X45 is a lot heavier, I would highly recommend hydraulic steering as an option if you go the MC route. If I remember correctly, the X45 is almost 1000lbs heavier compared to the Bu when both are empty. Bad for maneuverability but great for making wakes. All I do is wakeboard, so sports car-like handling is cool but just not necessary, again it comes down to how YOU will use it. Good luck, you're in a very fun predicament.
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-10-2009, 5:40 AM Reply   
My family just bought an X-45, we were choosing between the X-Star and the 45. And we always have a ton of people with us so we decided on the 45. Shane Bonifay told me that the wake on the 45 is just as big as an X-Star, it just lips up different. I think the amount of space in the 45 is amazing. I wouldnt have chose any other boat.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       02-10-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
X45 is my favorite boat! go with the 45, plus it seats 18 ppl thats tons of room for friends family storage ballast etc
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-10-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
a 247 bu' just popped up in the classified section for under 60k
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-10-2009, 3:31 PM Reply   
Totally agree. Weighted correctly, the X45 puts out an awesome wake. I run 500 in lead in the nose at all times and depending upon the number of peeps up to 800 to 900 in additional sacks in the back end plus up to an additional 300 to 350 in the middle of the boat. You need the right prop as well for a decent hole shot and predictable tracking. I like the plate at 3/4 down at all times for wakeboarding, it makes it plenty rampy but allows the boat to still put a nice hard lip on top. Realize however, that with this setup you need to run at least 23 to 24 mph to clean it up, which is cool because I like to ride around 24 to 25. You can play with this setup by dropping factory ballast to pull less experienced riders at slower speeds. This wake setup delivers a rock hard ramp that's got plenty of kick. With the trim tab it's not too different than an Xstars ramp.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-10-2009, 4:05 PM Reply   
Anyone catch the prices of the X45 at the recent boat shows?