Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-02-2007, 10:32 PM Reply   
We have had our boat for a while and are considering a new boat soon and since they dont have the 07 product for MB in the review section I decided to make a new one. So, has anyone ridden behind an F23 Tomcat and does it compare well to a Malibu 23 LSV? Im mainly looking at storage, wake, and interior.

Thanks in advance
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-03-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
ive ridden the tomcat a few times but never the 23lsv. the tomcat wake is huge, very rampy with a little kick at the top! from what i hear its similar to a malibu wake. the tomcat is an amazing boat! its very big, lots of interior room. if you want a big and flashy boat then look into it
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-03-2007, 10:55 AM Reply   
I have ridden both boats and the Tomcat wake is amazing. I think it's a better 23 foot wake than the LSV with no added wake. It has huge amounts of storage. Bow is definitely bigger. I really like the rear facing seat behind the driver. I almost bought one, but with not much time to use a boat like that I chose a used boat, BUT if I were in market for a new boat, it would definitely be a Tomcat!!!!! It absolutely will not take water over the bow! We tried and could not bury it! The 375hp engine pushes that boat perfectly!
Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-03-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
never ridden behind a bu but rode behind the tomcat last week and liked it a lot. very big boat and looks much better in person than in pics. We had 11-12 people and it didn't seem crowded at all. Nice boat!
Old     (longgonebon)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-03-2007, 6:27 PM Reply   
I've heard great things about it, haven't ridden it. I did hear it does not put out a good surf wake for some reason. I do love my MB.
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-03-2007, 8:16 PM Reply   
How is the quality of the interior? If I'm going to try to get my dad hooked on this boat it need sto be good.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-03-2007, 8:36 PM Reply   
Interior is very nice!
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-04-2007, 4:44 AM Reply   
I was in said boat w/ cdl and it was very impressive. It was part of the iRide Tour w/ Cobe, and me & my 2 daughters sat up front the whole time while the other 7 adults sat in back. Tons of room & sweet wake. We could have easily fit another adult or 2 more kids up front. Go here for some pics (warning, most of us suck :-) ):
http://users.adelphia.net/~dan.michelle/Wakeboarding/iRide/index.html

I have ridden behind a 23 LSV, and I liked the Tomcat better. However, my friend's Wedge was broken at the time, and I've heard the wedge makes all the difference. The interior on the Tomcat is top quality, and it laid out nice also.
I will tell you that I have a B52 V23 TE, so my opinions may be biased. :-)
Old     (towdaddy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-04-2007, 6:56 AM Reply   
I have a new Tomcat. Very nice Boat, over all on a scale of 1-10 it's a 8 1/2. The wake is large and a nice ramp, for Surfing still working on getting the wave to load up nice. Room is great never anything on the floor because of tons of storage. Interior is A+. Ride in the water is Very good handle the chop like butter. The ski wake is a little large for the cut and burn if your into sking. The drives seat is great, I send 90% in that seat towing my kids and it very nice.

Now lets talk about the trailer,
Unload is good but to load is a little harder, trailer must be in deap and you can't rush. The side guides should be about 6 inchs taller. The spare mount sucks it drag all the time. I showed my dealer how to fix but!!!??? Fender to tire clearance is very close.
Old     (retch)      Join Date: May 2007       06-04-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
How well does the new dynamic rear mounted spoiler work? At ~20mph does it get enough wind on the spoiler to really force the back of the boat into the water adding to the wake? How does the x-drive compare to the v-drive? Sick boat.
Old     (longgonebon)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-04-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
Interiors on MBs are super nice. Lots of Billet, top notch construction. I don't think you will be dissapointed with the interior on any MB.
Old     (redneckracing)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-11-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
The interior of the MB may be nice, but attention to actual boat function I feel got overlooked. You can make anything look pretty, but i want performance and good wake boarding. So I would not buy the MB.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-11-2007, 11:46 AM Reply   
What about the performance did you find lacking Shaun? What did you not like about the wake? I'm looking at these boats as well, and am curious
Old     (xmarksthespot)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-11-2007, 11:58 AM Reply   
best knock off x-star by far!
Old     (redneckracing)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-11-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
the weighting of the boat and placement of your passengers was very picky. You change riders or even placement of even one person in the boat and you have to reconfigure the whole boat. Where the x-star or a Malibu is more forgiving, plus the x-star puts out a better more constantly better shaped wake.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-11-2007, 12:27 PM Reply   
Not that I have been able to ride the MB, but shaun, it sounds like you are seriously buying into marketing hype. Actually, your above 2 comments sound like straight marketing hype, so much so that I wonder if they couldn't be used in some sort of a 2 page magazine spread. Not to hate on your opinion, it just sounds sort of unsubstantiated.
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-11-2007, 12:46 PM Reply   
I've seen it in person and think its hideous.

