Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    SamIngram            01-07-2011, 1:40 PM Reply   
Mass Animal Death Maps and Links

What is everyone's theory?
Attached Images

Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-07-2011, 2:09 PM Reply   
Global warming! Al Gore FTW!
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-07-2011, 3:18 PM Reply   
Alien spaceships zipping around our airspace too fast and accidentally running into birds is what it is.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       01-07-2011, 4:43 PM Reply   
Slow news days and the interwebs. Doesn't sound to me like these events are all that uncommon. That being said, I imagine it's Obama's fault.
Old    bigdtx            01-07-2011, 5:52 PM Reply   
every time that homeless radio dude cuts a spot a subspecies calls it quits.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-07-2011, 6:40 PM Reply   
you're shooting them.

Last edited by ttrigo; 01-07-2011 at 6:41 PM. Reason: ..
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-07-2011, 6:58 PM Reply   
wes, i agree, i blame obama. hes been flying around too much in his jet!
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-07-2011, 8:00 PM Reply   
No guys, didn't you hear? Fox News says fireworks from new years killed all of these birds. No seriously, they said that. Bahahahaha. How about the 2 million fish kill in the Chesapeake Bay?

Some people are speculating that noxious gasses generated by the burnoff of the oil spill combined with the chemicals used to clean it up have formed pockets and it's killing the birds. There were cleanup workers who were getting serious burns to their lungs because the gases were so caustic that when they blew on shore they really messed with respiratory systems. Plus, there are possible serious long term effects in the coastal waters courtesy of Corexit, which was used because the company that makes it has quite a few ins with the government via lobbying of top officials...

Other people think that we're having a minor magnetic pole shift that's messing with the bird's ability to navigate, they get confused and just stop flying. They navigate using magnetic fields or something or other. Tampa International has supposedly shut down a runway to relocate it due to the magnetic compass directions changing drastically.

Honestly, I dunno, I'm just giving you some of the reason's that I've heard. But I'm just gunna say Fox News was right and that the flocks of birds that died days after New Years were because of fireworks on New Years...
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-07-2011, 10:28 PM Reply   
It might be time.

My truck is full of gas, guns, canned food, alcohol and ammo.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-07-2011, 11:38 PM Reply   
2012!! the end is NEAR!

In all reality i feel like i want to support Nicks theory about the caustic gas just because it seems like the only logical one, and i dont feel like losing any sleep over this.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-08-2011, 5:44 AM Reply   
The birds in Arkansas at least were killed overnight. Birds don't fly around at night - they roost. The most compelling idea I've heard was a small isolated tornado hit their roosting area.

But honestly, I think it's just slow news days. Fearmongering by the media always boosts their ratings.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-08-2011, 5:46 AM Reply   
Also, I for one won't miss any black birds or grackels. They are flying vermin. 5000 dead is just a good start.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-08-2011, 10:54 AM Reply   
Trace, there were a lot more than just the birds in Arkansas. Flocks have been dying all throughout the Eastern Seaboard of North America as well as South America... The concern is is that something serious could be happening that is indicated by the death of the birds. Clearly Fox News isn't trying to fear monger for once as they blamed it on friggin fireworks...

As for the shift in the magnetic pole... Well it seems to be true. Tampa shut down a runway. Which sucks because I'm flying in there next week...

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2011/jan...a-/news-money/
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       01-08-2011, 12:03 PM Reply   
I know the AR event wasn't the only one, but AFAIK it's the only recent event that was an abnormally large number of birds, and the only one with the birds showing physical trauma. Mass die-offs are not all that uncommon.

The sky is falling.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-08-2011, 12:38 PM Reply   
http://www.eutimes.net/2011/01/top-u...es-mass-death/
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-08-2011, 2:23 PM Reply   
Oil?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-08-2011, 11:36 PM Reply   
Bird Flu?
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-10-2011, 5:18 AM Reply   
Apocalypse.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-10-2011, 9:20 AM Reply   
Lamp.