Can't imagine comparing it to any malibu.
Old     (masterxstar)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-11-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
that boat is sick!!!
Old     (redneckracing)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-11-2007, 12:54 PM Reply   
Thats understandable garret, but if want a good boat buy anything but an MB. Marketing only as far as the front door. Get out on the lake and find out for yourself.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-11-2007, 1:00 PM Reply   
I rode it this last weekend..... I like the boat, but then I like the 23ft team as well. The wake is a bit wide, but very nice. It has a great little kick at the top.

It's been a while since I've ridden behind a LSV, but the wake was quite a bit different from the last LSV I rode behind. By different, I don't mean better or worse, I mean different. The wake isn't much like the X-star I'm used to. They're both wide, but the X-star is a smooth, rampy wake. I have no trouble casing behind that boat even with the wide wake. IMO the X-star wake is much more like an LSV. The Tomcat wake worked me a couple times, but I didn't have much time to get used to it. I came around from what I though was going to be a clean BS 3 and cased the wake super hard. I thought I was well clear of the second wake. It's the little lip at the top that makes you work harder to get across. The X-star takes you more out, the Tomcat takes you more up and as a result you have to give it that little extra pull to get clear of the wake. Definitely something that'd be easy to get used to.

The 2 speed is alright with me.... It helps a big boat get on plane, though we still had a bit of trouble getting rolling and we only had 3 people on board. I don't know what motor was in that boat, but it was working out of the hole for sure.

Overall, fit and finish seemed nice to me. The interior is frickin huge. The biggest downer I found was that it rides poorly in chop for a boat that large. All in all.... I would definitely put in in the list of boats to look at. Would I trade our X-star for it? No...., but it was a nice and very different ride.
Old     (redneckracing)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-11-2007, 2:13 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help Evan. Like I said, I would not buy a tomcat until MB got some things figured out.
Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-12-2007, 6:16 PM Reply   
shaun I saw on the B52 V23 thread that you have a MB? Why tell some not to buy one? Did you have problems with it?
Old     (macgiver)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-15-2007, 4:32 PM Reply   
Shaun,
I work on almost every wake boat made and I can tell you for sure(not taking performance into account) that MB is probably the best constructed boat out there. Fit, finish, quality of materials etc. I am on my 3rd. I have an 07 B52v and love it.
Old     (redneckracing)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-19-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
I do have an 06 mb, maybe I just got a bad boat, others i have rode on seemed to be okay. But my boat has had problems from day one.
Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-19-2007, 5:53 PM Reply   
What problems did you have? Did they take care of it?
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-19-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
this really sounds like a "love it" or "hate it" boat
Old    bocephus            06-19-2007, 9:46 PM Reply   

quote:

By Aaron (macgiver) on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 4:32 pm:

Shaun,
I work on almost every wake boat made and I can tell you for sure(not taking performance into account) that MB is probably the best constructed boat out there. Fit, finish, quality of materials etc. I am on my 3rd. I have an 07 B52v and love it.

Huh? Better than Correct Craft, Sanger and MC???

quote:

By shaun king (redneckracing) on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 2:19 pm:

I do have an 06 mb, maybe I just got a bad boat, others i have rode on seemed to be okay. But my boat has had problems from day one.

Sounds familiar to me that's for sure!
Old     (macgiver)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-21-2007, 2:51 PM Reply   
Yes, They may not be as fancy in there apperance but almost every thing they do is exicuted well.
When you reached under any surface in the boat you wont pull your hand out full of fiberglass shards.